New iMore App: Official Feedback Thread

jschu22

Oct 19, 2014
Visit site
Actually, as iMore hopes to expand its readership to those less tech savvy, I think those are two key elements of the site/app.

I think it's safe to say a vast majority of visits to the app result in neither of those being used- even for the less savy users. If that's not the case then iMore needs to do some serious content work as those two categories typically cater to very brief needs.

durfmobile

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
(Copy/paste my comments from the comment section since I didn't see the link to this forum the first time I read the article)

It would be nice if the Section Title stuck to the top of the screen while scrolling until the next section took its place.

Can't find a way to jump to a section. Have to scroll & scroll. *see note below about scrolling performance.

Sections too short prior to "load all" button, only shows 4 articles, then when I tap [read more] about 10 seconds later I'm looking at the same 4 articles first.

Can't swipe right from left edge to go back to list, only goes to previous story, have to use my finglonger to reach the tiny top left back arrow; breaking iOS GUI protocol.

Content blocker breaks comments when entering "safari kit" (whatever) view. This means I have to load the article 3 times to leave a comment. Don't you dare go back to reference the article while typing a comment, you must copy first, then reload 2 more times, then paste, so don't try to c/p from the article.

Comment window is too small (on iPhone 6) - URL bar & big blank gray space above, big (Comment) button below - waste of screen real estate.

Scrolling inertia is too low; scrolling feels laborious compared to every other app/site.

Scrolling is laggy & jittery. I assume the article thumbnails are loading only after I start to scroll. Maybe my poor little iP6 just can't keep up. I'm on fast internet right now, will have to test again on slower cellular.

Unclear if comment replies will generate app notifications - a feature I would like. I assume not since we have to go into safari kit for comments in the first place, and since I don't see a toggle to allow notifications for comments. I know I can turn on email notifications, but I'd rather just go straight to the comments in the article by tapping the notification.

Be more perfect faster!!! /s

(Part 2)

"Featured" has a "More Recent" button, which only goes back to yesterday's articles... ? Would like an "All Articles" [in chronological order] section. Readers will surely miss many articles with the current configuration.

Seriously, add the "swipe right from left edge to go back" gesture. That back arrow is too small of a target. I hate that every single iOS app puts the back button up there to begin with, and when the swipe-back gesture is gone or flaky, I delete the app. I deleted Facebook & Amazon bc that gesture only worked 1/2 the time, so I'll give iMore one more update before it goes the way of the flappy bird.
I mean, I understand you want to make changes, and sometime you have to tear down the whole building bc the foundation can't support your plans, but don't invite the tenants to move in before the new building is complete. If the elevator is slow and jerky, if the AC isn't installed, if the lights flicker, if the toilets are flowing the wrong direction, they're going to move out. Changing the colors is the easy part, it's what the users notice first, but lack of function stops them from coming back, no matter how attractive the form. I'm not a web developer; I couldn't do better, right now. If it were my job I would not publish with such omitions and oversites.

(Part 3)
I just visited iMore.com on my 13" iPad Pro... wow... the text is huge in landscape orientation, waste of screen space. Also, the text field for this forum is about 3/4" tall, requiring tedious scrolling, again, wasted screen space.

Why does opt+delete not delete the whole word on imore.com? (Not the only site, maybe a Safari bug, but does work on some, I think!; strange. These work: opt+shift+left arrow selects one whole word at a time. Opt+left/right arrow works)

❤️U iMore!

Cakefish

Apr 5, 2016
Visit site
I think it's safe to say a vast majority of visits to the app result in neither of those being used- even for the less savy users. If that's not the case then iMore needs to do some serious content work as those two categories typically cater to very brief needs.
Not to mention buy guide only really caters to people living in the US.

iSRS

iOS & macOS Champion, Trusted Member
Champion
Jan 10, 2011
Visit site

Completely understand your point.

While my less tech savvy friends and family may not frequent this site, I use it as an invaluable resource when they reach out to me for help. When they have a question, I will often point them to a link on this site for the instructions. If I've sent them a few links in the past, I will say, "Did you check iMore?" and send a link. Now, I can have them install the app, and the tips will be that much easier to find.

iSRS

iOS & macOS Champion, Trusted Member
Champion
Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Not to mention buy guide only really caters to people living in the US.

Perhaps that is true. Pricing wise, that is. However, the "best this for this type" I think could be valuable for many, especially that newer audience I mention above.

This is a 1.0 app redesign. Perhaps a future update could bring a customizable lower bar with "Forums" being an option. The default could be as it is now. But us "more tech savvy" users could remove "Tips" or "Buying Guide" if we didn't want them.

Great feedback so far. Keep it coming!

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Perhaps that is true. Pricing wise, that is. However, the "best this for this type" I think could be valuable for many, especially that newer audience I mention above.

This is a 1.0 app redesign. Perhaps a future update could bring a customizable lower bar with "Forums" being an option. The default could be as it is now. But us "more tech savvy" users could remove "Tips" or "Buying Guide" if we didn't want them.

Great feedback so far. Keep it coming!

I never accessed the forum in the iMore app anyway. It never had Image posting. I'd rather see it add the accounts page with a log in.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
For a news app I think it's fine and serves its purpose. However, I think commenting on the articles is important so hopefully you'll be adding that as a feature in the near future.

What I think would work wonderfully for this app is the same feature that Safari on iOS has; Reader View. Add that and reading in your news app will be perfection.

As for this bold warning yellow thing you've got going on, don't care much for that. Apple blue is a better color for relaxing while reading.

Good job with keeping the news app separate from the forums app. Seems I may be one of the few who can appreciate that as I visit the forums on my desktop computer, and read most news articles on my phone.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
For days I've been comparing the old version with the new beta version. I have not updated the old app. The more I look at both, the more I like the old version better. In the new version, when you open to a new section, there's a big image at the top. Usually a photo of an iPhone. Why? This takes up a lot of space. Then there's only 3 or 4 story options visible. To see more, you have to tap on a button. Why? In the old version, there's no huge image taking space and to see more stories you just scroll down. Simple and more convenient.

Chuck_IV

Apr 12, 2016
Visit site
I hate this app now, just like I hate Tapatalk. This latest update make the same idiotic change to the way stickies are handled as Tapatalk. Now they flood the top of the list and are all always visible instead of being in their own group. The worst part is if you hide them, you can no longer make them visible unless they get updated.

Ugh, gonna have to rethink using this app just like I hardly ever use Tapatalk anymore.

TheRewardisCheese

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
Suggestion: please update the Forums app for the iPhone X aspect ratio. Currently looks like it formatting for a 4.7” screen with severe letter-boxing

Chuck_IV

Apr 12, 2016
Visit site
Wow, not only do you make the app functionally worse(see my April comment), now you change the app to an obnoxious YELLOW. The Yellow HAS TO GO. I mentioned the same thing in the site thread too, but it is especially true with the iOS app. I've actually moved the imore iOS icon off my iOS pages into a sub-folder because the yellow icon obnoxiously stands out like a sore thumb and within the app, I can hardly read the titles and other things because the yellow being so bright with white writing on it. PLEASE offer an alternative color choice. The old blue was fine. Please bring it back.

Come on people, whoever is coming up with the poor design choices, please stop it.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
You can always use Tapatalk and then you don’t have to look at the bright neon yellow.
762b9e97bd0a2aa3b5f940897fd4bdf5.jpg

comiken205

Dec 6, 2015
Visit site
I actually love the new app! I can see pictures and everything just works. The neon yellow is good because I know where my app is. Thx for the update!

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
I have searched the official iMore Forums app as well as Tapatalk, and didn't find it, so I'm going to ask here.

Does the official iMore Forums app not let you report posts?

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I have searched the official iMore Forums app as well as Tapatalk, and didn't find it, so I'm going to ask here.

Does the official iMore Forums app not let you report posts?

I think you tap on "report" on the black option bar in TapaTalk.
f1b3385057b5e8b1ee2e870f16d9dcdf.jpg

In the iMore forums app, you tap on "more" on the black option bar, then get these options.
ea2ec476d9eff1e81674e6bd44fc4e65.jpg

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
So now TapaTalk beta is showing the ugly yellow on iMore. This is really sad. It's just too horribly ugly. I had to switch from the beta to the App Store version to get away from the ugly yellow. Here's how ridiculous it looks on TapaTalk beta.
a702c08435e3e580c16a11cd8815d355.jpg

Please, ditch the yellow! Blue was so much nicer!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711