New Forum Design: Official Feedback Thread

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Heeeeeeeey everyone! Chances are you've noticed our new forums are here. We've put a lot of hard work into it, along with the help of some of our best volunteers and members (members like you).

Now that this design is live for all, we want to make sure we listen and FIX any bugs or issues that still remain. That's what this thread is for!

If you encounter any bugs, problems, ANYTHING at all with our forum design, please post your feedback here. Your help is key, as it will help the overall design and performance for ALL members!

Thank you in advance for your help!

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
For me, the entire text is too difficult to read without zooming it up. Especially the blue text. It's too low contrast for me.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I really like the night view!!! The times are off however. I've checked my settings and the corrected time zone is listed, so I don't know what else to do!

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
The quick style chooser isn't working? Also like 30% of the pages seem to be covered in ads, and the same ones at that. Not sure if that's intentional?

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
Let me also state that the style chooser is not working on Chrome on a desktop. I don't like how the command buttons are all just icons, it makes it more difficult for users to figure out -- especially users new to the forums. If you had this style when I first came to the forums, I doubt I would have signed up.

Overall, maybe this is just the "old" in me talking, but this seems like a design created for kids -- with icons instead of words for commands (and fairly small icons, particularly compared to text size), the large "cutesy" font you have changed to, etc. I feel like I've lost a lot of the functionality of the old forum, in an attempt to make things "simpler" (which I think it largely fails at) and faster.

Edit:: Previously I did not seem to have the ability to edit my posts. Not sure if this is something you fixed but that little pencil looking icon was not there earlier.

Second edit: The issue with the edit icon, as well as the link and report icon, is that they get hidden behind quoted posts, to the point that are (mostly) hidden.

Last edited:

njlx2016

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
Overall, maybe this is just the "old" in me talking, but this seems like a design created for kids -- with icons instead of words of commands (and fairly small icons, particularly compared to text size), the large "cutesy" font you have changed to, etc. I feel like I've lost a lot of the functionality of the old forum, in an attempt to make things "simpler" (which I think it largely fails at) and faster.

I second this. The fonts are way too big and I also miss the darker color scheme of the old forum, especially in the margins.

Speaking of the margins...

It also seems that there is too much dead space on higher resolution monitors. On my 1900x1200 display, the actual content of a forum / thread only takes up about 1/3rd of the width of the screen. I don't remember the old style being like that.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Keep the feedback and bug hunting up everyone - we really appreciate it!
Despite 2 months of testing we see that several things broke when we pushed it live - we are dealing with everything as quickly as we can, we promise.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
The font when typing replies is kind of light. May make it difficult to see for some.

There is also a lot of extra dead space. Not sure if that's intentional or not.

The cursor when typing is huge (that could just be a nitpicky complaint though).

That's all I've got for now.

Rockdog97

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
I personally dont really like the new layout.. I liked how you could glance at a forum and see/click on the subtopics w/o having to now click on say IOS10, then have that page open then find the subsection.

also, when looking at "likes" in your message inbox, the text of the subject seems to be all jacked up. at least for me you can't read the text of the thread in which the person "liked" something.

i dont like the wasted space around the margins either.

Dont like the font size either.

what do I like? maybe I'll find something.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
One thing I don't like is when I switch from TapaTalk to the site in Safari for a thread, I have to scroll way down a long list of options before reaching the thread itself. Also, I'm seeing some lap over on the left side. See image.
d54925581f47569e171e0180e477d2db.jpg

anon(5630457)

Sep 29, 2015
Visit site
When I view iMore on Safari on my 7 Plus, I notice there are many cut-off words on the left side of the screen, where only half of the forum names are showing up. It doesn't fix itself in portrait or landscape mode. See Ledsteplin's pic above. I'm having that exact same issue.

Otherwise, I'm liking the changes, especially how much more quickly everything is loading!

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site
Firstly, Big thank you to all that were involved in the upgrading of the site. I know some don't like the new look but i think it's fresh and brings new life to the forums. Ill be using 'Dark Theme' pretty much all the time. So awesome. It's also so nice to see that bugs are being fixed so quickly. For example the 2 links at the top right of each post have been pushed up a little so its not completely blocked by text or quoted messaged. :) I would still like it to be a little higher but it's good for now. There is a small thing i noticed which isn't really an issue but when someone has edited their post, you can't really see the text in 'Dark Theme'.
Screen Shot 2017-02-25 at 9.56.03 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-02-25 at 10.00.07 AM.png

zocster

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
@Ledsteplin I'm seeing same thing too using tapatalk. Not so using mtalk on windowsm..

There is something dodgy with tapatalk and MoNa for sure

Edit: went to chrome from tapatalk all is ok .. Very strange
Edit 2: still not working even on chrome. Anything tapatalk not working ...

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
When I view iMore on Safari on my 7 Plus, I notice there are many cut-off words on the left side of the screen, where only half of the forum names are showing up. It doesn't fix itself in portrait or landscape mode. See Ledsteplin's pic above. I'm having that exact same issue.

Otherwise, I'm liking the changes, especially how much more quickly everything is loading!

Any chance you could screengrab that for us?

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I like it! For some reason, the biggest thing for me is being able to @ users. Should cut down on the reasons for quoting posts.

trparky

Feb 20, 2015
Visit site
A couple of issues...
This picture should explain it.
dark color with white formatting buttons.png
The formatting buttons are white on a dark background.

And then there's the white upload window on the dark theme.
dark color with white upload window.png

There's also something weird with the text formatting in the reply textbox.
weird formatting.png
I don't have any text formatting so why is the cursor so huge?

By the way I'm using Google Chrome on Windows.

Also when you go and subscribe to a thread and you're on the dark theme the screen that confirms you've been subscribed is white. It's very abrupt when looking at a dark screen and then all of a sudden you have a white screen.

Also, how do you open a thread and automatically go to the first unread post?