When writing a new post, please use proper punctuation and correct spelling! It makes it a lot easier to understand what you are saying
    02-18-2017 10:27 AM
    Who are you referring to??
    And please keep in mind that there are members here from all over the world.
    Some of them with good spelling, some with bad, some are dyslexic, some are not.
    Some speak natively English, some don't.

With that in mind, I have to say the general quality of English is pretty high on iMore.
    02-18-2017 10:49 AM
    When writing a new post, please use proper punctuation and correct spelling! It makes it a lot easier to understand what you are saying
    Amen to that, but we can't overlook the fact that we have members from all over the world, and all of our members have varying levels of education.
    02-18-2017 11:14 AM
    Who are you referring to??
    And please keep in mind that there are members here from all over the world.
    Some of them with good spelling, some with bad, some are dyslexic, some are not.
    Some speak natively English, some don't.

With that in mind, I have to say the general quality of English is pretty high on iMore.
    I'm not going to point fingers at a specific person. I do realize that members are from all over the world. I just get frustrated when I can't understand what they're trying to say.
    Tartarus and aximtreo like this.
    02-18-2017 11:37 AM
    Amen to that, but we can't overlook the fact that we have members from all over the world, and all of our members have varying levels of education.
    Again, I know that. But they should still know how to use commas and periods at the appropriate place in their sentences.
    02-18-2017 11:39 AM
    Again, I know that. But they should still know how to use commas and periods at the appropriate place in their sentences.
    Personally, it's not my place to say what others should and shouldn't know. I generally don't have an issue understanding the conversations that take place here on iMore. Should people use proper grammar and punctuation? Sure. But I'm not sure it's anyone's place to police that and tell others what they should know. In addition to the fact that people are here from all over the world with varying levels of education. Seems kind of condescending to assume what others should know without knowledge of WHO they are.

I'd say it's best to be understanding. Both sides.
    02-18-2017 11:51 AM
    I'm not going to point fingers at a specific person. I do realize that members are from all over the world. I just get frustrated when I can't understand what they're trying to say.
    Believe me, I understand and share in your frustration...
    BreakingKayfabe likes this.
    02-18-2017 12:02 PM
    I agree, but .... an argument can be made that what was frowned upon in my generation is considered the norm nowadays.

Using "your" when they should be using "you're" drives me insane. But I try to focus on helping them with their problem rather than focus on their inefficiency with spelling and punctuation. Know what I mean?
    02-18-2017 12:10 PM
    I agree, but .... an argument can be made that what was frowned upon in my generation is considered the norm nowadays.

Using "your" when they should be using "you're" drives me insane. But I try to focus on helping them with their problem rather than focus on their inefficiency with spelling and punctuation. Know what I mean?
    I know what you mean but I'd just be happy if they used commas and periods! I hate run on sentences and they can be very confusing. That is all I'm going to say on this subject!!
    Just_Me_D and aximtreo like this.
    02-18-2017 01:13 PM
    I understand the frustration. Like others have said, I try to be mindful of the fact that we have people from all over the world and various education levels. If I really can't understand someone or if they type what should be two or three paragraphs as one long sentence, I just move along. Its just not worth getting frustrated over.
    Quis89, aximtreo, pr1nce and 1 others like this.
    02-18-2017 03:13 PM

knot sher wut meen,
    02-18-2017 03:16 PM
    As stated sometimes it's just a language barrier. .
    Remington Steel likes this.
    02-18-2017 03:19 PM
    I know what you mean but I'd just be happy if they used commas and periods! I hate run on sentences and they can be very confusing. That is all I'm going to say on this subject!!
    I know what you mean, but I'd just be happy if they used commas, and periods! I hate run on sentences, and they can be very confusing.

There, I fixed it for you. Lol, just messing, but I had to.
    p3t3rPan, Quis89 and Annie_8plus like this.
    02-18-2017 05:06 PM

Your write

What drives me insane is the use of "of", as a verb. Like "I should of"
    02-18-2017 05:15 PM
    if they type what should be two or three paragraphs as one long sentence, I just move along. Its just not worth getting frustrated over.
    I am not a native speaker.
    Once in a while, but not lately, we encounter very few people who appear to be just lazy in typing out texts on phones. No capitalization, no punctuation and no periods. Yet, I can tell that his/her grammar is near perfect. These people should exercise a bit more courtesy for those who would read such texts. Other than that, most, if not all, people here are fabulous.
    02-18-2017 06:22 PM
    Follow-up questions help with that.
    02-18-2017 06:35 PM
    Best of luck with your endeavor
    MB64, Spencerdl and JustMcKay like this.
    02-18-2017 06:43 PM
    My pet peeve is the misuse of "then" and "than".
    Just_Me_D and JustMcKay like this.
    02-18-2017 08:04 PM
    I personally could care less. If I don't understand what a person is trying to say, I just ask them or leave it alone. Some of us wasn't fortunate enough to have a formal education or write/speak a difficult language such as English with many words that sound alike or spelled similar. I thought we were here to have fun and learn about our products, not go to school. I left school over 30 years ago and I have a memory problem, so I do the best that I can and yes sometimes I forget and make mistakes. If you're educated enough to figure out the difference between "your and you're" or "then and than", I'm sure you can figure out what a person is trying to get across. Seriously, this is a thread?
    Last edited by Spencerdl; 02-18-2017 at 10:58 PM.
    02-18-2017 10:37 PM
    I personally could care less. If I don't understand what a person is trying to say, I just ask them or leave it alone. Some of us wasn't fortunate enough to have formal education or write/speak a difficult language such as English with many words that sound alike or spelled similar. I thought we were here to have fun and learn about our products, not go to school. I left school over 30 years ago and I have a memory problem, so I do the best that I can and yes sometimes I forget. If you're educated enough to figure out the difference between "your and you're" or "then and than", I'm sure you can figure out what a person is trying to get across. Seriously, this is a thread?
    Ha! You're old...I mean...ur olddd! ❤️
    Spencerdl and JustMcKay like this.
    02-18-2017 10:41 PM
    Ha! You're old...I mean...ur olddd! ❤️
    LOL ...Yes I am, but Ledsteplin is much older than me.
    02-18-2017 10:42 PM
    LOL ...Yes I am, but Ledsteplin is much older than me.
    It's okay. I'll still help both of you cross the street. Like a lady.
    Spencerdl, Ledsteplin and aximtreo like this.
    02-18-2017 10:51 PM
    Exactly! And if you have an accent....are you teased because you can't be understood ? Just try to read it and understand what they are saying without judging on if they used proper grammar. We are here to help each other with tech questions and be supportive of each other. This isn't school. Let it be.
    02-18-2017 11:15 PM
    knot sher wut meen,
    LOL!!!! dork
    rong21 likes this.
    02-19-2017 08:33 AM

I'm from that same generation and it KILLS me that it's now part of everyday speech and written form. I'm starting to think that's probably why so many people never understand me when I talk but always ask me to proofread something, lol.
    02-19-2017 08:35 AM
57 123