Can I make a suggestion?

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
Exactly! And if you have an accent....are you teased because you can't be understood ? Just try to read it and understand what they are saying without judging on if they used proper grammar. We are here to help each other with tech questions and be supportive of each other. This isn't school. Let it be.

DarlaMack

Apple TV Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
I agree, but .... an argument can be made that what was frowned upon in my generation is considered the norm nowadays.

Using "your" when they should be using "you're" drives me insane. But I try to focus on helping them with their problem rather than focus on their inefficiency with spelling and punctuation. Know what I mean?

I'm from that same generation and it KILLS me that it's now part of everyday speech and written form. I'm starting to think that's probably why so many people never understand me when I talk but always ask me to proofread something, lol.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
.... If you're educated enough to figure out the difference between "your and you're" or "then and than", I'm sure you can figure out what a person is trying to get across. Seriously, this is a thread?
I am indeed educated and my record for trying to help people in these forums and in others over the years speak for itself. Still, there are times when I cannot understand what is being asked. We've ALL come across threads like that! No assistance can be rendered without effective communication, and thus my typical reply is "please join the iMore Forums to reply in this thread" or "to explain in detail what it is you're asking so that we can better assist you". The misuse of the terms "your", "then", and "of" are personal irritants that do not prevent me from trying to assist the person misusing the terms.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I am indeed educated and my record for trying to help people in these forums and in others over the years speak for itself. Still, there are times when I cannot understand what is being asked. We've ALL come across threads like that! No assistance can be rendered without effective communication, and thus my typical reply is "please join the iMore Forums to reply in this thread" or "to explain in detail what it is you're asking so that we can better assist you". The misuse of your, then, and of are personal irritants that do not prevent me from trying to assist the person misusing the terms.

Yes, same here. I've been around for as long or longer. The person that makes a spelling error or miss uses a word or phrase shouldn't be criticized especially if they still get their point across.
Once again we are not in school and there are no English grades being given. We are here for fun and to gain more knowledge concerning our Apple devices.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Yes, same here. I've been around for as long or longer. The person that makes a spelling error or miss uses a word or phrase shouldn't be criticized especially if they still get their point across.
Once again we are not in school and there are no English grades being given. We are here for fun and to gain more knowledge concerning our Apple devices.

That's just it...The OP made a suggestion that many of us agree with. This is NOT a thread in which someone is asking for assistance and his or her post is full of grammatical errors, and therefore, no particular person is being criticized.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm from that same generation and it KILLS me that it's now part of everyday speech and written form. I'm starting to think that's probably why so many people never understand me when I talk but always ask me to proofread something, lol.

Same here. I get asked to proofread numerous items on a regular basis. Anyway, in high school and in college, I had English instructors/professors whose classes many students avoided. ...... They didn't play and were sticklers in regard to the use of proper English. I've seen papers that were so full of red markings that they looked as if they were bleeding...(laughing)...The thing is, I'll speak slang all day long, but if you give me something to type or write, I'm all business.

aximtreo

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Hey ya'll. I speak southern so let me know if you don't understand some of my post. My tongue gets wrapped around my eye teeth sometimes and I can't see what I'ma saying.

Just having some fun but the Southern part is correct. A cross between NC and GA. LOL

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
That's just it...The OP made a suggestion that many of us agree with. This is NOT a thread in which someone is asking for assistance and his or her post is full of grammatical errors, and therefore, no particular person is being criticized.

That's just it...I DON'T agree with this thread. We ALL use slang and we ALL make mistakes. If there's a post that has that many grammatical errors, don't respond let someone else figure it out and just move along. It's not about a particular person being criticized, it's about grammar errors being a problem.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Hey ya'll. I speak southern so let me know if you don't understand some of my post. My tongue gets wrapped around my eye teeth sometimes and I can't see what I'ma saying.

Just having some fun but the Southern part is correct. A cross between NC and GA. LOL

I hear you......I'm currently in NC, but I'm from FL, and working on moving back there. The taxes here are killing me...

DarlaMack

Champion
Dec 8, 2011
Visit site

lol I'm currently in NC and being from NY people have the audacity to claim that they don't know what I'm saying!!

DarlaMack

Champion
Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
What did you say?...LOL

08314f3a6e42bf935635baa680a1e3c6.jpg

JustMcKay

Feb 19, 2017
Visit site
I don't really mind. As long as I can understand!
But when I can't, I ask them to explain what they mean. I doubt anyone masters English.

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site
I get that there are posters from many origins here, but let's not kid ourselves, the OP is addressing a growing number of offenders that are just plain dumb and lazy by choice ...

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I learned a long time ago not to judge people because you rarely know what someone has going on. I've had three different members, none which are active now, PM me and personally thank me for accepting their challenges and not judging them. One of them actually posted that they are (they're) mentally challenged and another had a stroke and sometimes found it difficult to remember like myself. I personally think calling people dumb and lazy is wrong. Do I find this thread/subject sensitive...YES I DO. Do we as a community not accept them? I Look at iMore/Mobile Nations as a place to come and have FUN, and not worry about making a simple grammatical mistake(s)....So did I make a mistake with "they're" or "they are"?

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
As someone with Turkish roots born in the Netherlands and started learning English at the age of 11, I have to say this gave me insight as to why people use some synonyms instead of the proper word, why they use verbs wrong, why their sentences are not in the proper order and so on.
Speaking 4 languages from fluent to proper its not hard for me to understand certain threads/posts.
And when or if I fail to understand what's said or asked I leave that thread be. I'm not gonna frustrate myself over such silly things as life is already too short. #YOLO

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner