Can I make a suggestion?

edswife1970

Oct 23, 2015
Visit site
When writing a new post, please use proper punctuation and correct spelling! It makes it a lot easier to understand what you are saying

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Who are you referring to??
And please keep in mind that there are members here from all over the world.
Some of them with good spelling, some with bad, some are dyslexic, some are not.
Some speak natively English, some don't.

With that in mind, I have to say the general quality of English is pretty high on iMore.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
When writing a new post, please use proper punctuation and correct spelling! It makes it a lot easier to understand what you are saying

Amen to that, but we can't overlook the fact that we have members from all over the world, and all of our members have varying levels of education.

edswife1970

Oct 23, 2015
Visit site
Who are you referring to??
And please keep in mind that there are members here from all over the world.
Some of them with good spelling, some with bad, some are dyslexic, some are not.
Some speak natively English, some don't.

With that in mind, I have to say the general quality of English is pretty high on iMore.

I'm not going to point fingers at a specific person. I do realize that members are from all over the world. I just get frustrated when I can't understand what they're trying to say.

edswife1970

Oct 23, 2015
Visit site
Amen to that, but we can't overlook the fact that we have members from all over the world, and all of our members have varying levels of education.

Again, I know that. But they should still know how to use commas and periods at the appropriate place in their sentences.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Again, I know that. But they should still know how to use commas and periods at the appropriate place in their sentences.

Personally, it's not my place to say what others should and shouldn't know. I generally don't have an issue understanding the conversations that take place here on iMore. Should people use proper grammar and punctuation? Sure. But I'm not sure it's anyone's place to police that and tell others what they should know. In addition to the fact that people are here from all over the world with varying levels of education. Seems kind of condescending to assume what others should know without knowledge of WHO they are.

I'd say it's best to be understanding. Both sides.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm not going to point fingers at a specific person. I do realize that members are from all over the world. I just get frustrated when I can't understand what they're trying to say.

Believe me, I understand and share in your frustration...

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

I agree, but .... an argument can be made that what was frowned upon in my generation is considered the norm nowadays.

Using "your" when they should be using "you're" drives me insane. But I try to focus on helping them with their problem rather than focus on their inefficiency with spelling and punctuation. Know what I mean?

edswife1970

Oct 23, 2015
Visit site
I agree, but .... an argument can be made that what was frowned upon in my generation is considered the norm nowadays.

Using "your" when they should be using "you're" drives me insane. But I try to focus on helping them with their problem rather than focus on their inefficiency with spelling and punctuation. Know what I mean?

I know what you mean but I'd just be happy if they used commas and periods! I hate run on sentences and they can be very confusing. That is all I'm going to say on this subject!!

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I understand the frustration. Like others have said, I try to be mindful of the fact that we have people from all over the world and various education levels. If I really can't understand someone or if they type what should be two or three paragraphs as one long sentence, I just move along. Its just not worth getting frustrated over.

Brian W1

Oct 20, 2016
Visit site
I know what you mean but I'd just be happy if they used commas and periods! I hate run on sentences and they can be very confusing. That is all I'm going to say on this subject!!

I know what you mean, but I'd just be happy if they used commas, and periods! I hate run on sentences, and they can be very confusing.

There, I fixed it for you. Lol, just messing, but I had to.

TwitchyPuppy

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site

Your write

What drives me insane is the use of "of", as a verb. Like "I should of"

xanadome

May 6, 2013
Visit site
if they type what should be two or three paragraphs as one long sentence, I just move along. Its just not worth getting frustrated over.

I am not a native speaker.
Once in a while, but not lately, we encounter very few people who appear to be just lazy in typing out texts on phones. No capitalization, no punctuation and no periods. Yet, I can tell that his/her grammar is near perfect. These people should exercise a bit more courtesy for those who would read such texts. Other than that, most, if not all, people here are fabulous.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I personally could care less. If I don't understand what a person is trying to say, I just ask them or leave it alone. Some of us wasn't fortunate enough to have a formal education or write/speak a difficult language such as English with many words that sound alike or spelled similar. I thought we were here to have fun and learn about our products, not go to school. I left school over 30 years ago and I have a memory problem, so I do the best that I can and yes sometimes I forget and make mistakes. If you're educated enough to figure out the difference between "your and you're" or "then and than", I'm sure you can figure out what a person is trying to get across. Seriously, this is a thread?

Last edited:

MizWylie

Champion
Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
I personally could care less. If I don't understand what a person is trying to say, I just ask them or leave it alone. Some of us wasn't fortunate enough to have formal education or write/speak a difficult language such as English with many words that sound alike or spelled similar. I thought we were here to have fun and learn about our products, not go to school. I left school over 30 years ago and I have a memory problem, so I do the best that I can and yes sometimes I forget. If you're educated enough to figure out the difference between "your and you're" or "then and than", I'm sure you can figure out what a person is trying to get across. Seriously, this is a thread?

Ha! You're old...I mean...ur olddd! ❤️

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods