Homepage very slow when scrolling

Jeroen7

Sep 9, 2015
Visit site
When i'm using my ipad air, and scroll down the article list on the main page, it just freezes quite often because of all te pictures, ads and other stuff that has to load. I dont know how many scripts are running but it's really annoying at times. I also have this on the contest pages with the widget. And it doesn't seem to be my internet connection because other sites work just fine.

Is there any way to improve the speed of the website by lessening on the graphics or reducing them in size? Or maybe not show e erything on one page make it paged?

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
Reset cookies and cache?

I was having issues as well when using the site and I reset my router and it's worked wonders.

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
It used to the same issue for me. But, curious, are you using Google Chrome? If not, try it, that seems to help...

When i'm using my ipad air, and scroll down the article list on the main page, it just freezes quite often because of all te pictures, ads and other stuff that has to load. I dont know how many scripts are running but it's really annoying at times. I also have this on the contest pages with the widget. And it doesn't seem to be my internet connection because other sites work just fine.

Is there any way to improve the speed of the website by lessening on the graphics or reducing them in size? Or maybe not show e erything on one page make it paged?

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Like John said, sometimes the best place to start is 'resetting all the things'... clear your cache, cookies, etc and give it a spin.

We do run into issues with ads from time to time, so please do report them here as it'll help us fix any issues ASAP.

Thanks for posting!!

Jeroen7

Sep 9, 2015
Visit site
Clearing the cache and cookies helped, mostly. It's a lot more responsive now.
At start it's works pretty fast but after a few days I notice scrolling just shows a grey background and when you let go it'll load the page where you stopped. But if you go up again it seems to have forgotten what has been loaded so you see the grey area again. That's not very convenient.

I'm using safari btw. I tried it in chrome and that works a lot quicker, loads the page faster and hardly get grey areas. So I guess the site has something that safari can't handle well?

Jeroen7

Sep 9, 2015
Visit site
So, since my last post the site is sluggish again. I haven't visited much since the last time because most news I get via RSS. Even the forums are quite slow to scroll down and kindof builds per page you scroll, so you have to wait a few secs to continue. Even this topic with a few posts, scrolling back up results in a grey page which takes a sec or two to show again :(

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
I am surprised that an ipad air is slow to scroll, My gen three is not. In fact the only time I have seen this at all was on one particular website ( now fixed)Why not try force closing all apps and webpages and see if it still does it ? I have noticed that these devices get a bit sluggish if too much is left open.

Jeroen7

Sep 9, 2015
Visit site
I'm using an ipad air (1) and safari. Latest ios version.

Ok, this gets weird now. The site is pretty snappy atm. The only thing thats different is that I've got my ipad charging atm.
So I pulled my cable out, still seems about fine.
Then went to homescreen and tapped safari again to get it to the front again, and the lag was back.
So I put my cable in again and... tadaa... it loads a lot faster.
Now I'm confused... :)

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I am too. Have tried on laptop, iPhone and iPad over here and all seems snappy. If you can nail it down to something we can reproduce, I'll make sure we fix!!!

Jeroen7

Sep 9, 2015
Visit site
I've got about 30% of free space, 18GB free and 37GB in use.
Lately I've checked the site more often and it looks okish, it's not very fast but not always that laggy that you get grey blocks which take a few secs to load.

Jeroen7

Sep 9, 2015
Visit site
Just an update, havent had any cases of lag since weeks.

So things might have improved forumside, I can't recall doing anything significant on my side.

it's working fine now :)

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner