iMore Forum Deleted negative Threads about the Apple 5S

Branta

Retired Network Moderator
Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
[warn]DO NOT make the debate personal. Discuss the topic, NOT the other members posting in the thread[/warn]

To clarify what happened to the other thread... allegations were made about the accuracy of some of the claims made, and discussion was becoming heated and personal. The thread was pulled out into the moderators' private area to "freeze" it for review, and after consideration it was returned to public forums.

Now... <taking off my moderator's hat for a few moments>
You do not have freedom of expression on a forum controlled by a corporation or individual. You have freedom of expression from the government. This forum can do whatever they want to your post and you can do nothing about it. Had this been a government owned forum, then you do have a case of freedom of expression violation.

I believe the bolded parts quoted are rather less than accurate, at least as it refers to the rights of US citizens and publishers. If you refer to the US Constitution (and amendments) I think you will find it constrains the Government from influencing material published by others. It does not give citizens a right of publication on either third party or Government platforms, and it does not require non-government entities (whether private or commercial) to publish (or not) any material authored by a third party. There are of course various laws subsequent to the basic constitutional rights which effectively over-ride these rights and prohibit publication of certain types of content, but we are not talking about national defense secrets or obscenity here and they still do not provide a "right to be published". The bottom line used to be... If you want freedom of expression then print your own newspaper. The modern version is "setup your own website".

<mod hat back on>

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I am actually the moderator who went ahead and hid the thread. I didn't infringe on anything. I simply hid it where it couldn't be found and planned on bringing it back to the 5S sub-forum so it would be hidden deep at around page 3 or so because in my personal opinion, I didn't like the direction the thread was going and I agree with Karen absolutely 100% regarding the content you posted claiming were pictures taken with a 4S. Members answered your questions as much as they could and we gave you what your options were regarding restoring your phone and actually calling up Apple for a replacement. You kept on, and, in my opinion (make sure that is clear), it became a troll bait thread and I did my job as a moderator to control the troll-bait since the Editor-in-chief at this site frowns upon us actually locking threads. My intent was to let it be hidden for a couple of days as sort of a "cool down" period. I'm not going to apologize for that because I believe what I did was right.

The bottom line: If your 5S is really taking sub-standard pictures like that then I don't believe at all that Apple wouldn't give you a replacement if you took pictures like that right in front of an employee at an Apple Store. I've taken a phone there claiming that my battery was dying out too quick and it took the guy at the Genius Bar all of 4 seconds to say he was bringing me a replacement.

the_tech_eater

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
[warn]DO NOT make the debate personal. Discuss the topic, NOT the other members posting in the thread[/warn]

To clarify what happened to the other thread... allegations were made about the accuracy of some of the claims made, and discussion was becoming heated and personal. The thread was pulled out into the moderators' private area to "freeze" it for review, and after consideration it was returned to public forums.

Now... <taking off my moderator's hat for a few moments>

I believe the bolded parts quoted are rather less than accurate, at least as it refers to the rights of US citizens and publishers. If you refer to the US Constitution (and amendments) I think you will find it constrains the Government from influencing material published by others. It does not give citizens a right of publication on either third party or Government platforms, and it does not require non-government entities (whether private or commercial) to publish (or not) any material authored by a third party. There are of course various laws subsequent to the basic constitutional rights which effectively over-ride these rights and prohibit publication of certain types of content, but we are not talking about national defense secrets or obscenity here and they still do not provide a "right to be published". The bottom line used to be... If you want freedom of expression then print your own newspaper. The modern version is "setup your own website".

<mod hat back on>

You aren't a mod here, are you? At least you don't have a bio, and I've never seen you before.

the_tech_eater

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
To the op: a friend of mine has a iPod touch 5th gen. It started taking bad pics, he contacted apple, they said it was out of warranty. He kept persisting, they sent him a replacement. I'm sure, and like everyone has said, if your 5S is taking bad pics, Apple will replace it.

Lisa Bradley

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site
I am actually the moderator who went ahead and hid the thread. I didn't infringe on anything. I simply hid it where it couldn't be found and planned on bringing it back to the 5S sub-forum so it would be hidden deep at around page 3 or so because in my personal opinion, I didn't like the direction the thread was going and I agree with Karen absolutely 100% regarding the content you posted claiming were pictures taken with a 4S. Members answered your questions as much as they could and we gave you what your options were regarding restoring your phone and actually calling up Apple for a replacement. You kept on, and, in my opinion (make sure that is clear), it became a troll bait thread and I did my job as a moderator to control the troll-bait since the Editor-in-chief at this site frowns upon us actually locking threads. My intent was to let it be hidden for a couple of days as sort of a "cool down" period. I'm not going to apologize for that because I believe what I did was right.

The bottom line: If your 5S is really taking sub-standard pictures like that then I don't believe at all that Apple wouldn't give you a replacement if you took pictures like that right in front of an employee at an Apple Store. I've taken a phone there claiming that my battery was dying out too quick and it took the guy at the Genius Bar all of 4 seconds to say he was bringing me a replacement.

I went back through my photo album to show the comparison between the I4 and I 5s pictures. When I went back through my old photo albums I don't have exit data that shows me what camera took what, I just posted pictures that I thought I had taken with my I phone 4. I already told everyone that the pictures were already edited and zoomed and cropped. I went through the pictures with my husband and we picked the ones I thought I took with my 4. I have never posted any pictures or anything else on any other forum before. It took me over 5 hours to figure out how to attach the pictures. As I stated, I am not tech savvy, by no means. I did it to try and show people that something drastic has changed between the 4 and 5s lens and it became a witch hunt. If there were some pictures posted from my photo album that were not from the I phone then I apologize. IT WAS NOT DONE ON PURPOSE! Their are maybe 3 out of more then a dozen that you'll are saying are not from an I phone. That still leaves at least 8 or 10 pictures to make the comparison. Instead of getting the whole point of the posts and comparing the 2 phones, everyone wants to jump on the witch hunt wagon. Now, I am being accused of lying about showing these pictures to an Apple Rep? I had my husband and adult son with me who would be happy to sign an Sworn document as to what I showed to the representative. The 5S pictures that I have posted were the exact ones I showed the reps who told me that it was normal. Me and my family know that it is not normal, especially when compared to the photos from 4. I went to the Apple store in MaCArthur Mall in Norfolk, Virginia; at 7:45 pm on Monday 7/28th; I was originally helped by someone named Mark; then I was helped by a girl with long brown hair, don't remember her name and then I was helped by the Store Manager named John Schfield. The appt was made under my husband's name which is Ricky Bradley. I was sold an additional Olloclip Telephoto Lens. I was at the appt from 7:50 pm until 10:30 pm. Call the store and check it out it. Ask the manager if he remembers me and my family. I can assure you that he will. There have been people who have insulted me and made threats towards me but you allow their posts to stay up.??

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Enough of this. It's time to move on. Nobody has threatened you. Our members have offered you excellent advice. I hope your Genius Bar appointment on Tuesday will resolve your problem.

Lisa Bradley

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site
You aren't a mod here, are you? At least you don't have a bio, and I've never seen you before.

People have told me that I should just leave it alone and move on. I was also told by a complete stranger that he would tell me somethings about who myself if he had freedom of speech. My post was called a bait troll, (whatever that is). I have been called bent out of shape and that I have an attitude and a number of negative other things and now I have been called a liar because they can't imagine that the Apple Store would not return my phone based on the 5S pictures that they know to be true. Me and my family will be happy to sign a sworn document as to what I showed the 3 Apple reps at the apple store. Nobody from this forum was there. Nobody knows what advice I have listened to? But, they have already concluded that I have not taken any of their advice. I innocently posted pictures from my old photo albums for them to compare the 4 and 5S pictures and it became a witch hunt. The whole point was to compare to 2 I phone pictures and they made it personal. When I try and defend myself they treat me like I am the aggressor. I have treated everyone with the same respect they have given me.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
People have told me that I should just leave it alone and move on. I was also told by a complete stranger that he would tell me somethings about who myself if he had freedom of speech. My post was called a bait troll, (whatever that is). I have been called bent out of shape and that I have an attitude and a number of negative other things and now I have been called a liar because they can't imagine that the Apple Store would not return my phone based on the 5S pictures that they know to be true. Me and my family will be happy to sign a sworn document as to what I showed the 3 Apple reps at the apple store. Nobody from this forum was there. Nobody knows what advice I have listened to? But, they have already concluded that I have not taken any of their advice. I innocently posted pictures from my old photo albums for them to compare the 4 and 5S pictures and it became a witch hunt. The whole point was to compare to 2 I phone pictures and they made it personal. When I try and defend myself they treat me like I am the aggressor. I have treated everyone with the same respect they have given me.

Seems to me that you are bringing a lot of drama to this place. Take the phone to Apple and let them resolve your issue. Until then, there is little to be accomplished here.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
bottom line is threads get removed. they try not too, but they do and at their discretion. when you signed up to this forum you basically agreed to this but who really reads the fine print.
i've had several threads and comments removed lol. i stomped my feet and threw a fit, but did no good. now you have a decision to make... stay and move on or go somewhere else and abide by their rules and guidelines

hopefully you'll stay, you seem like a level headed person. unlike other dissatisfied members in the past

Branta

Retired Network Moderator
Oct 2, 2012
Visit site

To clarify what others have already said, I'm one of the 3 Network Moderators. We have moderator powers at all the sites but mostly remain behind the scenes and to advise on technical issues and deal with spam, leaving the visible moderation to the dedicated team for each site. We are impartial and more or less platform agnostic as far as moderation goes, although we each have our own preferred devices in daily use.

On this occasion it was clear that some participants were suggesting that moderation was less than fair and others suggesting the OP was being deceitful. Rather than let the flames grow it was appropriate to provide a simple statement of facts and remind participants about forum etiquette from an impartial position.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner