What the heck is this garbage!?

mulasien

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
TwoDots: Top 10 tips, hints, and cheats you need to know! | iMore

PLEASE tell me that iMore isn't devolving into the 'click 11 times for a new bullet point' terrible design created for the sole purpose of generating maximum ad revenue clicks. This is terrible, TERRIBLE.

I made it through number 4 before giving up on principle. No one....NO....BODY actually likes this design. Is this a sign of iMore putting ad revenue clicks over the user experience? How un-Apple like.

Fix this, this is terrible and doesn't actually help your audience at all.

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Actually, our analytics show that these types of posts are among the most popular on our entire network... with regularity.

That said, we're always studying and researching new engaging ways to deliver the content you want. Your feedback is noted and will not be forgotten.

If you have any more concerns or suggestions, shoot me an email direct. Always love to hear from passionate community members!

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
These mickey mouse tactics to increase clicks/views and thereby, increase ad exposure are the main reason I actively avoid those kinds of pages. Once I see it, I exit the site and make a note NOT to visit those sites again. For any reason.

the_tech_eater

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
These mickey mouse tactics to increase clicks/views and thereby, increase ad exposure are the main reason I actively avoid those kinds of pages. Once I see it, I exit the site and make a note NOT to visit those sites again. For any reason.

Sites have to make money. They have hosting fees, they have to pay the tech team, and the editorial team. If you want to see what happens to forums when they run out of cash, and lay off staff, go to ifans.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Sites have to make money. They have hosting fees, they have to pay the tech team, and the editorial team. If you want to see what happens to forums when they run out of cash, and lay off staff, go to ifans.com

I understand that sites need to make money. But they should drive their readership with content, not gimmickry. Build a better mouse trap, ya know?

mulasien

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site

Successful sites make money by providing content that users want to read in a format that's enjoyable to use. Anytime I come across a huge slideshow list, I usually make it to about number 5 before I go "nope, I'm done with this", and tend to avoid said sites in the future.

This article would be an example on how to drive away an audience in the quest to maximize click revenue.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Not really that surprising...this is the kind of thing I expect of iMore. I mean look at the tactics they use to boost traffic on the website, essentially spamming their own boards to create "traffic". It's pitiful really, and one of the reasons why I've personally not found any reason to frequent the board anymore.

A community can be successful without the need to resort to these kinds of actions...

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
We need a way to have donations factor in. If they need revenue, I know many of us would donate to keep the peacefulness.

I would.

Sent from a larger than life device using Tapatalk!

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
We don't know if many or a couple would want to donate. All I'm saying is that most other forums have this option.

Sent from Blue 32 using Tapatalk Pro.

Not interested in donating to a corporate concern. Let them earn money the way I have to - to work for it.

That said, this thread is about the annoying practice of generating multiple page views by manufacturing "top ten" lists with one item on each page. I choose not to view those "stories", and dang well am not going to give my money away to compensate the companies/corporations as some sort of ransom.

I do visit the Mobile Nations stores when I need to purchase accessories, and if I see an ad that catches my eye, I may click through. I just don’t care to be tricked or duped into generating multiple clicks/page views to line someone's pocket.

the_tech_eater

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
Not interested in donating to a corporate concern. Let them earn money the way I have to - to work for it.

That said, this thread is about the annoying practice of generating multiple page views by manufacturing "top ten" lists with one item on each page. I choose not to view those "stories", and dang well am not going to give my money away to compensate the companies/corporations as some sort of ransom.

I do visit the Mobile Nations stores when I need to purchase accessories, and if I see an ad that catches my eye, I may click through. I just don?t care to be tricked or duped into generating multiple clicks/page views to line someone's pocket.

That's your choice.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Before donations would even begin to work, you'd have to remove the stale feel of "corporation" this place reeks of. Nothing about iMore feels like a strong e-community, it feels almost like a not for profit technical support board for i-devices. Sure, you may have a few people who are loyal enough to kick in a few bucks here and there, but I personally don't think you'd find much long lasting success with a donation initiative as the website exists right now...it'd feel like donating money to Best Buy's website to keep it afloat.

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
I was just thinking of ways that this site wouldn't have to do a "Click for revenue" tactic. A lot of people seemed ticked off by that but offered no recourse or secondary option. They've got costs to maintain this site. What should be proposed?

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I was just thinking of ways that this site wouldn't have to do a "Click for revenue" tactic. A lot of people seemed ticked off by that but offered no recourse or secondary option. They've got costs to maintain this site. What should be proposed?

I guarantee that even if you DID enact some sort of "donation box", the other potential revenue gimmicks will not disappear.

I don’t have a problem with ads. Advertising pays for a lot of stuff - commercial over the air television and radio are good examples. It’s the gimmick of generating multiple page views/clicks to read the whole article that I see as bush league.

mulasien

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site

As I said above, provide content that users want to read in a format that's enjoyable to use. If the content is good, readers will come. If the content is presented in a non-annoying manner, users will stick around. That's how to make money.

On the other hand, making someone annoyingly click through a top ten list slideshow, that takes much longer to navigate and wait for each page to load than everything on one page, is a good way to drive away readers.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

iMore would have to redefine itself and find it's identity away from this weird "Mobile Nations" conglomerate before it could hope to actually find a revenue stream sufficient and reliable enough to count on it to cover costs 100% of the time. It's just the way it is...the recourse would be an overhaul of the core of how iMore is run, not the website itself. Making the place feel like a community with a common interest instead of a business with a support forum.

All that said, I don't, and never have expected that to ever happen because I believe this is what the people who created iMore (and Mobile Nations in general) WANT.

applejosh

Sep 26, 2009
Visit site
Add me to the list of those who hate this. Whatever focus group told you people like to see slideshows wasn't very representative of my opinions. I avoid them like the plague. And there's not even an option to "show all" when viewing from the iPhone; all we have is the slideshow, and that's just painful on a mobile device. (Ironic for a mobile device centric site, isn't it.)

Between this and the full page ads on the desktop (which appear more than once a day if you use private browsing mode), this site is becoming more user un-friendly. Again, I understand the need to generate revenue, but I know my browsing of the site has been lessened as of late as it's just become annoying at times. The in-your-face tactics outweigh any benefit of the content. All that's needed now is to add OnSwipe pagination to the mobile view to complete the trifecta of things that make me avoid sites completely.

lui22

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
If revenue is the issue then do as reddit does. Reddit has reddit gold, and at one time they have reddit mould.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW