Can the Jailbreak section be renamed as "iOS Hacking" or something else?

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
If you look at these two threads: http://forums.imore.com/imore-lounge/238367-tapatalk-sucks-now-2.html, and http://forums.imore.com/imore-lounge/238355-tapatalk.html, you will see that Tapatalk is no longer playing nicely with the Jailbreak section of the forums here on iMore...... Other sites seem to get around the Jailbreak block by calling it iOS Hacking instead. Is it possible that this could be changed here on iMore as well to allow this part of the forums to be viewed within the Tapatalk app?

Thanks in advance for looking into this. :)

Reactions: sherlock

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, PK! Also, thanks to you as well, Rene for this very quick response and for looking into this for us. :)

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk.

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I am extremely pleased to hear you all at imore being reactive to this!
I think it's a jerk move on the part of tapatalk (unless of course they were forced by apple)
I would like to recommend a rename of the section to "Cydia" and the sub section "Cydia tweaks and themes" and "Cydia unlocking and installation"

Therefore we avoid the dreaded jailbreak term, but everyone will know, because Cydia is synonymous with jailbreak

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
Tapatalk aren't being jerks.

I don't know how much I can get into it here, but sometimes you don't have the luck of the draw and you have to do the best you can with the hand you're dealt.

We can look into names like DIY Forum, but that might confuse readers.

The full forums are available via the web site and the mobile web site, so you'll always have a way to access everything.

Hopefully we'll figure out a way to give you many ways to access everything.

Rene

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I am extremely pleased to hear you all at imore being reactive to this!
I think it's a jerk move on the part of tapatalk (unless of course they were forced by apple)
I would like to recommend a rename of the section to "Cydia" and the sub section "Cydia tweaks and themes" and "Cydia unlocking and installation"

Therefore we avoid the dreaded jailbreak term, but everyone will know, because Cydia is synonymous with jailbreak

I don't agree that this is a "Jerk" move on the part of Tapatalk. While I was annoyed with Tapatalk at first, it is looking like this issue is more about iMore, but we'll just have to wait till more facts are posted from Rene to know for sure. Also, renaming the forum with Cydia anywhere in the title isn't going to fix the issue, as Cydia is a well known jailbreak term. Might as well leave it as Jailbreak...

Last edited:

Laelipoo

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
I'm glad this is being looked into. Thank you PK and Rene.

Beamed from a galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk!

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Tapatalk aren't being jerks.

I don't know how much I can get into it here, but sometimes you don't have the luck of the draw and you have to do the best you can with the hand you're dealt.

We can look into names like DIY Forum, but that might confuse readers.

The full forums are available via the web site and the mobile web site, so you'll always have a way to access everything.

Hopefully we'll figure out a way to give you many ways to access everything.

Rene
Appreciate the update, Rene. One reason I prefer to use Tapatalk VS the iMore mobile web site is that I like to upload pictures from my iPhones camera roll which is a feature that just isn't available from the mobile site..... One question I have here and might solve this whole thing is; Wasn't iMore working on their own app which would allow members to view as well as post on the forums? I thought I remember reading that on the main page a few months ago. :confused:

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
I can assure you the Tapatalk guys are not jerks. I have worked directly with their primary blackberry programmer and he's a great guy and VERY accommodating. I have no clue what the situation is, BUT I have no doubt that this is something out of their control. My guess would be that Apple pressured them in to this.

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Well it's a jerk move on apples part then. Somewhere, someone is being a jerk!
And I don't really care what the name is. I just figured that cydia would be something everyone understood... Perhaps too Many everyones! The DIY forum wouldnt be a bad idea... Also once everyone rolls their way in they would know where to return to... ,
I just like being able to access the forum from tapatalk, it's a much better way to peruse the forum. Obviously I am a big fan of the program as I use it daily... I listed it as one of my top 5 apps.
I am
Sure I will be pleased with whatever all the admins figure out

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Well it's a jerk move on apples part then. Somewhere, someone is being a jerk!
And I don't really care what the name is. I just figured that cydia would be something everyone understood... Perhaps too Many everyones! The DIY forum wouldnt be a bad idea... Also once everyone rolls their way in they would know where to return to... ,
I just like being able to access the forum from tapatalk, it's a much better way to peruse the forum. Obviously I am a big fan of the program as I use it daily... I listed it as one of my top 5 apps.
I am
Sure I will be pleased with whatever all the admins figure out

We don't know for sure what exactly the problem is, so before labeling anyone a "Jerk", I think we should all wait till all of the facts are in first. :)

Sent from my iPad LTE using Tapatalk HD.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Jailbreaking is bad for apple from a customer service/support stand point. It could be as simple as them wanting to crack down as a way to help with support costs. While those of us who are technically inclided and who know and accept the risks, are not as much of a problem for apple, many folks who fooishly jailbreak, and then go to apple care for support when things go wrong ARE a BIG problem And of course we really don't know what has happened here.

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I second iOS alternatives...
However I would second "iOS blues clues" or "iOS confusing term" or "3cit stinks", anything so long as i am able to access the appropriate forum again!!!
I have no doubt you guys and gals at imore will figure it out, and I'm sure whatever it is, the users will figure it out, and im sure it will be as smooth as when we went from tipb to imore...

And as for my jerk comments... Somewhere, somebody, at some organization decided that tapatalk could no longer show the jailbreak section, which included the DIY mod section and the developer section as well as jailbreaking and unlocking....
So I am positive that I have enough facts to say that somewhere, somebody is a jerk!!!

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
How about "iOS Alternatives."

Don't take this the wrong way, Alli, but I don't think the name fits. Reason I say this is, when I read this name I automatically thought of Android, as that is a true iOS alternative. If the name has to change in order for the forum to pass through Tapatalk I think it would be best if it related to "Hacking" or "Modding" as these are the two commonly known other names that are used in reference to jailbreaking and they are used on other forums therefore others that come here from those other forums will already be familiar with this section. That being said, I am sure whatever name "if any" that is chosen will be fine. :)

Last edited:

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
So here's the deal:

We've been working really hard at getting a free, universal iMore Forums app into the App Store, and it wasn't going to happen with a Jailbreak Forum in the contents.

We tried 4 different times with no luck. Ultimately, we had to choose between not having the free app, and not including the Jailbreak forum in the free app.

Of course, we could have tried to game the system, or trick people, or what not, but that's not reliable or dependable, and that's not how we do things.

So, at least for now, we've chosen to have the app but not have it connect to the Jailbreak forum. I'm not sure why the main Tapatalk app itself is also affected, but I'm hoping there's a way to fix that.

Sorry for any inconvenience. It's not the solution we want, but it's the one we have for now.

Here's the new app:

Introducing the official iMore Forums app for iPhone and iPad! | iMore.com

Reactions: pkcable