iMore Not Very Active

anon(5719825)

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
Over the past few years that I have been coming here, it's not been a very active forum. Every forum section I visit is the same, MacBook Pro, Mac Mini, iPad, Apple Watch, iPhone, ATV. Those are all the Apple devices I own and all those forums are the same.

I'd come back more often to post and read posts if there was more to do here so I spend my time on another site that is always very popular.

Have you guys done anything recently to try and get more traffic here? I've noticed that James tries to start new posts in the watch forum but that's not enough.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Like any forum, activity ebbs and flows, but to answer your question - yes. There are good things on the horizon for the iMore community that we're excited about.

anon(10210323)

Apr 6, 2017
Visit site
I'm new here (3 weeks) and it seems like an interesting community. however, not all forums are super-busy - but that doesn't detract from the fact that it is a very informative and cordial place on the net. The best thing that established members can do to try to increase active membership is to simply stay friendly and objective. I'll tell you, I've learned a lot about my new SE and iOS 10 from everyone, and would be surprised if activity doesn't increase, at least gradually.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm new here (3 weeks) and it seems like an interesting community. however, not all forums are super-busy - but that doesn't detract from the fact that it is a very informative and cordial place on the net. The best thing that established members can do to try to increase active membership is to simply stay friendly and objective. I'll tell you, I've learned a lot about my new SE and iOS 10 from everyone, and would be surprised if activity doesn't increase, at least gradually.

Thanks for the positive words :) I couldn't agree more.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

Thank you very much. Your kinds words means a lot.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Well look around. No posts in the iPhone 7+ forum. The watch forum only have a few posts daily. It's like a graveyard.

It’s been a year that the iPhone 7 and the Plus have been released. Most issues have been addressed, most questions asked and answered. If not in this forum, then on others.

I have been racking my brain to start new threads in the 7 Plus and first generation Watch forums, but simply can’t think of any.

The iPhone X and 8 (Plus) forums are a little more active in comparison.

And since the holidays are coming, more people will have time to attend the forum a little more, attracting even more traffic.

anon(5719825)

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
It’s been a year that the iPhone 7 and the Plus have been released. Most issues have been addressed, most questions asked and answered. If not in this forum, then on others.

I have been racking my brain to start new threads in the 7 Plus and first generation Watch forums, but simply can’t think of any.

The iPhone X and 8 (Plus) forums are a little more active in comparison.

And since the holidays are coming, more people will have time to attend the forum a little more, attracting even more traffic.

It's been this way for the past year. It's actually gotten slower even. The Series 3 watches are new and look at how slow that forum is.

Look at Android Central compared to this forum. I'll you on MacRunors. No sense hanging out here.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
It's been this way for the past year. It's actually gotten slower even. The Series 3 watches are new and look at how slow that forum is.

Look at Android Central compared to this forum. I'll you on MacRunors. No sense hanging out here.

Yeah, that’s a good idea, saying this forum is slow and then mentioning another one. /sarcasm.

I’m happy in this forum. I’m familiarized with it and its members.

anon(5719825)

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
Ok, I have past experience running forums. Two of them were very successful, one back in the 2000s, one back around 2007. I still even own a vBulletin license to this day.

One of the keys to running a successful forum is not having too many forum topics. iMore is a great forum but it's mistake is that they have too many forums. There's a forum for iPhone X, iPhone 7+, iPhone 6S, a forum for each iPad model, a forum for each watch series and each one of these gets a handful of posts every week. Consolidate them and have one iPhone forum, one watch forum and one iPad forum same with macBook Pros and MacBooks.

If you go into some of the webmaster forums and ask them advice on how to start a forum, the first or second suggestion is to always start with a handful forum topics. You want the forum to appear that it is busy and having 100 topics when you can easily have 5 makes the forum look deserted.

This is what's happening with iMore. Android Central gets away with all their hundreds of forum topics because it's got thousands of visitors per day.

Someone suggested on MacRumors that they should break the phone forums into individual phone models and the mods said no and no doubt, the above reasons were why.

They probably won't take my suggestions here and will keep running it the way they are but it just makes the forum look it's dying. That's all I have to say.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I've been a member here regularly since 2016. Prior to that, I've been around since approx 2013. I too have been active on other forums and have served as a moderator. The thing I like about iMore is the sense of community. Activity seems to ebb and flow, but there's always someone around to help or advise when I've had a question or concern. Nothing against other forums, but the community spirit of iMore is what made me feel welcome and made me feel at home.

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
I have been around for quite some time now. I have seen people come and people go. That's the crazy thing about forums. They are open publicly and allow users to interact when they see fit..

Sure iMore used to be big and it still is. But if you or anyone else is looking to why it's not active and crazy drama. Well maybe the troublemakers are ruffling some other sites feathers. Crazy debates and the everyday trolls have moved on. That's a good thing. I guess you can look at iMore being a community of members who love to talk about what they love, Tech!! Other sites fluff the forums with other stuff, that to be quite honest is only a thread count marker, there is no interaction and it drops off the first page on the forums.

Maybe we are not seeing a lot of issue threads, because the users don't have questions because the device they use, is working ok, or they don't have to see help, because they know what they are doing. Remember Apple platforms are simplistic and work. Yes there is a few issues here and there, but in a nut shell, it's pretty low key.

I have heard it mentioned quite a few times on here that iMore is a great place to come and seeks knowledge and feel part of a group, other sites apparently don't treat their members very well? But it's good to hear people enjoy themselves here and keep coming back.

On the moderation side of things, I think my team and I do a good job. ​The moderators are chosen from a set of long standing members who have contributed a large amount of effort into this online community. They do not get paid for the effort they put in tidying up these forums, keeping them spam free, and ensuring that troublemakers are calmed down or ejected. Be a good forum member... but it's not a walk in the park, mods are people too, they have other lives, they get annoyed with some of you, they need time off, they want this forum to be the best it can be, so anyone who makes work for us isn't making the best start of things. That's about it really. It's not a popularity contest, it's not about who has the most posts... it's about those who want to make a difference.

As for the Admin's and the power that be. I can't speak on their behalf, but I know some changes on the forum layout and back end stuff has been worked on this past year, bugs and more bugs, but they are getting there. Do I wish some things were different absolutely, and I voice my opinion about things to them as well. I want to love coming here just as much as you all do.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I have been around for quite some time now. I have seen people come and people go. That's the crazy thing about forums. They are open publicly and allow users to interact when they see fit..

Sure iMore used to be big and it still is. But if you or anyone else is looking to why it's not active and crazy drama. Well maybe the troublemakers are ruffling some other sites feathers. Crazy debates and the everyday trolls have moved on. That's a good thing. I guess you can look at iMore being a community of members who love to talk about what they love, Tech!! Other sites fluff the forums with other stuff, that to be quite honest is only a thread count marker, there is no interaction and it drops off the first page on the forums.

Maybe we are not seeing a lot of issue threads, because the users don't have questions because the device they use, is working ok, or they don't have to see help, because they know what they are doing. Remember Apple platforms are simplistic and work. Yes there is a few issues here and there, but in a nut shell, it's pretty low key.

I have heard it mentioned quite a few times on here that iMore is a great place to come and seeks knowledge and feel part of a group, other sites apparently don't treat their members very well? But it's good to hear people enjoy themselves here and keep coming back.

On the moderation side of things, I think my team and I do a good job. ​The moderators are chosen from a set of long standing members who have contributed a large amount of effort into this online community. They do not get paid for the effort they put in tidying up these forums, keeping them spam free, and ensuring that troublemakers are calmed down or ejected. Be a good forum member... but it's not a walk in the park, mods are people too, they have other lives, they get annoyed with some of you, they need time off, they want this forum to be the best it can be, so anyone who makes work for us isn't making the best start of things. That's about it really. It's not a popularity contest, it's not about who has the most posts... it's about those who want to make a difference.

As for the Admin's and the power that be. I can't speak on their behalf, but I know some changes on the forum layout and back end stuff has been worked on this past year, bugs and more bugs, but they are getting there. Do I wish some things were different absolutely, and I voice my opinion about things to them as well. I want to love coming here just as much as you all do.

Well then......nothing else needs to be said.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Hello NexusGirl, I also noticed that our forum is lacking some updated discussion like reviews or threads for iPhoneX and iOS11. I hope we are able to keep updated and help each other like on other forums. We all love this forum and more power to everyone.

Maybe you're looking in the wrong place. There's many iPhone X threads. Reviews also.

SprSynJn

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
If there is any reason people aren’t coming it’s the layout of the website. I use Tapatalk to post, and only Tapatalk. I can’t stand visiting the site as it’s too convoluted and a bit a mess in my opinion. The forums themselves are great, with a few exceptions. Overall it’s an enjoyable place to visit. I do agree with many points nexusgirl made though.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Ok, Im going to revive an old thread. :)

Yes, some areas on here are as dead as AOL, dial up and bulletin boards. (chuckles.....from another thread)

When I come to the forums, I always start with unanswered threads, and jump in where I can unless it's a post started by iMore, which is usually a link to an article. Then I go through the forums looking for those areas that aren't used much and try to get things going. However, I don't want to post something just to be posting something. I'd like my post to have meaning. Like right now, I'm explaining my normal forums browsing procedure.

I agree about the older forums. My son has a 6S+ and my wife and I both have 7+ and original Apple Watches. Those areas are not really used much as, like commented above, most of the issues have been resolved and nothing much new for any of those devices.

At the end of the day, it is what it is. But yes, I do think some areas could be merged or deleted.

Just my $.02.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods