What's with the Nonstop Ads?

UnlimitedEra

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
I'm glad I don't get much ads on crackberry. But that's how they get money to keep the website alive. Blame the ad service provider. I believe imore doesn't get to chose which ads to view on their website.

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
I'm seeing this tonight on Safari 7.0.6. Clicking the X to dismiss the ad results in a black screen. This has happened four times now when in the forums. Maybe its a temporary glitch?

Attachments

• imore_full_screen_ad1.jpg
    imore_full_screen_ad1.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 17

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

vonsomething

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
I'm a new user/visitor, so I particularly hate to be negative. I registered on the forums a couple of weeks ago. I really enjoy the site content, and the forums seem to have a lot of good content too. Unfortunately both are almost unusable on my iPad 3. I have a fast connection. I understand the need to make money, but there are tons of highly profitable websites that don't resort to pop ups and ads that scroll across the screen while you are trying to read. Even sites like Wired with frustrating pop ups load and operate normally after you close the ad. Here, I (still) get multiple popups during a single session, and at least one of the horrible moving banners per page load. When I'm on the site, I really have to weigh every click - "is it worth it."

The site minus all these odd ads looks nice, and again has great content. I don't know if it's super slow and odd scrolling without the ads. It doesn't look like this is a new issue, and I can't conceive of how the issues the publishers face are so different from the ones all the other profitable but usable websites face.

I really have no desire to be rude, and apologize if I am - I just want to use your product, and I don't find it practical to do so in anything close to the current condition. Thanks for hearing me out.

Last edited:

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Don't be sorry, we appreciate the feedback.

Would you be able to send me some screenshots illustrating the troubles you're encountering? My email is below... want to be sure things are working great for you here at iMore!

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Who peed in the secret sauce? None of the page options are "sticking". The "Member Shoutout" header section keeps coming back despite the fact that I checked the [X] to hide it. That annoying ad column down the right side of the page is doing the same thing. Are you SO desperate for cash flow that you have to spam your members constantly?

I don’t want to do the adblocker, but I am going to have to resort to that to make this site usable again.

#massivelyAnnoyed
View attachment 67016

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Who peed in the secret sauce? None of the page options are "sticking". The "Member Shoutout" header section keeps coming back despite the fact that I checked the [X] to hide it. That annoying ad column down the right side of the page is doing the same thing. Are you SO desperate for cash flow that you have to spam your members constantly?

I don’t want to do the adblocker, but I am going to have to resort to that to make this site usable again.

#massivelyAnnoyed
View attachment 67016

Remember THIS (^^^^^) annoying "feature"? It’s back. FML

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
I really wish they'd implement a donation version of this site. I'd be down to paying just to keep ads away. I only use Tapatalk now as it's impossible to use via Safari.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Looks like it is fixed. I will test more tonight though.

It’s most definitely not fixed. In fact, it’s worse, because now the behavior is somewhat random and schizophrenic. It seems to come and go randomly and (as far as I can tell) without rhyme or reason. One screen is fine. Then next has both the ads on the right side and the Member Shoutouts at the top. Click on another thread and who knows what will appear.

Back to Tapatalk for now - no ads and no possessed behavior.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner