How to encourage quality of posts on iMore?

BBFunGuy

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
Currently, a lot of the posts( on some threads it is just this, one after another) made on iMore read a lot like an entry to win a competition where you have to describe 'why you think Apple is great in 20 words or less' to win something. This is not going to encourage debate.

How can users be encouraged to make less clich?d responses, and hopefully deliver a more interesting, popular, lively forum?

Personally, I would remove the ability to like/ dislike posts, one of my bugbears on any forum in honesty. The internet should not be a personality contest, or if it is going to be, then there should be a special cordoned-off area for it, called Facebook.

Is that even possible? May be the feature is baked-in to whatever software people are using to create the sites.

Why don't you try to come up with a better idea.

ps. 'Apple is great because I like to use their stuff', is not 'an idea', please keep those posts on the threads set aside for that purpose.

Last edited:

Haalcyon

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Perhaps if the questions are more specific themselves higher quality answers can be given, for example, 'Can you list at least three things about iOS devices that makes you willing to pay more for them than equally or even lower priced competiton?'

via that gPad 📱

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
If your viewing iMore under unread posts you will end up seeing everything and not what your looking for. Certain members only subscribe to specific categories of interest to them Avoiding unwanted threads

The posts your referring to as unwanted end up getting hits so they are of interest to some members so to exclude them would not be fair to them

As for the like and thanks option it's a uniform addition to all the forums I ever partaked in and has it's purpose it allows a person to show another members post had some type of impact on them without having to post that fact. Imagine having to scroll past posts like ? that's cool? over and over just to read a meaningful reply

iMore Ambassador -iPhone 5s

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Currently, a lot of the posts( on some threads it is just this, one after another) made on iMore read a lot like an entry to win a competition where you have to describe 'why you think Apple is great in 20 words or less' to win something. This is not going to encourage debate.
While I agree to a point, I still think that certain threads do encourage debate more than others. I also think that trying to encourage debate is not a bad thing.

How can users be encouraged to make less clich?d responses, and hopefully deliver a more interesting, popular, lively forum?
By being honest. Still, you seem to be telling us what you like and dislike as if everyone feels this way. What may be a clich?d response to you could be just the response others are looking for.

Personally, I would remove the ability to like/ dislike posts, one of my bugbears on any forum in honesty.
Personally, I would keep the ability to "Like" and "Thank" because it gives members a single click avenue to express their appreciation.
The internet should not be a personality contest, or if it is going to be, then there should be a special cordoned-off area for it, called Facebook.
Who are you to say what should and should not be? Shouldn't the rest of us who use the internet also have a say in how things should be run?

Is that even possible? May be the feature is baked-in to whatever software people are using to create the sites.
:)

The staff at iMore and the rest of Mobile Nations will always try to make coming to these sites as enjoyable and as informative as we possibly can. Sometimes it takes members such as yourself to offer up suggestions, and believe me, we're receptive and appreciative of you and all the members who frequent the Mobile Nations sites. Thank you.

ps. 'Apple is great because I like to use their stuff', is not 'an idea', please keep those posts on the threads set aside for that purpose.
No arguments here...:)....Anyway, thank you for your comments and suggestions. Take care.

Last edited:

BBFunGuy

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
Message from iMore moderator:

You have incurred an infraction for a lame post, 'that's cool'. The iMore forum is not some duck-pond where we all sit around going quack-quack. Further infractions will result in posting rights being revoked.

The iMore team.

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Coming up with intelligent replies to intelligent posts take two or more to play a part, and more often than not the level of quality would still be dependent on the right mix of minds tackling the topic. Some people are more creative than others, and that may affect where any given discussion will go.

I don't think anyone can control or manufacture such quality of postings here but we can certainly strive to produce more outward-looking, verbal and intellectual threads and posts moving forward.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

You have incurred an infraction for a lame post, 'that's cool'. The iMore forum is not some duck-pond where we all sit around going quack-quack. Further infractions will result in posting rights being revoked.

The iMore team.

(Laughing)...good one...:)

Haalcyon

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site

The iMore team.

That is funny, but I was scared for you. I can imagine another Mobile Nations forum giving you an infraction for impersonating a moderator and for openly displaying a sense of humor. Be careful.

Sent from my ME308LL/A ⚫

SwitchBeach

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Why do posts need to "encourage debate"? Can't there be discussions by themselves?

Under whose definition? The discussions already are interesting or people would not be here.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
I see too many similar threads about the same issues or topics.

Sent from from my iPhone 5

Most new members don't search the forums for what they need they just write out a post for help. We could just point them to the Answer but In iMore we try and display a personal interest in a members immediate problem not just brush them off. No one is asking anyone to go out of there way to help anyone if you read it before just move on

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site

The iMore team.

I see your game ?Quote? Fun Guy

You dislike meaningless posts but create one of your own.

I haven't read a meaningful thing from you yet not even a sign you really care at all about this Forum

So I'm gonna ignore your posts for now on as it's my and all our rights here of IMore

Have a great Day!

anon4757448

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I see your game ?Quote? Fun Guy

I haven't read a meaningful thing from you yet not even a sign you really care at all about this Forum

So I'm gonna ignore your posts for now on as it's my and all our rights here of IMore

Have a great Day!

Oops I just liked and thanked your post! I think I'm one if the people he's talking about! LOL

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Great discussion here folks, love it. Thought I'd pop in here quick...

First step to encouraging more quality posts?... we need to take it upon ourselves to do just that! Set the example, write quality and well thought out posts, and give them proper/descriptive titles. This goes a long way.

Thought I'd insert this here for now... keep discussing, this is the kind of passion and feedback we need to take the iMore forums to the next level!!! Can't do it without your help!

BBFunGuy

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
I see your game “Quote” Fun Guy

Have a great Day!

I post because I care! Not sure how to signal you, but do read your posts. It would be much easier to avoid my musings if there were more posts...

Context is key, in some circumstances, the more meaningless, the better.

Thanks for bringing up ignoring people, good idea. I will post a link here later showing people how it is possible to so using the forum tools, for anyone who finds reading a name, then moving their eyes down to the next name without reading a post too difficult.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site

Personally, I would remove the ability to like/ dislike posts, one of my bugbears on any forum in honesty. The internet should not be a personality contest, or if it is going to be, then there should be a special cordoned-off area for it, called Facebook.

I post because I care! Not sure how to signal you, but do read your posts. It would be much easier to avoid my musings if there were more posts...

Context is key, in some circumstances, the more meaningless, the better.

Thanks for bringing up ignoring people, good idea. I will post a link here later showing people how it is possible to so using the forum tools, for anyone who finds reading a name, then moving their eyes down to the next name without reading a post too difficult.
I don't want to get to deep into this because there have been some very good discussion here whether you know it or not. I am curious to know what stuck you to bring this on like this?

cyberpaw

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
I prefer a little repetition here and there, especially since there are newbies joining all the time. What they do on a few other forums is to flame people, tell them to use the "search" and list a bunch of links to look up, even when it was a very simple question that could have been answered with a five second polite reply.

Sent from my iPad using iMore Forums mobile app

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I prefer a little repetition here and there, especially since there are newbies joining all the time. What they do on a few other forums is to flame people, tell them to use the "search" and list a bunch of links to look up, even when it was a very simple question that could have been answered with a five second polite reply.

Sent from my iPad using iMore Forums mobile app
With no disrespect to anybody who answered this thread in an honest fashion on how they felt not just about the OPs post but everyone else this is IMO the most meaningfully said comment. The reason is and i have said this before....We tend to not ever tell anybody to 'SEARCH' for anything when like stated, Even a 5 sec. polite reply goes way further than the other word 'SEARCH'.
Whoever you are - Thank you for your post here. Perfect. :)