Sharing on Facebook posts by iMore.com

2BTs4Me

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
I really don't know if this is the right place for this, but I haven't received any help on Facebook or Twitter on this... It could be because I have hard time explaining it, but nobody has even bothered to reply. :-( I even attached a screenshot! <g>

When I see a post from iMore, it says that iMore has shared a link, and then below that, it shows a passport graphic, link to the passport page and a description of passport. The only way to see the actual page that was shared is to click on the work link in the first sentence. I usually like to know what I'm clicking on before I do it...

Also, if I go to iMore.com and copy a link to a page and share it on facebook, I get the same thing. A sentence saying that I shared a link and the passport graphic, link to the passport page and a description of passport. That really isn't the way it should work, is it? Here's the screenshot I put on Facebook and Twitter. Maybe I'll have better luck here.

imore.jpg

I would really like to be able to share your stuff again. Now, I have to go look for the same info elsewhere and share it from there...

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Re: Sharing on Facebook

Interesting. I can't quite reproduce all of the errors you're experiencing.

I DO see the passport thumbnail image quite often on the FB page. FB has a habit of pulling the incorrect thumbnail for a story... depending on the method used to post to FB, this can be a common problem.

However, the entire story area is a link to the story on iMore for me... I've tested this both logged in and logged out of Passport.

Which device(s) are you using? We'll get to the bottom of it!

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site

In Addition, sharing via iMore App, on twitter is does not shorten the URL, always goes over 140 char to send a tweet.

Just a FYI

2BTs4Me

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site

I'm using Chrome Version 28.0.1500.95 m on Windows 7. It's the same on IE tho... If I click on the word "link" it will open the article. Otherwise, I get sent to the passport page. If I copy a link from the iMore website and then paste it in the update window, it will do the same thing. It's really weird, and very annoying...

I just checked it with Chrome and Safari on the iPad and it is the same way as it is on Windows. This is what it looked like with the Facebook app on the iPad tho. At least it had the correct title and link.

IMG_0389.jpg

This doesn't happen with all pages shared by iMore, just most of them. I'm at a loss here.

I should add that it looks fine on the iMore Facebook page, but is weird on the newsfeed.

Last edited:

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site

I'm using Chrome Version 28.0.1500.95 m on Windows 7. It's the same on IE tho... If I click on the word "link" it will open the article. Otherwise, I get sent to the passport page. If I copy a link from the iMore website and then paste it in the update window, it will do the same thing. It's really weird, and very annoying...

I just checked it with Chrome and Safari on the iPad and it is the same way as it is on Windows. This is what it looked like with the Facebook app on the iPad tho. At least it had the correct title and link.

View attachment 36465

This doesn't happen with all pages shared by iMore, just most of them. I'm at a loss here.

I should add that it looks fine on the iMore Facebook page, but is weird on the newsfeed.

Thanks for all the feedback. Believe me, we share your frustration!

Will escalate this to tech to take a closer look. Thanks for your patience!

2BTs4Me

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site

Thanks! Would it help if I commented on which ones look fine and which ones are wonky? <g> Let me know if there's any other way I can help, please.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

Thanks! Would it help if I commented on which ones look fine and which ones are wonky? <g> Let me know if there's any other way I can help, please.

Feel free to offer any suggestions or critiques that you may have. ;)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods