When I say "hey siri" there is no response when the cover is closed. It's a 3rd party cover, not the Apple Smart cover.

I have all the settings set correctly, including to have Siri respond when covered or closed. Spoke with Apple Support senior advisor who had me erase my iPad (3 times) and start fresh as all of my settings were correct. The only time Hey Siri gets a response is when the iPad is not covered. They gave me a case # and when I followed up, they said they still have not received a "response" on my case).

(Also have an iPad Pro 3 gen with the identical cover and no issues with siri).

I've only had this iPad since January, just before iOS 14.4 came out. The issue continues with iOS 14.4.

If this is an intentional thing, why have the setting to allow Hey Siri when covered/closed? Could it be hardware malfunction? Thanks.
    02-19-2021 12:15 PM
    Here's why your iPad Air doesn't hear the "Hey Siri" keyword when the cover is closed. It's actually simple: your iPad Air no longer has a microphone connected at that time.
    When you close your cover, it triggers the microphone hardware to physically disconnect from the device.

Source: https://support.apple.com/en-ca/guid...cbbd20b00b/web
    Hopefully, those who have the same model iPad and similar cover will respond soon. If I had a non-Apple cover for my iPad Pro, I’d try to recreate the issue, but unfortunately I do not.
    cata nieves likes this.
    02-19-2021 02:42 PM
    Thanks for your reply. If you remove your non Apple cover and put it face down, does it respond ( if you’ve ticked the setting in accessibility?)

Do you know why they made it so the Apple smart covers don’t respond, yet there is a setting?

( also, I had no idea you’d responded, saw by accident when trying to find notifications settings... is there a way to get notifications when someone responds? I’m new here - thanks)
    02-19-2021 03:57 PM
    ...( also, I had no idea you’d responded, saw by accident when trying to find notifications settings... is there a way to get notifications when someone responds? I’m new here - thanks)
    Hello and welcome to iMore. We’re glad you found us! Here’s a visual how you can subscribe to a thread:

Hey Siri not responding with cover closed: iPad Air 4, iOS 14.4-120d2a73-9f43-45ac-91d3-3e41412be37e.jpeg

I use a 3rd party case with my iPad. I will play around with “Hey Siri” later today and report back.
    02-20-2021 07:08 AM
    Annie M, thanks, appreciate that.

I actually found you when searching for a solution to the Hey Siri / Cover thing- here's a link to the thread that brought me here: ( I realize it's from 2017- oddly I never had the issue with iOS 11 on 2 previous iPads that year, the Air 2 and the Pro 9.7"

https://forums.imore.com/ask-questio...er-closed.html

Annie, interested to see what you find later. Thanks again.
    02-20-2021 08:52 AM
    Here's why your iPad Air doesn't hear the "Hey Siri" keyword when the cover is closed. It's actually simple: your iPad Air no longer has a microphone connected at that time.
    When you close your cover, it triggers the microphone hardware to physically disconnect from the device.

cata nieves likes this.
    02-21-2021 05:10 PM

Ed7789 - thank you for your reply. I appreciate your time. This article you linked to me is spot on.

I contacted  Support after reading this article and they brought my case # up. After speaking with 2 different advisors, they confirmed to me that this is indeed intended behavior at the hardware level.

The only option to have Hey Siri work when covered on the newer iPads from 2020 on would be a case that doesn't trigger sleep/wake functions or to use an open case.

Thanks again, Ed7789! How do I mark your answer as "solved"?
    Ed7789 likes this.
    02-22-2021 09:50 AM
    @cata nieves - My iPad is an AIR 2, and I've never really tried to use "Hey Siri" on it. When I did, it didn't work. Upon further research, my iPad has to be plugged in for Hey Siri to work.
    cata nieves likes this.
    02-22-2021 10:29 AM
    @Annie_M - Thanks for checking and you're correct, iPad Air 2 has to be plugged in. My Air 4 shouldn't have to but @Ed7789 pointed me to an article:
    https://support.apple.com/en-ca/guid...cbbd20b00b/web

which I confirmed with Apple regarding the iPad Air 4 - it's hardware in the 2020 models, so unless I find a cover that has no sleep/wake functionality, I will either have to leave the Air 4 open or put one of those open "frame" cases around it.

(I hope I tagged you correctly- new here- also is there a way to mark this question as solved?) Thanks
    02-22-2021 11:14 AM
    @Annie_M - Thanks for checking and you're correct, iPad Air 2 has to be plugged in. My Air 4 shouldn't have to but @Ed7789 pointed me to an article:
    https://support.apple.com/en-ca/guid...cbbd20b00b/web

which I confirmed with Apple regarding the iPad Air 4 - it's hardware in the 2020 models, so unless I find a cover that has no sleep/wake functionality, I will either have to leave the Air 4 open or put one of those open "frame" cases around it.

(I hope I tagged you correctly- new here- also is there a way to mark this question as solved?) Thanks
    You did tag me correctly. Another option is tapping on the quote icon at the bottom of a post! I tagged the answer by @Ed7789 as the best answer. Isn't that what you wanted? I believe that only Moderators can only tag answers!
    cata nieves likes this.
    02-22-2021 11:29 AM
    @Annie_M Thanks- wasn't sure I tagged correctly. Also didn't realize you tagged @Ed7789 as best answer. New here- wasn't sure how it worked and yes, definitely wanted @Ed7789 tagged as best answer! Just learning how it all works here! thanks, all, again! Greatly appreciated.
    Annie_M likes this.
    02-22-2021 12:01 PM
    @Annie_M Thanks- wasn't sure I tagged correctly. Also didn't realize you tagged @Ed7789 as best answer. New here- wasn't sure how it worked and yes, definitely wanted @Ed7789 tagged as best answer! Just learning how it all works here! thanks, all, again! Greatly appreciated.
    Welcome to iMore, and I'm happy that I could help shine a light on this new behaviour.
    02-22-2021 06:47 PM
    Welcome to iMore, and I'm happy that I could help shine a light on this new behaviour.
    @Ed7789 thanks, this is a real nice site. And thanks again, you’ve really solved this dilemma for me.
    Annie_M and Ed7789 like this.
    02-23-2021 12:24 AM