Home iMore Q&A > Siri

Does Siri really not open navigation while driving??

Asked: Mar 10 2020 | 6:18 pm EDT 2642 Views 5 Answers

So when I'm driving, sometimes I'll come upon a traffic jam. I'll ask Siri to "...take me home...", thinking she can navigate me around the mess and find the fastest route possible. Instead, she says "Sorry, but I can't do that while the phone is locked, and I don't recommend unlocking the phone while you're driving."

Now, Siri WILL check, compose and send text messages for me, play my music, tell me the news via Podcasts for me, but she can't open up the navigation for me?

Seems really odd - am I wrong?

More Answers

Mar 10 2020 | 6:59 pm EDT Just_Me_D

Great question. I know Siri can start navigation on the iPhone itself, but I typically use my car’s built-in speak function to begin the navigation process. Hopefully those who have used or have tried to pull up the navigation feature via Siri in their car will reply soon.

Mar 11 2020 | 11:49 am EDT Annie_M

So when I'm driving, sometimes I'll come upon a traffic jam. I'll ask Siri to "...take me home...", thinking she can navigate me around the mess and find the fastest route possible. Instead, she says "Sorry, but I can't do that while the phone is locked, and I don't recommend unlocking the phone while you're driving."

Now, Siri WILL check, compose and send text messages for me, play my music, tell me the news via Podcasts for me, but she can't open up the navigation for me?

Seems really odd - am I wrong?
First of all, welcome to iMore. I have had a similar experience, and you're absolutely right! It is infuriating. It sounds like a good topic on which to submit feedback to Apple! I just did! Here's a link: https://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html#mn_p

Mar 14 2020 | 8:42 am EDT iwoodland

I have no problems. But my phone stays unlocked

Mar 14 2020 | 8:50 am EDT Lee_Bo

Sounds interesting. I’ll test sometime today and see what happens. But normally I’m using CarPlay but I’ll see if I can recreate it.

Mar 15 2020 | 2:13 pm EDT scruffypig

I have “Allow Siri While Locked” turned off. So, I need to either use Siri on my watch or unlock my iPhone first.