An alternative to "goodbye Siri"?

Douglas M

May 2, 2016
Visit site
I used to be able to say "Go away, Siri" but these days, it has been reprogrammed to make me treat it as though it isn't software but has real feelings. I get the response "that isn't very polite" (which isn't very helpful).

So, I have to remember to say "Goodbye Siri" which, for some reason, gets picked up by other things I sometimes say. I also do not feel 'goodbye' is right, since I am keeping Siri with me but just don't want it listening. (For some reason, I don't have the same problem telling Siri to 'go away' .. I know that isn't consistent!)

I know I could probably edit the text of "Go away, Siri" to say "Goodbye Siri" but this could have unintended ramifications.

Is there any way (for a user without coding abiliity on the iPad) to add a command, even for an existing action, so that I can go back to telling Siri to go away (or maybe to something like "stop listening Siri")?

Last edited:

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I used to be able to say "Go away, Siri" but these days, it has been reprogrammed to make me treat it as though it isn't software but has real feelings. I get the response "that isn't very polite" (which isn't very helpful).

So, I have to remember to say "Goodbye Siri" which, for some reason, gets picked up by other things I sometimes say. I also do not feel 'goodbye' is right, since I am keeping Siri with me but just don't want it listening. (For some reason, I don't have the same problem telling Siri to 'go away' .. I know that isn't consistent!)

I know I could probably edit the text of "Go away, Siri" to say "Goodbye Siri" but this could have unintended ramifications.

Is there any way (for a user without coding abiliity on the iPad) to add a command, even for an existing action, so that I can go back to telling Siri to go away (or maybe to something like "stop listening Siri")?

Sure. If you’re running iOS 11, go to Settings→ Siri & Search, and then disable the toggle next to “Listen for Hey Siri”.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73