Who Keeps Siri Enabled On Lock Screen?

MJ502

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
Just wondering who all keeps Siri enabled on their lock screens. I have been reading a lot recently about the security issues with keeping Siri enabled when the phone is locked and how people can still access certain things on your phone. I can't decide if it is worth keeping her enabled anyway OR if the risks are even that big of a deal. Any opinions on the subject? For example, someone could access your texts, phone call log, post to Facebook and access your contact list (including your own address etc.).

Smply_Rckless

Nov 10, 2014
Visit site
I keep her enabled while my phone is locked. Who will have access to your phone, besides u ? From your views, it's probably best not to enable her. Apple fixed whatever work around a there was to access anything thru Siri

MJ502

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
I keep her enabled while my phone is locked. Who will have access to your phone, besides u ? From your views, it's probably best not to enable her. Apple fixed whatever work around a there was to access anything thru Siri

You actually can access quite a bit from the lock screen using Siri. Try it out. Ask her who the phone belongs to. It will show your address etc. You can also access texts and contacts as well as post to Facebook. Apple has not "fixed this". If someone were to steal your phone, they would be able to access all of this info. I was just looking to see who all keeps Siri enabled regardless of those issues. Can't decide if the pros outweigh the cons. Thanks for your opinion.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
I don't see an issue with it at all. As long as there unable to access my important files.

If your device is lost or stolen you can remote wipe it before it can be fully hacked so why handicap yourself by turning off a handy feature like hands free Siri

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
You actually can access quite a bit from the lock screen using Siri. Try it out. Ask her who the phone belongs to. It will show your address etc. You can also access texts and contacts as well as post to Facebook. Apple has not "fixed this". If someone were to steal your phone, they would be able to access all of this info. I was just looking to see who all keeps Siri enabled regardless of those issues. Can't decide if the pros outweigh the cons. Thanks for your opinion.

You'll get the info in your contact card. Your number and email addresses. That's it though. Any father will require the passcode. I want my info to show if someone asks. They might be wanting to return it. If not, there's not much they can do with my number and email. But if the phone is passcode locked, Siri will not let you in!

MJ502

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
You'll get the info in your contact card. Your number and email addresses. That's it though. Any father will require the passcode. I want my info to show if someone asks. They might be wanting to return it. If not, there's not much they can do with my number and email. But if the phone is passcode locked, Siri will not let you in!

I gotcha. I just wish there was a way to keep people from having Siri read new texts, send texts, post to Facebook etc... which CAN all be done while the phone is locked if you ask Siri to do it. Oh well. Thanks for the reply!

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I gotcha. I just wish there was a way to keep people from having Siri read new texts, send texts, post to Facebook etc... which CAN all be done while the phone is locked if you ask Siri to do it. Oh well. Thanks for the reply!

You can't on my phone. I tried it. I can see my number and email addresses. But when I ask for anything else, I get this:
8744440955294ad3562f1360046c182b.jpg

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

You can send text and post to Facebook, but you can't go there. I don't see that as an issue. Who's gonna post to Facebook that way? Maybe a friend as a prank. Anyone finds your phone or steals it is only gonna be concerned with how they can turn it in to money.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I have Siri enabled on my lock screen, but I'm not worried about it. No one uses my iPhone except "me" or my youngest son on rare occasions. Furthermore, I'm not one to put my iPhone down somewhere and then forget about it. It's either in my hands or in my pocket for the most part.

MJ502

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
Yea, I will probably just keep it off on lock screen. The more you have enabled on lock screen, the less your phone is truly locked. Thanks guys!

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
As an avid "Hey Siri" user I keep it enabled. If I lose my phone I can always lock it remotely so I'm not too concerned.

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I use my phone as a GPS unit and/or music player, so it's plugged into my car radio and the 12v power socket. I keep Siri enabled so I can get her to read aloud any SMS I receive whilst I am driving and to reply to them if required, or to use Siri to verbally change tracks/artists. I love this feature.

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Mine is available from the lock screen. The only time I really use Siri is when my phone is locked and I need to do something quickly and my hands aren't free. "Hey Siri" is diabled, though.

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm not at all worried about it. Not even remotely in the least bit. If I lose my phone and realize I lost it, I'll be doing a remote wipe ASAP. If they want to send out random texts and Facebook posts, so be it. Not like much, if any, harm can be done that way. And I doubt someone stealing my iPhone is going to be worried about that. They're more worried about how they can turn it into a profit, not how they can pepper my Facebook feed with useless posts. I see absolutely NO security issue with it, aside from those who are paranoid about that sort of thing. I also have a 6-digit passcode, so it's even more difficult for them to get into my phone and actually access personal information.

MJ502

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
I'm not at all worried about it. Not even remotely in the least bit. If I lose my phone and realize I lost it, I'll be doing a remote wipe ASAP. If they want to send out random texts and Facebook posts, so be it. Not like much, if any, harm can be done that way. And I doubt someone stealing my iPhone is going to be worried about that. They're more worried about how they can turn it into a profit, not how they can pepper my Facebook feed with useless posts. I see absolutely NO security issue with it, aside from those who are paranoid about that sort of thing. I also have a 6-digit passcode, so it's even more difficult for them to get into my phone and actually access personal information.

Very good points! Thanks

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77