Siri & Bluetooth

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Siri & Bluetooth

It depends. If you have "Hey Siri" activated it uses the iPhone's mic to listen for it. After that, it uses the Bluetooth mic. If "Hey Siri" is off it will solely rely on the Bluetooth mic.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Hi there -

In my car, if I use the speech to text option in iMessage it all happens over the car's system like making a phone call. Mutes the radio, etc. I thought it did the same with "Hey Siri" but it's been a while... I'll have to check :)

Hope that helps!

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Siri & Bluetooth

Hi there -

In my car, if I use the speech to text option in iMessage it all happens over the car's system like making a phone call. Mutes the radio, etc. I thought it did the same with "Hey Siri" but it's been a while... I'll have to check :)

Hope that helps!

"Hey Siri" uses the iPhone's mic before switching to the Bluetooth mic. You never listen to me!

blackmagicwoman

Trusted Member
Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
Does that mean that Siri is always listening? Can he hear other things that is around? Does he have the capacity to hear other people. Why can other people say Hey Siri and he answers. Explain the process. V.

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Does that mean that Siri is always listening? Can he hear other things that is around? Does he have the capacity to hear other people. Why can other people say Hey Siri and he answers. Explain the process. V.

When you set up Siri in iOS 9 Siri goes through a voice training to learn your voice. If my wife says "Hey Siri" her phone responds. If I say it my phone responds. The 6 and 6 Plus are compatible but the phone must be plugged in. The 6s and 6s Plus can work while on battery power.

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Siri & Bluetooth

When you set up Siri in iOS 9 you go through a training to learn your voice. If my wife says "Hey Siri" her phone responds. If I say it my phone responds. The 6 and 6 Plus are compatible but the phone must be plugged in. The 6s and 6s Plus can work while on battery power. So, in a way, Siri is always listening.

blackmagicwoman

Trusted Member
Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for the explanation. I thought it was only setup for the owners voice only. I thought that the setup was to recognize my voice only.

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Siri & Bluetooth

Thank you for the explanation. I thought it was only setup for the owners voice only. I thought that the setup was to recognize my voice only.

"Hey Siri" is but I'm not sure about using the home button and speaking to Siri that way. I'll check and let you know.

UPDATE: Using the home button and then speaking to my wife's 6s responded to my voice. So "Hey Siri" only responds to the owner's voice but Siri in general apparently responds to anyone's voice.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Re: Siri & Bluetooth

"Hey Siri" uses the iPhone's mic before switching to the Bluetooth mic. You never listen to me!

bf23beefa0ba7904c0a4fffccae26a62.jpg

I saw your post, just wasn't 100% sure. I can test it later but my watch also responds!

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

Right, but just for the "hey Siri" portion. I remember my 6 would sometimes hear something on the radio, mute the station, and ask to help me. This voice training helps reduce the chances of that happening!

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Right, but just for the "hey Siri" portion. I remember my 6 would sometimes hear something on the radio, mute the station, and ask to help me. This voice training helps reduce the chances of that happening!

I keep my phone on my desk at work and Siri misinterprets something I've said as "Hey Siri" at least once a week. All of a sudden Siri will start talking to me while I'm in a client meeting. It's comical.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR