I get that Siri needs data to looks things up, but why does it need data for everything? Case in point, I work in Verizon territory, and they have a habit of turning off roaming data for months at a time. Yesterday, I tried "call my wife" and Siri couldn't comply. Shouldn't there be a few things Siri could do locally? Being burdened with working in Verizon territory, I often have to make do without data (and without voice when the network is overburdened, as it often is). It would be nice if Siri could do a few of the simple things when I am driving.
    02-23-2012 02:03 PM
    From what I have read Siri uses servers for voice to text dictation and speech recognition. This is why it will always need a data connection to function.
    02-23-2012 02:39 PM
    Not to mention if you ask her to look something up for you. She'll need Safari.
    02-23-2012 04:40 PM
    I get that Siri needs data to looks things up, but why does it need data for everything? Case in point, I work in Verizon territory, and they have a habit of turning off roaming data for months at a time. Yesterday, I tried "call my wife" and Siri couldn't comply. Shouldn't there be a few things Siri could do locally? Being burdened with working in Verizon territory, I often have to make do without data (and without voice when the network is overburdened, as it often is). It would be nice if Siri could do a few of the simple things when I am driving.
    Good point made my Nobody Listens To Laura about if you ask Siri to look something up. More importantly everytime you ask Siri to do something it is actually contacting Apples servers where it indeed looks up what you ask and answer back in full sentances just as if you have called Apple and how Apple answer you.... I can speak in Full Sentences... You need data servers to acomplish this.
    02-23-2012 07:16 PM
    Yes, but I think the point of the OP was that why would Siri need to access Apples servers to look up a phone number on your phone?
    02-23-2012 07:27 PM
    Yes, but I think the point of the OP was that why would Siri need to access Apples servers to look up a phone number on your phone?

the voice dictation is done server side.
    02-23-2012 09:42 PM
    ^^

Interesting..
    02-24-2012 10:50 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD