Is Siri Gimmicky?

Toher

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Just wondering what your thoughts were - is Siri something that you continuously use months after getting the 4s, or is it mostly something fun to mess around with when you first get the phone and as a little party trick?

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
I'm praying that most people will quit messing with it as a party trick so that we can use it for things like setting reminders, sending texts, and moving appointments.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I used the 4S for 29 days and in the end I was hardly using Siri at all. I think Siri was good when it worked properly, however there are still improvements needed. However, I know some of my coworkers with the 4S who use Siri a lot and do find it to be useful.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Use it all the time. Much more than I ever thought I would. I would like to see my iPad 2 with it.

I don't think Siri will come to the iPad 2, at least not without jailbreaking. The iPad 3 should be the first iPad with Siri.

spinecho

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I have had my 4s for a couple of months now and I am using Siri just as much as I did the first day I got it. Siri is great for reminders and entering in my scheduleed appointments for work and also for my personal life. She has been awesome for those times when I need to jot something down really quick but wind up not doing it. I can just tell her and it is done. I agree there is room for I improvement but I have been impressed so far.

Totalimmortal363

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
I was just wondering - How many threads are you going to post with your passive agressive jabs at the iPhone? This is an iPhone forum afterall....

Just wondering.

BrindawithanI

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
I was just wondering - How many threads are you going to post with your passive agressive jabs at the iPhone? This is an iPhone forum afterall....

Just wondering.

^^ ;)

I use Siri more and more every day. I was at the grocery store the other day and didn't have my glasses but was still able to use my phone to convert something for a recipe. Siri has allowed me to use my phone more easily, in general, for this very reason. :p

mca312

Nov 23, 2011
Visit site
I use it all the time for setting reminders and sending texts (especially while I'm riding my bike).

Just a few days ago, I was visiting family in another state. I was flying Southwest, and you can print your boarding pass 24 hours ahead of time to get a better spot on the plane. My mother said she'd set a reminder on her phone so I'd know to do it as soon as I could. Her and my brother (both with androids) were futzing with their phones, trying to set the reminder at the appropriate time, while I just told siri to do it. Took me about 5 seconds to set the reminder, while it took my mother over a minute

MunchkinD13

Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I just got a Bluetooth speaker for my car that activates Siri so I use it all the time. I use it to make calls and send text messages with my Bluetooth. I don't ask it all the retarded questions I used to though.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I personally don't think it is, i still use it pretty often to do text messages while I'm driving or to find things, and it has been extremely useful on road trips during the holidays (especially out of state).

I'd honestly say the more useless new "feature" for me has been the notification screen...(the drop down one that is). I NEVER use that feature...it's nice to have them show up on the lock screen, but the drop down menu in my opinion was a total gimmick.

Kehjj04

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
I personally don't think it is, i still use it pretty often to do text messages while I'm driving or to find things, and it has been extremely useful on road trips during the holidays (especially out of state).

I'd honestly say the more useless new "feature" for me has been the notification screen...(the drop down one that is). I NEVER use that feature...it's nice to have them show up on the lock screen, but the drop down menu in my opinion was a total gimmick.

I totally agree about the drop down screen! I have never used it not once!

anon(4745099)

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
I still use Siri quite often for reminders, appointments, and reading messages. When at home, I'll usually say "thank you" after a command just to see my wife roll her eyes at me and Siri's response. ;-)

MunchkinD13

Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I still use Siri quite often for reminders, appointments, and reading messages. When at home, I'll usually say "thank you" after a command just to see my wife roll her eyes at me and Siri's response. ;-)

In the beginning I kept saying thank you. I have no idea why. It was just automatic. Guess it really felt like talking to a person. I asked Siri why I felt the need to say thank you and she didn't know. LOL

Motorbones

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
For me Siri is about 75% business and 25% fun. Nothing wrong with doing either or both. I paid for the privilege and will use it as I see fit. What I do know is yes, Siri is still a work in progress as is most everything else we use in life. Nothing wrong with that, but I also think it's off to a great start!!!!

timberga

Jun 24, 2009
Visit site
I totally agree about the drop down screen! I have never used it not once!

You don't use it because you aren't reminded about whats up there in it.....kinda a flawed implementation by Appl. I love that there's one place to find out whats going on in my phone.....but not if I constantly have to swipe down to see if there's anything to look at.

timberga

Jun 24, 2009
Visit site
For me SIRI isn't that useful.....I have a super short commute home so the main time I would be using SIRI would be in the car....directions, sending txt's, etc.

kfan12

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
I don't use Siri mainly because it doesn't quite reduce the time it takes for me to actually type out a text message considering I'm a bit of a stickler for capitalizations and punctuations when I text. I also found that people talking in the background can sometimes throw off Siri and you'll have to manually end your voice input for Siri to register what you said, at least that's the experience I had with Siri.

zstairlessone

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
I've only had mine for about 3 weeks, but I find myself using it more rather than less. Perfect to do stuff while driving, I can text - just can't read the replies while driving, too bad Siri can't read those to me.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR