Pile on Time.. Siri lets strangers control some iPhone functions without a password

johndhynes

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
Did you know that if you don't set a passcode that strangers can also control your phone? I'm tired of all these scare stories about security flaws that aren't real. I think these articles are just link-bait.

If you don't want Siri to work without the passcode, then simply turn that feature off! It's up to the user. There are always trade offs between convenience and security.

verwon

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Did you know that if you don't set a passcode that strangers can also control your phone? I'm tired of all these scare stories about security flaws that aren't real. I think these articles are just link-bait.

If you don't want Siri to work without the passcode, then simply turn that feature off! It's up to the user. There are always trade offs between convenience and security.

Agreed!

Sent from my iOS ecosystem!

TheCIArr

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site

To be honest, This setting is enabled by default. I agree that the headline is meant to maximize click through but the fact will remains. Apple probably should have a popup that educates users and gives the option the enable Siri on the lock screen instead.

robes1

May 31, 2009
Visit site
Who needed am article to know this? If you've picked up your phone and held down the home button while it was locked then you knew this! And who hasn't already tried that just to see what would happen?

johndhynes

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
Passcodes are also disabled by default. The setting for Siri is right there where you enable your passcode. When you turn on the passcode, you can choose whether to turn on Siri on the lock screen or not.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
I usually don't let strangers use my phone. But i guess this could a problem for others who do this sort of thing.

TheCIArr

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Except Siri is disabled by default, so.... Personal accountability plays a role here. Don't enable a feature until you understand it's options as well as risks.

Maybe my experience was different than yours but I was presented with the option to turn Siri on during configuration/activation - doesnt really matter either way. Anyways, The way the default is set now, too much responsibility is put on the user. Like someone said earlier, convenience and security are often opposites but that doesn't mean the user shouldn't get some guidance.

I guess I should start by saying I don't think this is a big deal - Apple could easily change/solve this issue. But to me, the user should get a popup that says Siri is available in the lockscreen without a passcode and how/where to change this - they already give us a popup to tell us to hold down the home key to activate Siri do why not. It seems weird that they went to the trouble of an entire menu, in the name of security, to toggle the amount of location services (because of locationgate) that are logged and yet they largely defeat the purpose of a pass code.

I think if you look at it objectively and weigh all the options, this is a valid question to ask. We all agre that it's a question that shouldn't be sensationalized the way it is being written about by so many sites, but we shouldn't be dismissive of this either.

In the end, i can agree to disagree.

Last edited:

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Passcodes are also disabled by default. The setting for Siri is right there where you enable your passcode. When you turn on the passcode, you can choose whether to turn on Siri on the lock screen or not.

This. When I got my iPhone, I enabled passcode lock and I changed a bunch of default settings, including Siri when locked, to what I wanted rather than factory defaults.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro