Lets hear it, Siri ! The good , the bad, the ugly .

dandbj13

Mar 10, 2010
Visit site
About Siri...

Both my parents are blind and have bought iPhone 4Ss for Siri, as well as VoiceOver. For us, Siri is not a toy or an improvement in productivity, or a status symbol. It is the difference between being able to do certain things on a smartphone and not being able to do them. You will understand that my interest in Siri is a bit more Siri-ouse :) than the average person.

First, you absolutely need a rock-solid connection. I suspect many of the problems, yesterday, were from Apple's end. Time to build another data center. If they don't get on top of it in a hurry, the iPhone 4S will be the most returned iPhone.

Second, it seems Siri does not like cases or remote mics. When naked, Siri performs beautifully. (Get your minds out of the gutter). When dressed up in anything that might interfere with the mic, all bets are off. It is none too fund of my expensive Bose headset, either. :(

Lifting the phone to the ear does not seem to be working reliably, either. It is hit or miss. Again, it is great when it works. I suspect this can be fixed with software tweaks. Here's to hoping.

There has been much made about the fact that you cannot change the voice. This is only haft true. The iPhone ships with a ton of voices and languages installed, and Siri can use them all as near as I can tell. Here's the catch. We use VoiceOver: the built-in screen reader that most people do not know is there. I select different voices on the fly. I am not going to detail how it is done because if you do not need to use VoiceOver, you would just be confused. It changes the interface to be more accessible to blind users. Since I use both interfaces all the time, it is easy for me. If you use VoiceOver, Siri will speak with the VoiceOver preference.

That's all for now. I will check back later and add more thoughts as I have time. Enjoy.

Reactions: Joan SC and Behshad

so.long.pre

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
sad

I woke up this morning with Siri on my mind. When I smiled and pressed the button I get "uh oh, there's a problem. Can you try again?" After 10 more tries...

Come on Apple, get on top of this ASAP, or like someone else said, "the IP4s will be one of the most returned phones ever"

Tammster

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I woke up this morning with Siri on my mind. When I smiled and pressed the button I get "uh oh, there's a problem. Can you try again?" After 10 more tries...

Come on Apple, get on top of this ASAP, or like someone else said, "the IP4s will be one of the most returned phones ever"

Interesting. I had the opposite experience. This morning I played with Siri on my 40 minute drive to work and not once didn't it work right, unlike last night, when it worked properly like 60% of the time.

Tammster

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I'm sure you turned siri on but it works if your home screen is up and then hold phone to your ear and it will work. It won't work if your phone is on lock screen

It also works if your in a text message. If you hold the phone up to your ear, Siri will beep & you can just speak your response. Then put the phone down and it will take a few seconds to pull up the text & then click send.

nate0708

Oct 15, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone discovered you can say smiley face or frowny face lol and they will show up in your text? Any other cool little things like this anybodys noticed?

GibMcFragger

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
Siri is horrible for me. It screws up 50% of what I say. It must be my "Canadian accent"....

Beamed over the interwebz from my iPhone 4S using Siri.

aggieastrosfan

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Worked great last night, no issues at all. Today has been a different story, however. Over wifi and 3G, and I've been getting the network issues all day. I actually had a legitimate question for her, too - I'm at the beach this weekend, and I wanted to know when high tide was!

spuntz82

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
I love Siri! I was an android user 2 days ago, and I always used "Google Voice" but wow, it has nothing on Siri! I also see why Apple has such die hard fans. This phone is amazing! Check out what Siri says when you ask it about woodchucks.....

Rex_Suggs

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
it has alot of problems connecting to my network even when i am on wifi or 3g with 5 bars. i have not been able to use siri all day long today

rstark18

Sep 2, 2009
Visit site
Siri is horrible for me. It screws up 50% of what I say. It must be my "Canadian accent"....
Beamed over the interwebz from my iPhone 4S using Siri.

Me too and I'm "normal" (just kidding). But it just is transhacking what I tell it A LOT of the time :( It had now problem with Siri Sucks though.

EmceeGeek

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
11-1.jpg

11-2.jpg

11-4.jpg

Basically.

ROSES5682

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
Siri has been MIA for me. I keep calling for her but she takes a loooong time to respond. :mad: I had to giver her a verbal warning lol.

ilwhana

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure if it is At&t or Apple, but one of them need to
work on their server. My Siri is often having trouble connecting to server.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73