I say good luck to Samsung on the folds/flips. Ironically their sales would be most positively effected by Apple offering a fold/flip. What Apple does, often so goes the overall industry. But as I opined before, flip/folds is a solution in search of a problem, trading off a number of things that are the basis for the existing phone market. Project Failure.
    Sales of flips/folds have, I believe, increased with every new model. Why? I'm not sure but people like them. Probably because they're not just another boring slab in a different color. I give them credit for innovating. We need more of that.
    08-29-2022 03:17 PM
    Innovation translates into sales, gimmicks unfortunately do not sell very well.

Absurdly fat gimmicks that have a crease down the middle of the screen, sell even less.
    08-29-2022 03:34 PM
    The fun thing is we get to sit back and see what happens. It doesn't hurt any of us.
    08-29-2022 04:08 PM
    08-29-2022 04:15 PM
    You and your memes.

You have too much time on your hands.
    08-29-2022 04:17 PM
    You and your memes.

You have too much time on your hands.

A couple of seconds at most.
    anon(50597) and Up_And_Away like this.
    08-29-2022 04:24 PM
    Don’t get me wrong, there is likely a market out there for a fold (there’s also a smaller “market” for hyper cooled gaming phones). Not every use case is precisely the same across the phone market. But sales increasing doesn’t equate even remotely close to changing the market or, as was stated and I responded to, being 50% of Samsung phone sales. As an example, Apple’s sales in India are increasing! every! year!. So obviously Apple is one of the big successes in India? Ahem. Or Google Pixel sales are increasing! every! Year! They’re a big success in the market? Not unsuccessful but let’s put it this way, Google still categorizes pixel sales as “other” (despite Google, ahem, based YouTube tech channels every year hyping them, some as the IPhone! Killer! Comical).

Part of this game is marketing and hype. Get increasing sales immediately! An unfortunate, imho, part of that marketing is YT tech channels hyping the marketing. Hmmm, I wonder if there is a way for a big company’s marketing to get those YT tech channels to hype anything? Hmmm, naaa :-). (Already Queued for 2023 YT tech channels: OMG! This the flip/fold is Amazing! I’m switching to it! [but please skip 2022 and 2021 flip/fold review videos where they were also Amazing!] Unfortunately these channels hold too much power, power that ever more infrequently is not serving the consumers]).
    08-30-2022 01:05 AM
    Don’t get me wrong, there is likely a market out there for a fold (there’s also a smaller “market” for hyper cooled gaming phones). Not every use case is precisely the same across the phone market. But sales increasing doesn’t equate even remotely close to changing the market or, as was stated and I responded to, being 50% of Samsung phone sales. As an example, Apple’s sales in India are increasing! every! year!. So obviously Apple is one of the big successes in India? Ahem. Or Google Pixel sales are increasing! every! Year! They’re a big success in the market? Not unsuccessful but let’s put it this way, Google still categorizes pixel sales as “other” (despite Google, ahem, based YouTube tech channels every year hyping them, some as the IPhone! Killer! Comical).

Part of this game is marketing and hype. Get increasing sales immediately! An unfortunate, imho, part of that marketing is YT tech channels hyping the marketing. Hmmm, I wonder if there is a way for a big company’s marketing to get those YT tech channels to hype anything? Hmmm, naaa :-). (Already Queued for 2023 YT tech channels: OMG! This the flip/fold is Amazing! I’m switching to it! [but please skip 2022 and 2021 flip/fold review videos where they were also Amazing!] Unfortunately these channels hold too much power, power that ever more infrequently is not serving the consumers]).
    Increasing sales is a trend. You are correct the end result may not be 50% as Samsung is hoping. It does show progress and, most likely, what customers may be accepting.
    08-31-2022 05:28 PM
    I’m not interested in a flip or foldable phone.
    FFR likes this.
    08-31-2022 07:57 PM
    Maybe, only the future will tell the tale. But 4 years of ultra hype (lead by one of the biggest names out there) equaling a sliver of the market, even an annually increasing sliver? Not sure how that is a sign of a ground shift in the market.
    FFR likes this.
    09-01-2022 12:38 AM
    Maybe, only the future will tell the tale. But 4 years of ultra hype (lead by one of the biggest names out there) equaling a sliver of the market, even an annually increasing sliver? Not sure how that is a sign of a ground shift in the market.

4 years of ultra hype and low sales.
    09-01-2022 06:20 AM
    Like it or not, Apple is definitely joining the revolution.

https://www.tomsguide.com/news/folda...t-what-we-know
    09-06-2022 06:36 AM
    I'm not against an Apple foldable iPhone. I just don't think I'll be interested! As others have said, time will tell!
    phlamethrowre likes this.
    09-06-2022 09:03 AM
    I shall watch the reviews, when a foldy fone will reliably last 5+years with a prefectly flat screen, I’ll have another look !
    Annie_M, phlamethrowre and FFR like this.
    09-07-2022 05:12 AM
    LOVE the folding phones! Absolutely love them! My first was the Fold 3, then got a Flip 3 now a Fold 4. Prefer the Fold over the flip due to the huge screen real estate and the fact it can be used for a lot of things folded. When using it folded (Fold 4) for a phone call it kind of reminds me of a Simon. (for those of you old enough to remember LOL!)

I also love iPhones and it simply cannot be argued they have the best video capture.

So if (Apple) comes out with a folding version it's game over for me!

I was really skeptical especially with the first gen (2019) that had the screen protector that would destroy the screen if you removed it and durability was of concern. Fold 3 added an IP rating to include water resistance and that was good enough for me. They are quite durable for what they are, essentially a laptop you can carry in your pocket!

Are they for everyone? Well of course not, given the expense to get one and some just don't want it. I know at first I was totally unsure, like tasting a new food for the first time, sometimes you spit it out, others you cannot get enough. For me, the fold was the latter.

Flip is nice too, but my preference is the fold.
    Annie_M and tadpoles like this.
    09-09-2022 08:15 AM
    09-09-2022 06:39 PM
    Long term durability might be an issue for foldables.

09-19-2022 11:40 AM
67 123