RUMOR: Foldable iPhone

Evilguppy

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
Ooooooh sure: a foldable iPhone that folds into eighths down to the size of a postage stamp, with a little toggle and voilà: it doubles up as an earring or cuff link

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Ooooooh sure: a foldable iPhone that folds into eighths down to the size of a postage stamp, with a little toggle and voilà: it doubles up as an earring or cuff link

........as you drop said device down the sink drain.........

Oooo, another $2k to spend.

Evilguppy

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
........as you drop said device down the sink drain.........

Oooo, another $2k to spend.

You know what’s weird? We spent YEARS moving away from the flip phone but yet here we are, trying to pretend that this is anything but a flip phone but without the good parts. 🤷🏻*♀️

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
With the announcement of the razr and Z flip does anyone want to buy a flip iPhone if it is built???

I for one really like the Z flip form factor and would jump on an Apple version in a heartbeat

fredriks

May 24, 2013
Visit site
With the announcement of the razr and Z flip does anyone want to buy a flip iPhone if it is built???

I for one really like the Z flip form factor and would jump on an Apple version in a heartbeat

I think I would like a foldable iphone. Really like the form factor of those foldable phones. But it depends on its pricing. Wouldn’t pay a overprice for one

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I have to admit, what I've seen from yesterday's announcement, it's better than I could imagine. So if Apple comes up with one, while I still doubt I'd get one, I wouldn't completely rule it out.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I'd have to see the reviews first. Will it work well? Durability? Will it tear up quickly? Regardless, I doubt I'd be interested, especially if the cost is considerably higher. Still seems gimmicky to me.

wenrob

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
I think what they’ve done is cool but that crease I’ve seen in the hands on videos *really* bugs me. I wonder what the durability will be.

For my use case and the way I use my phone it would be a pass for me. I’d never say never though. I didn’t think I’d ever own an Apple Watch and now I’d replace it on the spot if something happened to it.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I’d be intrigued. I love the new Razr just as I did the original. My only issue would be the screen cracking from pettily slamming my phone closed during/after a call

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I am intrigued by the idea but will definitely wait a couple of years to see how it works out, especially since I just got a new iPhone! I only upgrade every couple of years so my timing may work out well!

rewNATION

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Can only imagine what Apple would charge for something like that. If it would be thicker like an old flip phone then that's a hard no for me. Call me old fashioned but I don't even like phones with no physical home button.

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I have to admit, what I've seen from yesterday's announcement, it's better than I could imagine. So if Apple comes up with one, while I still doubt I'd get one, I wouldn't completely rule it out.

This is exactly how I feel too. I very much expect any Apple foldable phone to be knocking on the door of $2k anyway and that's just too much for me to justify.

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
Can only imagine what Apple would charge for something like that. If it would be thicker like an old flip phone then that's a hard no for me. Call me old fashioned but I don't even like phones with no physical home button.

I feel the same way, I actually looked at getting a Samsung Galaxy Fold 2, but I just can’t justify 2k for a phone. I understand the R&D and cost to goes into developing such a device.

But being I am business minded and worked in the auto industry that’s volume driven and they also invest heavily to develop a new product. I have always believed that if you offer a great product at a price the average consumer can afford, the product will sell.

If they really wanted to get the foldable devices out there so the average consumer could afford one to see if they like the concept. They would price it reasonable and would sell every one they make, instead it’s marketed as a niche product and priced where the average consumer can’t afford it.