I haven't seen a "when to buy" lately, so I thought I'd ask.

I have a 2014 core-i7 iMac5K (bought refurbished) and want to move up to a newer processor and GPU.

My wife - who's running on a dying 2010 MacBook Pro - stands to inherit the iMac, and I'd love to buy a new model but don't want the dreaded "new faster model (iMac5K) comes out one month after you bought" syndrome.

I've been looking for my optimum choice of refurb (4.2ghz core-i7, AMD Radeon 580, 8 GB RAM, 3TB Fusion drive) but it hasn't shown up.

Any advice? I hate to see my wife suffer with that Gawd-awful dual core MacBook pro.
    04-26-2018 09:05 AM
    I am going to say it here also... But if you need a new computer get one. There will always be a faster, better one coming out. What ever you get now will be MUCH better than what you have so its a win win no matter what!
    pkcable, Just_Me_D and Jude526 like this.
    04-26-2018 01:02 PM
    If it were me I would replace the laptop, and thus still have an iMac and a MacBook in the family. HOWEVER here's some blogs about buying an iMac...

https://www.imore.com/mac-mini-vs-im...should-you-get

https://www.imore.com/imac-vs-imac-pro-should-you-wait

https://www.imore.com/mac-pro
    04-26-2018 01:03 PM
    I haven't seen a "when to buy" lately, so I thought I'd ask.

I have a 2014 core-i7 iMac5K (bought refurbished) and want to move up to a newer processor and GPU.

My wife - who's running on a dying 2010 MacBook Pro - stands to inherit the iMac, and I'd love to buy a new model but don't want the dreaded "new faster model (iMac5K) comes out one month after you bought" syndrome.

I've been looking for my optimum choice of refurb (4.2ghz core-i7, AMD Radeon 580, 8 GB RAM, 3TB Fusion drive) but it hasn't shown up.

Any advice? I hate to see my wife suffer with that Gawd-awful dual core MacBook pro.
    If you need a new iMac go ahead and buy one now. In my opinion, the best time to buy one is when you need one...
    pkcable likes this.
    04-26-2018 05:23 PM
    I am so used to laptops a desk top would seem awkward to me. If it is what you want then get one. I saw them at Best Buy and they are stunning but I am definitely ok with my 2015 Mac Pro. I love it and works great and looks new. I take really good care of my gadgets.
    09-09-2018 03:18 PM