Is Mr. Cook telling the truth or preparing consumers for what’s to come?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
There are reports of Tim Cook saying in regard to augmented reality hardware, “Anything you would see on the market any time soon would not be something any of us would be satisfied with”.
Source: https://www.theverge.com/2017/10/11/16458944/apple-ar-glasses-tech-doesnt-exist-says-tim-cook

With that in mind, do you believe him or do you think he’s downplaying what’s currently available and what competitors will be offering before Apple is ready to its offering?

anon(10092459)

Dec 11, 2016
Visit site
Cook definitely isn't Jobs, so I take what he has to say with a grain of salt. IMO, saying "the technology itself doesn’t exist" is just an excuse not to innovate. If the current AR technology innovations aren't to your liking, then create what is. Apple more cash than a lot of countries and is a technology titan. No reason not to create.

“We don’t give a rat’s about being first,” he said. “We want to be the best.” says it best for me. Complain about what others are doing, yet let them take all the risk of innovation and creation. Unreal!

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Cook definitely isn't Jobs, so I take what he has to say with a grain of salt. IMO, saying "the technology itself doesn’t exist" is just an excuse not to innovate. If the current AR technology innovations aren't to your liking, then create what is. Apple more cash than a lot of countries and is a technology titan. No reason not to create.

“We don’t give a rat’s about being first,” he said. “We want to be the best.” says it best for me. Complain about what others are doing, yet let them take all the risk of innovation and creation. Unreal!

Cook is definitely not the innovator Jobs was. It’s safe to say nobody is. I’m kind of okay with it though. Smartphones are a mature technology in many ways. Makers have been flinging half-baked features at the wall to see what sticks for quite some time now. Face ID, for example, is already a feature of Samsung’s latest Galaxy devices but I’ve watched multiple videos of users unlocking them with printed photographs. Apple’s Face ID is in a league of its own. Apple is hardly first to market, but they tend to do things better than the competition.

Cook didn’t say that the technology doesn’t exist, he said that it doesn’t exist in a way that would allow them to make a quality device that users would enjoy. I see where he’s coming from. If Apple releases a garbage device everyone thinks they’re doomed and they risk damage to their brand image. While we techies tend to see through all of that the market as a whole isn’t as forgiving. The AR glasses we’ve seen to date are hideous and don’t work all that well.

I think we’ll eventually see a standalone AR device from Apple but probably not for 4-5 years.

Last edited:

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Cook is definitely not the innovator Jobs was. It’s safe to say nobody is. I’m kind of okay with it though. Smartphones are a mature technology in many ways. Makers have been flinging half-baked features at the wall to see what sticks for quite some time now. Face ID, for example, is already a feature of Samsung’s latest Galaxy devices but I’ve watched multiple videos of users unlocking them with printed photographs. Apple’s Face ID is in a league of its own. Apple is hardly first to market, but they tend to do things better than the competition.

Cook didn’t say that the technology doesn’t exist, he said that it doesn’t exist in a way that would allow them to make a quality device that users would enjoy. I see where he’s coming from. If Apple releases a garbage device everyone thinks they’re doomed and they risk damage to their brand image. While we techies tend to see through all of that the market as a whole isn’t as forgiving. The AR glasses we’ve seen to date are hideous and don’t work all that well.

I think we’ll eventually see a standalone AR device from Apple but probably not for 4-5 years.

Excellent response, sir....

anon(10092459)

Dec 11, 2016
Visit site

I hear what you're saying for sure, but stand by my post. The full sentence from the Verge article reads; Cook said that currently “the technology itself doesn’t exist” to make augmented reality glasses “in a quality way.”. Okay if that's the reason he wants to lean on, it begs the question of what is Apple doing today to make it so that the technology DOES exist. ARKit is lauded in the tech community as a solid offering from Apple, so the base is there.

Saying Apple wants to be "best" is a given, but so does every other company. Wanting to be "best" is definitely one of those subjective terms that a lot of people hide behind when they don't have a better way to add color to their current standing. It's like saying "potential". Potential = not doing s*** today.

How does anyone even measure that...? sales? implementation? personal opinion..? You mention Face ID, but we're still waiting to see how Apple's version is in the wild. It could be a horrible solution for the consumer with day in/day out use.

My issue isn't with Apple, it's with Cook. Maybe living in the shadow of Jobs is unfair, granted. However, he's been running on Jobs "fuel" for 6 years and that tank is running low on him, IMO.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

My issue isn't with Apple, it's with Cook. Maybe living in the shadow of Jobs is unfair, granted. However, he's been running on Jobs "fuel" for 6 years and that tank is running low on him, IMO.

What specifically are you expecting from Tim Cook? We all know that he’s not Steve Jobs, but since sales of the iPhone is still strong under his leadership, can his tenure not arguably be considered successful, thus far?

anon(10092459)

Dec 11, 2016
Visit site
What specifically are you expecting from Tim Cook? We all know that he’s not Steve Jobs, but since sales of the iPhone is still strong under his leadership, can his tenure not arguably be considered successful, thus far?

If we're using the lens of financial statements, then there is no issue with Cook's leadership. Sales of the iPhone would be successful regardless of his leadership. Apple depends on it's current customer base to drive sales (upgrades etc), so as long as he doesn't destroy that loyalty, iPhone sales should be fine.

But, to me, that's where the issue lies. plenty of businesses have relied on what works and miss or are behind on the next wave of industry change. In recent history, Microsoft's lack of vision and ultimate failure with mobile is an example.

Which brings me to Cook. He's yet to show, in my opinion at least, that he's forward thinking and has his eyes on the horizon. His choice of words when describing Apple, don't give me confidence that he has a vision for the future. I feel like he's "comfortable" and, specific to this topic, that's relayed in his words around AR glasses from Apple.

I believe there is a turn happening in tech around AI/ML that he's missed and is behind on. I feel like he's squandered his head start with Siri and has allowed Amazon and Google to expand in the their implementation of the Virtual Assistant and services. With Siri in their back pocket, Apple should've been all over this area.

Phones are great, but that technology is mature. It's past time for Cook to look to the horizon.

Last edited:

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
If we're using the lens of financial statements, then there is no issue with Cook's leadership. Sales of the iPhone would be successful regardless of his leadership. Apple depends on it's current customer base to drive sales (upgrades etc), so as long as he doesn't destroy that loyalty, iPhone sales should be fine.

But, to me, that's where the issue lies. plenty of businesses have relied on what works and miss or are behind on the next wave of industry change. In recent history, Microsoft's lack of vision and ultimate failure with mobile is an example.

Which brings me to Cook. He's yet to show, in my opinion at least, that he's forward thinking and has his eyes on the horizon. His choice of words when describing Apple, don't give me confidence that he has a vision for the future. I feel like he's "comfortable" and, specific to this topic, that's relayed in his words around AR glasses from Apple.

I believe there is a turn happening in tech around AI/ML that he's missed and is behind on. I feel like he's squandered his head start with Siri and has allowed Amazon and Google to expand in the their implementation of the Virtual Assistant and services. With Siri in their back pocket, Apple should've been all over this area.

Phones are great, but that technology is mature. It's past time for Cook to look to the horizon.

This seems more like a Mr. Cook isn’t doing the things you think he should be doing or in the timeframe you think they should be done type of complaint. Don’t get me wrong. I’m not trying to invalidate your complaints because you could very well be right. Still, companies like Apple have long term plans and step by step introductions to its customer base. With that in mind, what if Cook is following the plans left by Jobs to the letter. Would that alter your view of him and/or Jobs?

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I hear what you're saying for sure, but stand by my post. The full sentence from the Verge article reads; Cook said that currently “the technology itself doesn’t exist” to make augmented reality glasses “in a quality way.”. Okay if that's the reason he wants to lean on, it begs the question of what is Apple doing today to make it so that the technology DOES exist. ARKit is lauded in the tech community as a solid offering from Apple, so the base is there.

Saying Apple wants to be "best" is a given, but so does every other company. Wanting to be "best" is definitely one of those subjective terms that a lot of people hide behind when they don't have a better way to add color to their current standing. It's like saying "potential". Potential = not doing s*** today.

Fair enough but I’d be shocked if Apple isn’t actively working on evolving AR technology. I think it’s more about the technology not yet being where they want it to be than a lack of trying to get there.

anon(10092459)

Dec 11, 2016
Visit site
This seems more like a Mr. Cook isn’t doing the things you think he should be doing or in the timeframe you think they should be done type of complaint. Don’t get me wrong. I’m not trying to invalidate your complaints because you could very well be right. Still, companies like Apple have long term plans and step by step introductions to its customer base. With that in mind, what if Cook is following the plans left by Jobs to the letter. Would that alter your view of him and/or Jobs?

It's interesting.. I watched Jobs last WWDC in 2011 to get somewhat of a refresh of his thoughts at that time. During his presentation about iCloud, which he called "our next big insight", he touched on "demoting" devices and making the iCloud the center of your digital life. Perhaps, he saw then what I believe is evolving now. That services and ecosystem will be the center and not the device.

Staying with that line of thought, Siri needs to be point of engagement and not necessarily the screen. If that's true we can look at one of Cook's successes, Apple Watch, and see if there's a reflection of his thoughts.

Untethering the series 3 seems to suggest, to me at least, that he's moving that direction. If that's true, and it's a big if at this point, HomePod should be his next step in that direction, with assorted sizes for different areas of the home and office. Reducing the need to have to engage a screen to do basic computing, such as reading and sending a message or make a phone call. If he doesn't take that real estate, someone else will.

So if devices are indeed "demoted" as Jobs said, and the center is no longer the phone (though it still plays its part, for sure), that will be what I am looking for from Cook. I think Cook does see it this way and will invest more into Siri and AI/ML. He's just slower than his competitors, where Jobs was more "tip of the spear" so to speak.

anon(10092459)

Dec 11, 2016
Visit site
Fair enough but I’d be shocked if Apple isn’t actively working on evolving AR technology. I think it’s more about the technology not yet being where they want it to be than a lack of trying to get there.

I think you're right. Apple will put something out at some point. I just think he doesn't drive for results like Jobs did. All of this is just one man's opinion and mine is about as valuable as any others... worthless!:laughing:

Time will tell...

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
It's interesting.. I watched Jobs last WWDC in 2011 to get somewhat of a refresh of his thoughts at that time. During his presentation about iCloud, which he called "our next big insight", he touched on "demoting" devices and making the iCloud the center of your digital life. Perhaps, he saw then what I believe is evolving now. That services and ecosystem will be the center and not the device.

Staying with that line of thought, Siri needs to be point of engagement and not necessarily the screen. If that's true we can look at one of Cook's successes, Apple Watch, and see if there's a reflection of his thoughts.

Untethering the series 3 seems to suggest, to me at least, that he's moving that direction. If that's true, and it's a big if at this point, HomePod should be his next step in that direction, with assorted sizes for different areas of the home and office. Reducing the need to have to engage a screen to do basic computing, such as reading and sending a message or make a phone call. If he doesn't take that real estate, someone else will.

So if devices are indeed "demoted" as Jobs said, and the center is no longer the phone (though it still plays its part, for sure), that will be what I am looking for from Cook. I think Cook does see it this way and will invest more into Siri and AI/ML. He's just slower than his competitors, where Jobs was more "tip of the spear" so to speak.

Your reply was well stated and made a lot of sense. Well done!....

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
There are reports of Tim Cook saying in regard to augmented reality hardware, “Anything you would see on the market any time soon would not be something any of us would be satisfied with”.
Source: https://www.theverge.com/2017/10/11/16458944/apple-ar-glasses-tech-doesnt-exist-says-tim-cook

With that in mind, do you believe him or do you think he’s downplaying what’s currently available and what competitors will be offering before Apple is ready to its offering?

Its the same thing they always do. Will claim the competitors aren't good enough, then a few years down the road come out with what has been out for awhile (see OLED screen in iPhone x, wireless charging, etc)