Are we expecting an updated Mini to land sometime this year?

ruger141

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
Are we expecting an updated Mini to land sometime this year? I wouldn't mind replacing my older Galaxy Tab S 8.4 with one but only if a newer model drops with an improved screen. More and more I'm wanting the integration of all my pics, music etc with my phone, I just can't downgrade from the nicer, higher res LED screen of my current tablet to what the minis offer now. I use the tablet a lot at night for videos, reading etc and that along with dual speakers and the smaller size are what I appreciate in a tablet. Hopefully Apple will come out with a sharper higher res model soon, something they used to promote as a selling feature. It feels like they've let that play out a bit too long and fell behind.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
re: Updated iPad Mini this year?

I wouldn't be surprised. The last one came in late 2015 sos spec bump this year would seem to make sense. It already has a Retina display though, so not sure how much sharper you'd want?

Last edited:

ruger141

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
Re: Updated iPad Mini this year?

I wouldn't be surprised. The last one came in late 2015 sos spec bump this year would seem to make sense. It already has a Retina display though, so not sure how much sharper you'd want?

That's what I'm talking about, the "Retina Display" was a big selling feature of the iPad-years ago. But, they've been milking that cow for a while now. I know there's been other improvements like the bonded display in the iPad Mini 4 which has helped color reproduction but I'm most interested in seeing crisper displays. Also yes, without a doubt the Mini 4 screen looks lackluster to me. I'd love to see a much sharper one for games and videos to look stunning and text that's razor sharp.

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site

Hopefully Apple will come out with a sharper higher res model soon, something they used to promote as a selling feature. It feels like they've let that play out a bit too long and fell behind.

Motion To Keep The Resolution:

I think by just upgrading the actual panel being used, it will make the picture look a lot better. :D If we look at the new iPad (2017) and compare it to the iPad Pro 9.7. They have the same screen resolution but the picture quality is WAY different.
I think the current iPad resolutions are good enough. We have the iPad Mini with 326 ppi which is pretty high for a tablet. Even the Samsung Galaxy Tab S3 (264 PPI) or Surface Pro 4 (267) PPI. So it seems all tablets are very similar in screen resolution Also, by upgrading the resolution, battery life will suffer. :)

Motion To Upgrade The Resolution:

If we look at the current trend. We have MacBook Pros at 1440p, we have TVs at 4K, we have smartphones at 1440p, the iPad Pro has QHD+ so why not give a little more love the smaller variant iPads and make them all 1440p so we can enjoy our lovely UHD content that is becoming more popular. Apple love being ahead of the curve with their USB-C on MacBooks so why not screen resolution on iPads!

Harry Wild

May 25, 2013
Visit site

I all in if they finally get around to redesigning the iPad Mini but make it equal to the other iPads in terms of component instead of using 1 to 2 year old parts. Screen is only 720p. Make it at lease 1080p!

anony_mouse

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site

There's little point increasing the resolution of any "retina" device because you won't actually see any difference in normal use. It would be more useful to increase the brightness, contrast ratio, bit depth and/or colour range.

Resolution is only one factor in determining the quality of a display, and displays of the same resolution can vary considerably in quality. Just check out the poor quality of the highly reflective display on a new iPad 5 compared to the older iPad Air 2.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
I thought they were phasing out the iPad mini. Why not get the 9.7 pro if you're wanting a smaller iPad? I have Samsung S2 its that size approximately. I like my 12.9 iPad Pro and rarely use the S2 I have actually gone all in on the Apple train

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
I think it's a good size. I don't like 7 in tablets. Tried it before. I have thrown so much money down the drain buying on impulse and then not using. Selling and take a loss. Not doing that anymore. I have MacPro 2015 edition. Love it! And the 12.9 iPad Pro. Use both and no regrets. Along with my 7+
And Apple Watch. I am good now

anony_mouse

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
I think it's a good size. I don't like 7 in tablets. Tried it before. I have thrown so much money down the drain buying on impulse and then not using. Selling and take a loss. Not doing that anymore. I have MacPro 2015 edition. Love it! And the 12.9 iPad Pro. Use both and no regrets. Along with my 7+
And Apple Watch. I am good now

I'm very happy for you, but the 9.7 inch Pro is considerably larger and much much more expensive than the Mini, which is what he OP asked about. If s/he is willing to buy a larger device, the iPad 5 might be a better bet as it is slightly more sensibly priced.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR