New iPad Pro coming soon?

G.4

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I have a 9.7" iPad Pro, but I've been considering the larger version since it really is a computer for me. (I have a work PC, but at home and on the road I only use my iPad.) I checked out my carrier's site last night to see what the pricing is on the 12.9" model and they were "sold out" of every single color and size configuration. I've seen an article here and there about possible March release of a new 12.9" Pro. Maybe that's why? Coincidence? For those of you who already have one, is the larger size a plus or a burden? Thanks

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
I love the features of the iPad Pro in particular the multitasking, but I prefer the smaller 9.7 inch size. It's perfect for my needs. Having used 7 inch tablets too I can appreciate their value also, but 12.9 would be too big for me personally. :)

JT2050

Feb 11, 2016
Visit site
If you can use and will appreciate it, the larger size is good. It really depends on what you are doing with your iPad. I have used both and for drawing the 12.9 is a must. You always want more room to express your ideas. But for checking email etc., the 9.7 works great. The rumor is we are going to get a 10.9 in March. Basically a 9.7 with a screen to the edge on 3 sides. I have not heard anything about a new 12.9.

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site
I have a 9.7" iPad Pro, but I've been considering the larger version since it really is a computer for me.

I think if you are using it as your actual laptop replacement then the 12.9" is definitely worth it over the 9.7". The extra screen size is very welcomed. :) If you are using it as supplementary device to your laptop then the 9.7" is fine.

Regarding the new possible update
I've seen an article here and there about possible March release of a new 12.9" Pro. Maybe that's why?

After reading this article, they seem to think an update for all models is coming in March because the shipping times for iPads has increase from 1 - 2 week to now 2 - 3 weeks. This could just be a small supply backlog or it means updates are coming. If you are able to wait, i would wait till march and if nothing arrives then make a decision :D

G.4

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I think if you are using it as your actual laptop replacement then the 12.9" is definitely worth it over the 9.7". The extra screen size is very welcomed. :) If you are using it as supplementary device to your laptop then the 9.7" is fine.

Regarding the new possible update

After reading this article, they seem to think an update for all models is coming in March because the shipping times for iPads has increase from 1 - 2 week to now 2 - 3 weeks. This could just be a small supply backlog or it means updates are coming. If you are able to wait, i would wait till march and if nothing arrives then make a decision :D

Excellent points and thanks for the response! Fingers crossed for a new badass 12.9" Pro next month.

Abu Khadija

Oct 19, 2016
Visit site
I bought my 12.9" pro in the middle of December knowing almost full well that the new ones "MIGHT" be coming in March. I had the 9.7" pro and I use the big iPad even more than my 15" rMBP. Only chance of me buying the new one is if it either blows me away or has Xcode on it.

Abu Khadija

Oct 19, 2016
Visit site
March is gone and now it's the middle of May. Still no news on new ipad pros. Maybe in June at the WWDC event something might be said.

Updated: Finally fixed my mistake on June conference.

Last edited:

IvanKaramazov

Sep 13, 2015
Visit site
Seems increasingly likely we'll see, at a minimum, the long-rumored 10.5" iPad Pro in 2 weeks at WWDC. What I'm dying to know is if an update to the 12.9" model will accompany it. I've been waiting for a new 12.9" for months now, and I'll probably get the new model even if it's just a processor bump, but I'll admit to being disappointed if the larger model doesn't adopt the new, slimmer-bezelled design language of the rumored 10.5".

Surely Apple won't let their flagship iPad lag behind its smaller cousin in features for yet another generation...

italodance

Jun 13, 2016
Visit site
I bought the 12.9" in December, not sure if I'm ready for an upgrade yet. The new one has to wow me for me to consider it.

Me too 12.9" here, the only and important feature is Storage Size , i really have problem with low storage of my 256 and it is killing me every day because of removing old medias. i even don't get it why Apple's iPads are still up to 256 gb after many years and nothing changed specially while Apple wants to call it a laptop or laptop replacement / changer / challanger/ whatever.
It was the past whom peolpe use itunes on MAC only, 10 years ago? Now with iPad Pro and its big sizes (upcoming 10.5" and new 12.9") most peolpe would be encouraged to watch Medias on these big screens.

Apple TV is worse, force you to stream instead of downloading, with limited size of 64 GB.
So if the next iPad Pro has a storage size of 1 TB, I will grab it instantly.

Last edited:

Abu Khadija

Oct 19, 2016
Visit site
I TB might be too much in price for me. Mine is 128gb and I'm struggling with the storage. They didn't have a 256 when I bought mine so I got the 128. Bought a seagate external storage drive for my itunes movies and tv shows. Haven't looked yet to see if it will work with the big pro.

brian_84

Nov 22, 2016
Visit site
I TB might be too much in price for me. Mine is 128gb and I'm struggling with the storage. They didn't have a 256 when I bought mine so I got the 128. Bought a seagate external storage drive for my itunes movies and tv shows. Haven't looked yet to see if it will work with the big pro.

That is a problem if they're stored locally. Long live Netflix I say.

Abu Khadija

Oct 19, 2016
Visit site
I don't understand the first part but I'm paying $10 a month and hardly using it. It's mostly used on the road so I'm practically eating my data.

italodance

Jun 13, 2016
Visit site
Me too 12.9" here, the only and important feature is Storage Size , i really have problem with low storage of my 256 and it is killing me every day because of removing old medias. i even don't get it why Apple's iPads are still up to 256 gb after many years and nothing changed specially while Apple wants to call it a laptop or laptop replacement / changer / challanger/ whatever.
It was the past whom peolpe use itunes on MAC only, 10 years ago? Now with iPad Pro and its big sizes (upcoming 10.5" and new 12.9") most peolpe would be encouraged to watch Medias on these big screens.

Apple TV is worse, force you to stream instead of downloading, with limited size of 64 GB.
So if the next iPad Pro has a storage size of 1 TB, I will grab it instantly.

As i said i knew Apple wanted to release higher storage size, Now with 512 GB but still looking for 1 TB one so i suppose i will skip the second generation to grab the third next year.

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site
Excellent points and thanks for the response! Fingers crossed for a new badass 12.9" Pro next month.
Well it didn't come 'next month' but they have arrived now! :D New 10.5" and 12.9" iPads waiting to be purchased. 😃 Loving the 512gb storage option. Just when you thought having 256gb of storage on your iPhone was a lot. It's also nice that both models now have the same specs. The iPad Pro 12.9" was behind the 9.7" at one stage.

Abu Khadija

Oct 19, 2016
Visit site
Now the decision is 256 or 512 on the storage. It'll cost $10 more a month on att next for the 512 one. Have to see if I need that much storage. Only reason I'm considering the 512 is because I might be getting rid of my 15" rMBP. Since I got the first gen I2.9" it's just been sitting there, haven't really been using it.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Now the decision is 256 or 512 on the storage. It'll cost $10 more a month on att next for the 512 one. Have to see if I need that much storage. Only reason I'm considering the 512 is because I might be getting rid of my 15" rMBP. Since I got the first gen I2.9" it's just been sitting there, haven't really been using it.

How much storage have you used on your rMBP? If it’s not more than 256 GB, then you might want to consider saving the extra $10 a month.

Abu Khadija

Oct 19, 2016
Visit site
The rMBP has 512 on the storage. Its bootcamped with win 10, so the Mac side has about 100gb that is used, mostly iTunes content. The rest of my movies and tv shows are on the iPad. I have about 50 out of 128gb left on the iPad. So if I get rid of the MacBook than I'm going to probably have to put everything on the iPad since more than likely the seagate won't work with the iPad Pro.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh