Will future MacBook Pro's be reduced to a single port?

zynk

Feb 1, 2014
Visit site
With the new MacBook dropping all ports except one single USB-C, is there any word on whether or not Apple plans to do this with the MacBook Pro? I will not be happy if they do this on the MBP.

Derrick4Real

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
if i were to guess i'd say no but if i were betting i don't think it will have more than two or three. I personally hate it. I'm not big on the thinness thing. It's not important. i'd take ports. I like ports. In fact the lack of ports is the deciding factor of why i'll get an air. I don't need the latest tech and i'd rather not need to buy another dongle. Plus i already have usb peripherals that i intend to continue using. It would be less of an issue if i had tons of money to blow right now. Then i could spend hundreds on buying a new router and networking things but my printer is still wired, my external drives are all wired. And access to them is not negotiable for how i use my laptop. Especially with just 256 in storage. Maybe when i can upgrade all that stuff but for me that's a long way off and i have some other necessities (medical, and just life things i've put off) that that money needs to go to first so for me saving every little bit does count right now.

PortCity79

Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
I sure hope not. I don't know why Apple didn't put another one on the opposite side of the MacBook. At least two of those ports are needed.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
With the new MacBook dropping all ports except one single USB-C, is there any word on whether or not Apple plans to do this with the MacBook Pro?
There is no known "official" word from Apple in regard to your question.
I will not be happy if they do this on the MBP.
I'm sure a lot of other people would share your disdain if that were to happen....:)

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Your guess is as good as mine...but I highly doubt it. The MBP's were always supposed to be mobile work horses, so I'm pretty certain they'll still get USB and thunderbolt ports.

mikeo007

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Wouldn't make any sense to remove them. The new 12" Macbook doesn't have any room for additional ports. The Pro line has lots of room. Removing them would leave a lot of wasted space, for almost no benefit.

Algus

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
My guess is that Apple will always build a professional computer that will have the connections necessary to interface with external devices that professionals might need. If that means we're still using devices with different ports, I imagine we'll still have various USB connectors and card readers. If that means everything is done wirelessly, we'll probably have fewer access ports.

I wouldn't count on the Pro being reduced to a single-port device anytime soon though.

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
I sure hope not. If Apple keeps ports on only one laptop, it had better be the Pro. I would not like to have 1 port, and the lack of ports on the MacBook is the main reason I wouldn't get one. Pro for me.

Lorenzo Franchitti

May 10, 2015
Visit site
I think the Pro will definitely keep most if not all of its ports, if Apple reduced all laptops to one port, and didn't give anybody any choice, nobody would buy them at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ell Tee

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site
I was using a new Macbook "Air" with only 1 single port, and honestly, it makes me feel that I'm using a iPad than a Macbook. After 1 month trying to fit myself with that new device, I decided to give up using it and get back to my 2 years old Macbook Air, I have my life back.

So, I really hope that MBP don't go this way, and that there're no even one single reason of MBP to have 1 single port like this.

Kindanddime

Mar 19, 2016
Visit site
I'd say it's not an impossibility, but it will likely take a few years. This is all complete speculation but it seems like they see ports becoming less and less necessary.

ar-7

Jul 10, 2015
Visit site
I think that the ports will be dropped from the Pro line of Macbooks but it will take some time.

I compare it to when Apple originally introduced the Macbook Air. I think that was 2008-2009. It took them another 3-4 years before the Pro line adopted the design language of the Air if I remember correctly. I think that will be the case in this situation too.

maflynn

Feb 4, 2015
Visit site
I hope not.

I can see philosophy wise, the MacBook having a single port, but as a "pro" machine you need multiple ports. Just my $.02

May 24, 2016
Visit site
Depends how far in the future we're talking. Regardless, Apple know what they're doing and like every great company knows what the consumer wants even before they know themselves. I've maintained for a long time that local hard drives will one day be a thing of the past, too, never mind ports. Time will tell, I suppose.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
With the new MacBook dropping all ports except one single USB-C, is there any word on whether or not Apple plans to do this with the MacBook Pro? I will not be happy if they do this on the MBP.

I don't think so. I think the pro will be aimed at the power users, whereas the macbook will remain all about portability.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner