Apple changes Crimea map to meet Russian demands

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Ok.
Not everyone has the same opportunities or ability to break through barriers. In other words, it’s not about being lazy.

Who mentioned anything about being lazy? As for barriers, they will always exist. In addition, there will always be separation because everything must be in balance. If there’s wealth, there must also be poverty. If there’s right, there must also be a left.

Since not everyone will have the same talents, skills, mental capacity or eagerness to succeed, how can there be true equality unless you make the masses poor and punish those who exhibits greater intelligence and an eagerness to succeed?
Even when that occurs, wouldn’t those who caused all of that be separate from everyone else?

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
Who mentioned anything about being lazy? As for barriers, they will always exist. In addition, there will always be separation because everything must be in balance. If there’s wealth, there must also be poverty. If there’s right, there must also be a left.

Since not everyone will have the same talents, skills, mental capacity or eagerness to succeed, how can there be true equality unless you make the masses poor and punish those who exhibits greater intelligence and an eagerness to succeed?
Even when that occurs, wouldn’t those who caused all of that be separate from everyone else?

The topic of this thread has been turned into a personal argument about individual feelings about their personal situations. No one thinks all people should be “equal”, what some have proposed is when people are persecuted perhaps those of us in a better situation should stand up for them. Racism is real. Persecution is real. Saying all you have to do is assimilate and work hard is (I did it so why can’t “those people”) an egocentric viewpoint.
I will not speak or answer any more posts on this rabbit hole subject.

Now, back to the topic if everyone is able. It’s about Crimea and how Apple caved to the Russian government. The U.S. (where Apple is based) and the EU do not recognize Crimea as part of Russia. On the other hand, Crimea has mostly been part of Russia throughout history and most of its population speaks Russian. Im not sure what the right thing to do is but it appears Apple may be reviewing their decision based on the lash back they have received.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
The topic of this thread has been turned into a personal argument about individual feelings about their personal situations. No one thinks all people should be “equal”, what some have proposed is when people are persecuted perhaps those of us in a better situation should stand up for them. Racism is real. Persecution is real. Saying all you have to do is assimilate and work hard is (I did it so why can’t “those people”) an egocentric viewpoint.

Now, back to the topic if everyone is able. It’s about Crimea and how Apple caved to the Russian government. The U.S. (where Apple is based) and the EU do not recognize Crimea as part of Russia. On the other hand, Crimea has mostly been part of Russia throughout history and most of its population speaks Russian. Im not sure what the right thing to do is but it appears Apple may be reviewing their decision based on the lash back they have received.

Fair enough....

Chuck Finley69

Trusted Member
Mar 20, 2017
Visit site

TgeekB - I hope you’re not taking any of this personally as you know that’s not intent. We can be on topic but topic itself as you’ve easily admitted is gray. Problem is everyone goes for the extreme left or extreme right, the black and white instead of the shades of gray or the various colors of life.

Why should Apple be questioned or forced to pick sides? The very American elitism comes from American exceptionalism. As I’ve been told repeatedly in my life, it’s a fine line between arrogance or confidence, helping or enabling.

That said - Russia is doing the same thing which the USA does as well, expecting countries within it’s borders to respect it’s laws. Since globalism is supposedly opposed by supposed protectionists, how do ties of USA-Russia collusion-wise fit narrative of USA not recognizing the annexation. How would boycotting Apple products help this? Aren’t we a nation that support freedom of choice, respecting laws and other nations rights of freedom and sovereignty?

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
Why should Apple be questioned or forced to pick sides? The very American elitism comes from American exceptionalism. As I’ve been told repeatedly in my life, it’s a fine line between arrogance or confidence, helping or enabling.

That said - Russia is doing the same thing which the USA does as well, expecting countries within it’s borders to respect it’s laws. Since globalism is supposedly opposed by supposed protectionists, how do ties of USA-Russia collusion-wise fit narrative of USA not recognizing the annexation. How would boycotting Apple products help this? Aren’t we a nation that support freedom of choice, respecting laws and other nations rights of freedom and sovereignty?

I hope you’re not comparing Russia and the U.S. in how they support “freedom of choice, respecting laws and rights of freedom and sovereignty”. I certainly do not think the U.S. is a poster child but I’m sure you wouldn’t want to live under Russian rule (forgive me if I’m wrong).

As far as what Apple does, especially since the current CEO has taken over, I don’t expect anything but what’s best for the company. I will reserve judgment until a final decision/statement is made.

Chuck Finley69

Trusted Member
Mar 20, 2017
Visit site
I hope you’re not comparing Russia and the U.S. in how they support “freedom of choice, respecting laws and rights of freedom and sovereignty”. I certainly do not think the U.S. is a poster child but I’m sure you wouldn’t want to live under Russian rule (forgive me if I’m wrong).

As far as what Apple does, especially since the current CEO has taken over, I don’t expect anything but what’s best for the company. I will reserve judgment until a final decision/statement is made.

Steve Jobs wasn’t different. Just a far better PT Barnum salesman of vision getting people to believe a dream like Elon Musk or Trump himself. Like Obama before him, charismatic faith combined with individual charisma is powerful as the saying there’s a sucker born every minute. Bill Gates and the Google founders are similar internally with their initial development time but not as extroverted as needed.

Golurk

May 20, 2019
Visit site
In the US, Apple refuses to comply with the FBI with a murder investigation citing privacy issues. In Russia, it changed the map to incorrectly call Crimea as part of Russia. When it comes to China, it removes an app being used by both bystanders and rioters to avoid and/or attack police officers.

For most companies business and money comes before values.

Also: It’s important to let people have their own opinions...it’s a cornerstone of freedom and democracy. Don’t claim that you know the interests and needs of others better then they do...it just makes you look condescending as heck. If you can’t tolerate or respect opinions differing from yours and respond with aggression, you are in the wrong and have lost the argument, plain and simple.

Last edited:

Yakov38M

Jan 30, 2020
Visit site
Well, why would it be incorrect to show Crimea as part of Russia? No matter what you think or want to see, it is the reality. Can Ukrainian mobile providers offer coverage in Crimea? Do you need an Ukrainian visa to go there? If you go there, you'll use the Russian mobile network, and you'll need for a Russian visa, not an Ukrainian one. So, de facto, it's Russia. You can be against it, it's your right and you have solid reasons to have this opinion, but reality doesn't agree, and unless you go Rambo and single-handedly and forcibly remove all Russian presence in Crimea and give it back to Ukraine, it will not change.

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
Good Grief ! emotions and things showing on iMore forums, I didn’t think it was allowed.
But at least it was not an advertisement.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods