Locking comments on "political" stories

napman

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
Recently I've noticed this site, and others, seems to lock comments on many stories that could be considered "political". For example yesterday's story about Tim Cook meeting with President Trump to discuss China tariffs.

This is pretty telling considering that similar stories when Obama was in office allowed comments.

It seems to indicate that one side can't be trusted to be civil and this makes me sad. I know this is a tech site but even so, open discussion is really important.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I hadn’t noticed the thread you’re referring to, but if it was locked without it containing any derogatory or berating comments then it shouldn’t have been.

Still we understand that far too many participating members have extra-thin skin when it comes to political viewpoints. Emotions take over, followed by the name calling and bitterness. It’s sad really, but it is what it is.

Evilguppy

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site

Lol. I learned this a while ago, this place is the worst when it comes to discussing politics, it’s all completely one sided. However, political discussions are where people really show their true colors so I read the political page here voraciously: it shows me which people I will never respect so that I may block them preemptively and never have to deal with their posts anywhere on this forum. I love the convenience

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: Locking comments on "political" stories

Lol. I learned this a while ago, this place is the worst when it comes to discussing politics, it’s all completely one sided. However, political discussions are where people really show their true colors so I read the political page here voraciously: it shows me which people I will never respect so that I may block them preemptively and never have to deal with their posts anywhere on this forum. I love the convenience

No, political discussions here at iMore is NOT completely one-sided. If that were true there wouldn’t be any opposing or alternative views, but clearly there are.

Associating those who express their views with “showing their true colors” is baffling to me. It’s utterly amazing how someone can truly be a wonderful person whose actions over the years backs that up, and yet, expressing support for someone or some thing that you’re in opposition of causes you to ignore everything else about the person and conclude that he or she is unworthy of your respect to the point of you never wanting to associate with him or her again. That’s crazy!

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site

No, political discussions here at iMore is NOT completely one-sided. If that were true there wouldn’t be any opposing or alternative views, but clearly there are.

Associating those who express their views with “showing their true colors” is baffling to me. It’s utterly amazing how someone can truly be a wonderful person whose actions over the years backs that up, and yet, expressing support for someone or some thing that you’re in opposition of causes you to ignore everything else about the person and conclude that he or she is unworthy of your respect to the point of you never wanting to associate with him or her again. That’s crazy!

Eh...it depends on what the situation is. I've known someone over the years who I believed to be an amazing person...then when they learned their child was homosexual they denounced their child and never spoke to them again. That person, in my opinion, isn't worthy of my respect. The expression of their "views" amounted to their belief that a person who is gay isn't worthy of their love (even though that person is their child).

So I get what you're saying...but at the end of the day...certain views can honestly turn me off from a person entirely depending on what they are. Doesn't matter how great of a person I thought they were initially.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

Eh...it depends on what the situation is. I've known someone over the years who I believed to be an amazing person...then when they learned their child was homosexual they denounced their child and never spoke to them again. That person, in my opinion, isn't worthy of my respect. The expression of their "views" amounted to their belief that a person who is gay isn't worthy of their love (even though that person is their child).

So I get what you're saying...but at the end of the day...certain views can honestly turn me off from a person entirely depending on what they are. Doesn't matter how great of a person I thought they were initially.

I can easily understand that, but my focus in this thread is specific to politics and having a different viewpoint / different ideology and hating a person for it. Sorry if I wasn’t clear.

Last edited:

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site

I can easily understand that, but my focus in this thread is specific to politics and having a different viewpoint / different ideology and hating a person for it. Sorry if I wasn’t clear.

Not having respect for a person and hating that person are two different things. Don't know why those two things are being correlated here. There are plenty of people I don't respect but I don't hate them. I just don't care for them.

I'm assuming you're speaking specifically about people here on the iMore Forums. Just because a person has given some good advice on Apple products here doesn't necessarily make that person "wonderful." How can anyone be sure of that here? I don't care how long you've been here. Seems to me like you're making wild assumptions.

Don't be surprised if people shun you when you yourself bring up politics in threads that have absolutely no reason to have politics brought up in those very threads in the first place. Perhaps people won't have any respect for you because of things like that. Or when you yourself conveniently accuse people who disagree with you with having "hatred" but those who agree with you and actually present hatred and vitriol are conveniently skimmed over because you were "chatting on iMessage" and didn't see.

https://forums.imore.com/showthread.php?t=383761&p=2923766&viewfull=1#post2923766

The example in the link I provide below makes it look like you just want to spew something for the sake of spewing it. Talk about "crazy"

https://forums.imore.com/imore-com-news-discussion/401065-delete-your-facebook.html#post3051248

All in all, I find your motives very transparent. Over the last year I've learned how to monetize and profit off of people such as yourself. Your transparency just makes it easy.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR