You mean it wasn't the Russians?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Lol...well I give up.

Do not give up, Quis. You are a heckuva a debater and I enjoy ours. Some things we'll never see eye to eye on, but I don't take any of it personally and I don't think ill of you or anyone else I disagree with on occasions. I'm too old for that. This is simply fun for me...

duckduckgoose

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
Can someone explain to me what you see in Trump that I seem to be missing? What has he done in his first 100 days that make you think he has been good for the country? I want a good discussion that doesn't devolve into name calling and hateful rhetoric. Anyone?

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Can someone explain to me what you see in Trump that I seem to be missing? What has he done in his first 100 days that make you think he has been good for the country? I want a good discussion that doesn't devolve into name calling and hateful rhetoric. Anyone?

He's pulled the government out of a handful of things which can be good or bad depending on which side of the fence you're on. For example, executive orders have rolled back federal regulations on environmental protections, rolled back some federal presence and accountability measures in schools.

He's signed a few orders to encourage women in STEM fields which is cool. He's also moved HBCUs under white house oversight rather than Dept. of Ed oversight. What that means moving forward is unclear to me though. (Though on an unrelated note...let's imagine for a second that Obama, a black man, moved Historically Black Colleges to white house oversight. Separate from other institutions. I can only imagine the outcry here. I have NO issues with the move...I just have no doubts in my mind that people would yell if Obama had done that because everyone is so sensitive over race stuff these days lol)

He's allowed the pipelines to continue. (Again, this is either a good or bad depending on which side of the fence you're on)

He established the President's Commission Combating Drug Addiction and the Opioid Crisis, which I think is awesome. Hopefully it produces results.

If you disliked Obama, you probably love what he's doing because he really is rolling back A LOT of Obama era initiatives. He's signed A LOT of executive orders. Not much has transformed into action or change.

duckduckgoose

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
He's pulled the government out of a handful of things which can be good or bad depending on which side of the fence you're on. For example, executive orders have rolled back federal regulations on environmental protections, rolled back some federal presence and accountability measures in schools.

He's signed a few orders to encourage women in STEM fields which is cool. He's also moved HBCUs under white house oversight rather than Dept. of Ed oversight. What that means moving forward is unclear to me though. (Though on an unrelated note...let's imagine for a second that Obama, a black man, moved Historically Black Colleges to white house oversight. Separate from other institutions. I can only imagine the outcry here. I have NO issues with the move...I just have no doubts in my mind that people would yell if Obama had done that because everyone is so sensitive over race stuff these days lol)

He's allowed the pipelines to continue. (Again, this is either a good or bad depending on which side of the fence you're on)

He established the President's Commission Combating Drug Addiction and the Opioid Crisis, which I think is awesome. Hopefully it produces results.

If you disliked Obama, you probably love what he's doing because he really is rolling back A LOT of Obama era initiatives. He's signed A LOT of executive orders. Not much has transformed into action or change.

So rolling back environmental protection is the first thing on the list. I'm old enough to remember the air over most large American cities with a unhealthy haze. Or rivers running through Cleveland and Portland that caught fire being so fouled by pollution. Let alone the thought of swimming in them. I really don't want to see that happening again, and rolling back environmental laws that oversee that isn't helpful in my eyes.
Trump has been video'd during Obama's tenure saying that executive orders were used by presidents that couldn't get anything done any other way. It was a veiled way of saying Obama led by decree instead of building consensus. Kind of like a dictator. 30 executive orders in his first 100 days, with both houses of congress being republican held. That's pretty hypocritical in my mind and makes him look pretty stupid.
So you list two things that I can get behind. Combatting drugs and encouraging women to get into the sciences are both worthy goals.
What are your feelings about the pipelines going forward again? What are your thoughts on repealing the ACA and replacing it with Trumpcare? Even though both iterations have both been roundly rejected by the American Medical Association, AARP and other healthcare and senior organizations? No thoughts on the wall? Rounding up legal and law abiding aliens that raise and pick our food? Muslim bans? Draining the swamp?

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
So rolling back environmental protection is the first thing on the list. I'm old enough to remember the air over most large American cities with a unhealthy haze. Or rivers running through Cleveland and Portland that caught fire being so fouled by pollution. Let alone the thought of swimming in them. I really don't want to see that happening again, and rolling back environmental laws that oversee that isn't helpful in my eyes.

I fully agree with you. I think the thought here is that he wants to pull the government out of as many things as possible to cut government spending. I personally think those protections are necessary.

Trump has been video'd during Obama's tenure saying that executive orders were used by presidents that couldn't get anything done any other way. It was a veiled way of saying Obama led by decree instead of building consensus. Kind of like a dictator. 30 executive orders in his first 100 days, with both houses of congress being republican held. That's pretty hypocritical in my mind and makes him look pretty stupid.

Again, I agree with you. I could probably go all day with a running list of his hypocrisy. You'll find that many of his supporters simply don't care though. You could point it out, sure. But the response will be "But what about Obama?", Or "But Hillary!". Obama was blasted for his use of executive orders. But now it's acceptable. I shrug my shoulders and drink my tea these days lol.

So you list two things that I can get behind. Combatting drugs and encouraging women to get into the sciences are both worthy goals.

I like these two things. But like I said, as of now they appear to be just orders. I'm look forward to seeing what action and progress comes from them.

What are your feelings about the pipelines going forward again? What are your thoughts on repealing the ACA and replacing it with Trumpcare? Even though both iterations have both been roundly rejected by the American Medical Association, AARP and other healthcare and senior organizations? No thoughts on the wall? Rounding up legal and law abiding aliens that raise and pick our food? Muslim bans? Draining the swamp?

Pipelines- I'm not a fan of imposing on Native land for profit. I read an interesting article about the original path for the pipelines. They were initially set to go in a different path but the residents (non-Native Americans) complained so they re-routed it. Interesting stuff. I understand the financial reasons and the cost reasons. But all it takes is one issue and the water supply for many is at risk. On the other side of the coin, Trump is big on American jobs. And this project potentially creates thousands. The issue here is these jobs aren't permanent. So risking others for profit and temporary employment, to me, isn't ideal.

ACA/Trumpcare- I think we all know the ACA isn't perfect. There are some problems. I'm not a fan of repeal and replace. I'd much rather see them come together and fix what's broken. On the plus side, the ACA has increased our insured numbers by over 20 million, I believe. That's incredible. There have been MANY success stories. It has done great things. But it has also made things harder on insurance companies causing costs to increase for insured individuals. Let's FIX that. Focus on fixing. Not repealing and replacing.

The Wall- It's stupid. Period. Peoples irrational fears are the reason he's proposing such an insanely expensive security blanket. And if Mexico DOESN'T pay for it...it will probably be one of his greatest failures.

Rounding up legal and law abiding aliens- It's wrong. I'm all for exercising the law on those here illegally. And for those who are contributing to society, possibly creating a path to citizenship. But for those here illegally and violating laws and putting people at danger...they should be sent back or prosecuted.

Muslim Ban- I don't believe in a Muslim ban. I don't fear Muslim individuals. I believe that the majority are amazing individuals and they come here for the same reason we are all here. To live a great life. It is against the fabric of this country to ban anyone for religious reasons. That said...Trump didn't ban Muslims. The actual ban prohibited individuals from countries with a large muslim population. But it wasn't a muslim ban. There is an important distinction to be made here. NOW...we all know what his intentions were. And there have been reports that he wanted a muslim ban but knew it had to be worded in a way that it couldn't be CALLED a muslim ban. Fighting terrorism can be ugly. We aren't all going to agree with HOW. But we have to consider how we look as a country as we proceed in this fight.

Draining the swamp- *At the top of my lungs* LOL!!! What a load of b.s. Is THAT what he thought he was doing?! Ok...sure...he may have drained it...but he brought all the crocodiles with him into the white house. If that wasn't one of the key lies of his campaign I don't know what is. But of course...his supporters continue to not care lol.

You'll notice many of the things you mentioned were absent from my post were absent intentionally. You asked for what "good" he's done. I don't find those things to be particularly "good".

duckduckgoose

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the response. I think we agree on a majority of topics, although I don't think the pipeline will create that many permanent jobs. I was hoping for an differing opinion from mine but thanks for your input! Any fans of 45 out there with their thoughts?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR