How long before 'free speech' is totally banned in America?

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
As long as they refrain from verbally explaining the reason for refusal, they're good, but it's also a catch-22 because society, in general, will demand an explanation, and once that explanation is given, especially in regard to homosexuality, the business is screwed, in my opinion.

It's not your opinion my friend...recent events have shown that this is very much the reality for everyone.

Haalcyon

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
So you think it wouldn't do to have a sign that said "We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone without explanation. Request for service signifies knowledge and acceptance of this premise."

Last edited:

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
So you it wouldn't do to have a sign that said "We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone without explanation. Request for service signifies knowledge and acceptance of this premise."

Even if there were to be totally legal, the business would still suffer if the media or some intolerant activist got wind that the people who were refused service was gay.

kilofoxtrot

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
As long as they refrain from verbally explaining the reason for refusal, they're good, but it's also a catch-22 because society, in general, will demand an explanation, and once that explanation is given, especially in regard to homosexuality, the business is screwed, in my opinion.

Not sure about that.... if a business routinely denies service to a class (age, race, gender, sexual preference etc etc) and never state why. They are still on the hook. Their actions, past and present, make them suspect and litigation would be easy to prove.

Pretty sure wait staff ignored black customers sitting at the lunch counter in the 60's...... that lets the restaurant off the hook for discrimination because they never verbally told the black customers they don't served "colored"?

I don't think so.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
The attack on free speech has been under way here in the U.S. for quite some time now, but as of late, it's gotten even more ridiculous. It has gotten so bad to where a disagreeing reply is considered harassment or bullying and we've noticed this trend here at iMore on occasion. There is no understanding without some form of communication, but if we can't say anything for fear of offending then how will we ever be able to understand anyone? Anyway, how long before free speech is banned in America, if ever, in your opinion?

Never.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Not sure about that.... if a business routinely denies service to a class (age, race, gender, sexual preference etc etc) and never state why. They are still on the hook. Their actions, past and present, make them suspect and litigation would be easy to prove.
Yes, if it could be proven that they intentionally targeted a particular class.

Pretty sure wait staff ignored black customers sitting at the lunch counter in the 60's...... that lets the restaurant off the hook for discrimination because they never verbally told the black customers they don't served "colored"?

I don't think so.

I was there and experienced some of this as a kid, but the difference is this. We all knew where we were welcomed and where we were not. Signs were also clearly visible. Gays are not battling equal rights because they already have them. What is at stake is an acceptance that sexual / committing relationships with someone of the same sex is the norm when it is not, and anyone who disagrees is deemed bigoted, insensitive, intolerant, and should be punished until they accept it as the norm. Will some people get ticked at what I just wrote? I'm sure some will, but if they've been here a decent amount of time, they would know that I did not write this with malicious intent. I just call it like I see it. Anyway, I've got to prepare my iMore weekly update and then go to work. Take care and have a great weekend.

Last edited:

kilofoxtrot

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Gays are not battling equal rights because they already have them.

I will have a great weekend... thanks, you too.

Having equal rights is like getting a check from someone.... its only good if you can cash it for what its worth, if you can't, then its only a piece of paper.

If the bakers told the gay couple that they were against gay marriage, disagreed with gay marriage (and a hundred other different ways) and made them a cake anyway...... this point of discussion would not exist IMO)...

Something was different. They verbally incriminated themselves for the actions (or lack of thereof in this case) that followed.

It wasn't what they said that got them in trouble..... its what they did that got them in trouble.

Its my opinion of the hard facts of the case.... not the morality of it in the court of public opinion.

Haalcyon

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
I don't think gays are disillusioned enough to think their lifestyle is what most would call "normal". They just want the same rights and to be treated like everyone else. That is going to take more than the few decades it's been in the public eye IMO, but we shall see. We have millennia of wiring that needs to be overcome.

Haalcyon

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site

I think there is a lot of truth in what he's said. It takes a lot of work and discipline to stay fit as you get older and a lot of folks haven't found that dedication yet. Most people are not overweight because of glandular problems or other physiological reasons. Most people are overweight because of poor eating and fitness choices. I don't think bullying folks is the way to change but poor fitness is serious epidemic (especially in the U.S.) and if bullying helps curb the epidemic of obesity by motivating some to makes better choices than it is what it is.

I know I'm not in the shape I should be in and if bullying motivated me to make a serious change that was going to make me more healthy overall I'd be thankful when all was said and done. Now, where's my bag of Cheetos?

PortCity79

Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
Yes, if it could be proven that they intentionally targeted a particular class.

I was there and experienced some of this as a kid, but the difference is this. We all knew where we were welcomed and where we were not. Signs were also clearly visible. Gays are not battling equal rights because they already have them. What is at stake is an acceptance that sexual / committing relationships with someone of the same sex is the norm when it is not, and anyone who disagrees is deemed bigoted, insensitive, intolerant, and should be punished until they accept it as the norm. Will some people get ticked at what I just wrote? I'm sure some will, but if they've been here a decent amount of time, they would know that I did not write this with malicious intent. I just call it like I see it. Anyway, I've got to prepare my iMore weekly update and then go to work. Take care and have a great weekend.

I agree with you 100 percent.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nijolcreative