Net neutrality takes a major leap today!

Status
Not open for further replies.

grover5

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
This is what most people I know are dealing with! What's good about this?
View attachment 78023

Sent from my ancient iPhone 5 (no longer trustworthy)

I'm getting mixed signals from the brass on here. Is this open for discussion in this thread or not. You're free to offer random quotes from individuals while I post national statistics. I think we both know which is more revealing especially considering over 10 million people who didn't have insurance now do. What state is your example from led, assuming this is allowable to discuss.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I said I'd stay on topic so I'll only address the net neutrality ruling. What didn't you like about the internet over the last 10 years that you feel this ruling changes?
Comparing two over-reaches of the federal government intruding upon freedom... Net Neutraility is an intrusion onto our liberty. as is the "affordable" care act...

grover5

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Comparing two over-reaches of the federal government intruding upon freedom... Net Neutraility is an intrusion onto our liberty. as is the "affordable" care act...

Ok, let's discuss that. How does the news today impact your internet experience over the last 10 years in your opinion. I'm asking for specifics on that if you don't mind. I'm also curious if you consider all regulation to be bad. Did you think ma bell should have been broken up for instance?

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Ok, let's discuss that. How does the news today impact your internet experience over the last 10 years in your opinion. I'm asking for specifics on that if you don't mind. I'm also curious if you consider all regulation to be bad. Did you think ma bell should have been broken up for instance?
The FCC's rules have yet to be made public... We'll see in the coming days...they had to pass it so we the people could see what's in it...

grover5

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
The FCC's rules have yet to be made public... We'll see in the coming days...they had to pass it so we the people could see what's in it...

It will be longer than that. The corporations have appealed and it cannot be made public until all appeals are dealt with. I'm just curious why your initial reaction is so negative. The one thing we do know is that the internet companies can't decide what speed websites are allowed to have but must continue to treat all sites equally. That has been the internet since its inception. Why is that bad?

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Any time government gets bigger is never better...and costs more.

The government that governs least governs best.

grover5

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Any time government gets bigger is never better...and costs more.

The government that governs least governs best.

Thanks for opening it up again. I understand that ideology although I don't follow it personally. But that being said, this doesn't increase government in any way much like not allowing monopolies doesn't increase government.

grover5

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Ok. I'll leave this as an open question for those who are bothered by net neutrality. What about keeping the internet the same as it has been since inception is bad? What worries you about that? How is allowing corporations who profit from the change and allowing them to choose what sites can be viewed with normal speeds and what sites can't a good thing? Do those who are against this feel breaking up ma bell was bad or good? Thanks.

Posted via the iMore App for Android

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Ok. I'll leave this as an open question for those who are bothered by net neutrality. What about keeping the internet the same as it has been since inception is bad? What worries you about that? How is allowing corporations who profit from the change and allowing them to choose what sites can be viewed with normal speeds and what sites can't a good thing? Do those who are against this feel breaking up ma bell was bad or good? Thanks.

I don't think it's a problem with how the internet will remain with this move...it is the invitation to the government to get involved in something that should have been handled with consumer actions. Now I understand that it was a little different, and that the lack of options to the consumer (for now) was something that was very much a charging point for the government intervention...but where does that stop? If there's something we've seen in the past, it's when you give them an inch, they take 1,000 miles.

grover5

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
I don't think it's a problem with how the internet will remain with this move...it is the invitation to the government to get involved in something that should have been handled with consumer actions. Now I understand that it was a little different, and that the lack of options to the consumer (for now) was something that was very much a charging point for the government intervention...but where does that stop? If there's something we've seen in the past, it's when you give them an inch, they take 1,000 miles.

I can agree to the apprehension but I view this more along the lines of reasonable regulation. I agree there is unreasonable regulation as well. But this does not seem like that to me. Beside mistrust in government motives do you see anything else nefarious about this?

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I can agree to the apprehension but I view this more along the lines of reasonable regulation. I agree there is unreasonable regulation as well. But this does not seem like that to me. Beside mistrust in government motives do you see anything else nefarious about this?

Outside of government motive, not really...but asking me that removes a very VERY large reasoning for my caution when it comes to this situation. Kind of like asking someone "Besides the fact that you don't like to eat tacos, why don't you want to eat tacos?"

grover5

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Outside of government motive, not really...but asking me that removes a very VERY large reasoning for my caution when it comes to this situation. Kind of like asking someone "Besides the fact that you don't like to eat tacos, why don't you want to eat tacos?"

That's funny. Yeah I get what you're saying. I think I have the same reaction to corporate interest. I do think this isn't an example of overreaching. Verizon and Comcast and the other characters flooded money to many congress men and women trying to stop this. I feel good that for a change our government might have actually represented us and not those with the most cash. But I fully intend to continue to follow it and not just assume.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh