Today the GOP Take Control of Congress

Status
Not open for further replies.

A895

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Human activity can't make a meaningful difference... If it could, it would have happened by now, and none of us would be here.

That isn't true and you know. Changes to climate happen over time and especially meaningful impact such as humans. The main reason for the big climate change debate is so future generations won't be dealing with a rising sea level, and worst atmosphere where they wear masks when they go outside similar to what they already do NOW in some parts of China.

Posted via the iMore App for Android

A895

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Teenagers have almost ZERO real life experience outside of some real world flirtation. Now sure, there are a lot of adults of all ages that have been protected in a bubble and have very little actual real world experience, but ALL teenagers fall into this category, and that is where the line must be drawn. You could have a seriously tough up bringing as a child and teenager, but the real world will still kick you right in the teeth if you run out into it like you're prepared.

That would be if you haven't already experienced real life already. You are assuming teenagers (all of them) are sheltered beings, which us wrong. A lot of them have real life experience.

A895

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Have humans effected the climate by being here? Absolutely...but so does cow sh*t, volcanos, methane gas pockets in the ocean and about a million other things. At the end of the day, we can certainly hold ourselves responsible for controlling and limiting the things that COULD effect the earth negatively, but there's also a point where you have to accept that natural occurrences have and still will cause damage to the earth (as we consider "damage") that we can't do anything about...and if you invest into the scare tactics used to get you to buy into the story of how humans are destroying the planet...well, I don't think you're giving yourself a fair chance to really look at the totality of the problem.

Should we do more to decrease our foot print? Absolutely...but we should do that anyways, even if nothing was evident in the earths day to day functions that someone can attribute to human activity.

There is also a point where anything we do now can and will affect the planet in some way. Does anyone else remember we have a finite amount of oil and soon we will run out? Give it another 40-50 years.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
That would be if you haven't already experienced real life already. You are assuming teenagers (all of them) are sheltered beings, which us wrong. A lot of them have real life experience.

I never said they had never tasted the real world...I said teenagers are not experienced in the real world, regardless of their upbringing...they CAN'T be, there are so many legal things that teenagers are shielded from ALONE that makes a teenagers argument to having real world experience laughable. I never said anything about teenagers all being completely sheltered, but ALL of them are sheltered in some way, shape or form...there is ZERO argument you can make against that.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
There is also a point where anything we do now can and will affect the planet in some way. Does anyone else remember we have a finite amount of oil and soon we will run out? Give it another 40-50 years.

lol...you realize that a cow sitting in a pasture eating grass also has a major effect on the environment, right?

It's a matter of understanding the realistic levels of effect we have. If you buy into what you're fed in the media, you'll be running around doomsday prepping, lol!

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
In 2009, Al Gore was bleating how the arctic wold be ice free in 5 years... How'd that turn out?

A895

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
I never said they had never tasted the real world...I said teenagers are not experienced in the real world, regardless of their upbringing...they CAN'T be, there are so many legal things that teenagers are shielded from ALONE that makes a teenagers argument to having real world experience laughable. I never said anything about teenagers all being completely sheltered, but ALL of them are sheltered in some way, shape or form...there is ZERO argument you can make against that.

Actually there is. What real world experience are you actually quantifying as real world?

A895

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
lol...you realize that a cow sitting in a pasture eating grass also has a major effect on the environment, right?

It's a matter of understanding the realistic levels of effect we have. If you buy into what you're fed in the media, you'll be running around doomsday prepping, lol!

Its also being realistic about the effects we can have on the planet until it is too late. Doing something now so people in the future won't be having a world crisis.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Actually there is. What real world experience are you actually quantifying as real world?

No...there is not. There's a reason why there are so many legalities and regulations that prevent teenagers from entering into legally binding contracts and such until they are 18, and then even more until they are 21. It's because a teenager, by and large, cannot make an educated decision on something given their complete lack of real world experience. You can argue it all day long, but the truth is the truth...just because you have a tough upbringing, and you taste the real world, doesn't change the fact that as a teenager, you're still considered a child...and because of this, are shielded from many of the things adults have to face on a daily basis.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Its also being realistic about the effects we can have on the planet until it is too late. Doing something now so people in the future won't be having a world crisis.

"Until it is too late"...in what way do you define that point in todays world? In the same way a person wants to blame pollution caused by man on the major climate shifts, other reputable and researched theories say that it's all cyclical, and that our footprint on this planet is rather insignificant in the scheme of things.

At the end of the day...I'm not arguing whether we should do our part to lessen our footprint if we can. This should be done whether the planet is in absolute turmoil or in perfect "health" (for lack of better term). People can sensationalize topics all they want, doesn't mean they "know" anything is particularly the cause of what we see in the environment today...but if their research and shouting to the heavens pushes for further advancements in the field to help mankind, I've got no problem with that...what I do have a problem with though is people who want to tell me that "x" causes "y"...when that knowledge is truly unknown.

Like telling me that life exists on another planet...man do I hope it does, but there's zero evidence towards it. We just continue to search in the hope there is...just like we should continue to try and lessen our footprint in the hope it has a major change (for the better) on the environment.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
That has nothing to with what I said.
You made an appeal to authority by saying scientists claim oil will run out in a number of years... And I retorted with an example of another popular, and proven false claim... Illustrating that stuff you hear isn't always correct... "Peak oil" is likely as true as Al Gore's prediction.

A895

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
No...there is not. There's a reason why there are so many legalities and regulations that prevent teenagers from entering into legally binding contracts and such until they are 18, and then even more until they are 21. It's because a teenager, by and large, cannot make an educated decision on something given their complete lack of real world experience. You can argue it all day long, but the truth is the truth...just because you have a tough upbringing, and you taste the real world, doesn't change the fact that as a teenager, you're still considered a child...and because of this, are shielded from many of the things adults have to face on a daily basis.

So because teenagers can't enter legally binding contracts they have no real world experience? That is a lame definition. I knew someone who was a teenager who paid all the bills in his house and attended high school and looked out for his sister, but I guess that still isn't "real world" experience then?

No that is a fallacy. Many a people at a young age have to face the real world face real life decisions. Just because they can't sign their name for a loan or for a house does not mean they haven't seen the real world.

A895

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
You made an appeal to authority by saying scientists claim oil will run out in a number of years... And I retorted with an example of another popular, and proven false claim... Illustrating that stuff you hear isn't always correct... "Peak oil" is likely as true as Al Gore's prediction.

What? It is largely documented that oil IS finite source. Al Gore saying something has ZERO to do with what I said. If you have to explain why you said it, it obviously didn't need to be said. Oil will run out eventually too many people are using, that is why there is a push for hybrids and electric vehicles to get independent of relying on oil, not to mention lessen the amount of CO2 that goes in the atmosphere. Not a false claim.

A895

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
"Until it is too late"...in what way do you define that point in todays world? In the same way a person wants to blame pollution caused by man on the major climate shifts, other reputable and researched theories say that it's all cyclical, and that our footprint on this planet is rather insignificant in the scheme of things.

At the end of the day...I'm not arguing whether we should do our part to lessen our footprint if we can. This should be done whether the planet is in absolute turmoil or in perfect "health" (for lack of better term). People can sensationalize topics all they want, doesn't mean they "know" anything is particularly the cause of what we see in the environment today...but if their research and shouting to the heavens pushes for further advancements in the field to help mankind, I've got no problem with that...what I do have a problem with though is people who want to tell me that "x" causes "y"...when that knowledge is truly unknown.

Like telling me that life exists on another planet...man do I hope it does, but there's zero evidence towards it. We just continue to search in the hope there is...just like we should continue to try and lessen our footprint in the hope it has a major change (for the better) on the environment.

I'll give you a famous example, why is there smog warnings in China? Or has been smog in LA? People have an effect on the environment, that isn't up for debate, the issue is how much of an impact we will have later on down the line.

And the issue with finding life on other planets is that our technology isn't where it needs to be find out, plus if there are other intelligent life forms they either don't want to talk to us, or don't have the tech to do so.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Al Gore is the new "Chicken Little". Man-made global warming? Nah!
http://iceagenow.info/

Manmade global warming is only about 0.6?F, while the sun contributed another 0.6?F. Man?s contribution is slight, and not enough manmade warming has occurred to panic over. There is a good chance that man can do nothing or only very little to change the manmade portion, even if he spent what alarmist suggest to ?fight? global warming (although we should always have been and should continue to be good stewards of the resources God has provided us). We have plenty of time for research. We can also learn to adapt by making changes, if global warming continues its slow upward trend, such as building dikes for rising sea level. (Some scientists are actually predicting global cooling in the future based on trends on the sun, but this remains to be seen.) Spending hundreds of billions of dollars a year to ?fight? global warming just doesn?t make sense, and is more likely to ruin the economies of first-world nations than make any significant impact.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.

A895

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Al Gore is the new "Chicken Little". Man-made global warming? Nah!
http://iceagenow.info/

Manmade global warming is only about 0.6?F, while the sun contributed another 0.6?F. Man?s contribution is slight, and not enough manmade warming has occurred to panic over. There is a good chance that man can do nothing or only very little to change the manmade portion, even if he spent what alarmist suggest to ?fight? global warming (although we should always have been and should continue to be good stewards of the resources God has provided us). We have plenty of time for research. We can also learn to adapt by making changes, if global warming continues its slow upward trend, such as building dikes for rising sea level. (Some scientists are actually predicting global cooling in the future based on trends on the sun, but this remains to be seen.) Spending hundreds of billions of dollars a year to ?fight? global warming just doesn?t make sense, and is more likely to ruin the economies of first-world nations than make any significant impact.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.

A very dubious site to even source. Anything more concrete than some guys blog?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods