Cyber Terrorism or Cyber Bullying? Or...how Hollywood tucked it's tail and ran.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
True but being able to watch a movie for a reasonable price on my couch was awesome.

Sent from my Gold iPad Air using Tapatalk

No doubt...but the build up and tactics used to do this were rotten in my opinion. Sony "honeyd*cked" (lol) everyone into watching this movie that I bet less than 60% of the people who did watch normally would have.

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
No doubt...but the build up and tactics used to do this were rotten in my opinion. Sony "honeyd*cked" (lol) everyone into watching this movie that I bet less than 60% of the people who did watch normally would have.

That's true. It was pretty funny- "tigers have night vision goggles?"

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
True but being able to watch a movie for a reasonable price on my couch was awesome.

I agree wholeheartedly. Regardless of the movie we're speaking about here, this is what I would like the immediate future to be. There are just some movies that I won't go out of my way to go to the movies to see. But if I can watch it at home during its release and pay significantly less than I would at the movies, then hell yes.

For example, I am looking forward to actually hitting the theater and getting into a recliner seat to go see 'American Sniper.' But I don't care to see 'The Gambler' at all so I'm not going to go out of my way to go to the theater to see it and will instead just wait until it's out for rent and maybe watch it. But if me and my girlfriend are home on a Friday night and don't feel like going out, I might just click rent on my Apple TV and watch it for six bucks as it is out in the theaters.

franknasty

Dec 26, 2014
Visit site
I agree wholeheartedly. Regardless of the movie we're speaking about here, this is what I would like the immediate future to be. There are just some movies that I won't go out of my way to go to the movies to see. But if I can watch it at home during its release and pay significantly less than I would at the movies, then hell yes.

For example, I am looking forward to actually hitting the theater and getting into a recliner seat to go see 'American Sniper.' But I don't care to see 'The Gambler' at all so I'm not going to go out of my way to go to the theater to see it and will instead just wait until it's out for rent and maybe watch it. But if me and my girlfriend are home on a Friday night and don't feel like going out, I might just click rent on my Apple TV and watch it for six bucks as it is out in the theaters.
I wait till the movies come to HBO.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

A895

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Your head would blow up if you knew that that is what pretty much what happens with every movie nowadays lol

I saw the previews a lot in the theaters because my girlfriend and I attend the theater plenty during the year and I never had the urge to see 'The Interview' at all. I didn't find the trailers that funny. And besides, I think James Franco is unbelievably overrated as an actor so I try to avoid spending any sort of money on his movies.

Movies don't get distributed online as HD torrents release day in theaters, I know because I know a bit about torrents as I do it myself.

Posted via the iMore App for Android

A895

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Another thing people My have forgot is that another movie was online before it hit theaters and that was Horns with Daniel Radcliffe (fantastic movie by the way). It was available to rent for days before it hit theaters.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Movies don't get distributed online as HD torrents release day in theaters, I know because I know a bit about torrents as I do it myself.

Depends on the movie and the kind of screeners are sent out as they are released...LOTS of movies get high quality screeners, sometimes before the theatrical release (and usually around awards season). You may torrent things, leading you to believe you know a good bit about them...but the truth is, if you actually look at the numbers, torrented files don't really hurt the monetary gain for the studio, and the impact over all is relatively small.

For instance, the movie Fury had it's torrent released the same week as the movie was released in theaters...budget of $60mil, has made almost $200mil. worldwide. Their estimates for it before release were right at $200mil.

A895

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Depends on the movie and the kind of screeners are sent out as they are released...LOTS of movies get high quality screeners, sometimes before the theatrical release (and usually around awards season). You may torrent things, leading you to believe you know a good bit about them...but the truth is, if you actually look at the numbers, torrented files don't really hurt the monetary gain for the studio, and the impact over all is relatively small.

For instance, the movie Fury had it's torrent released the same week as the movie was released in theaters...budget of $60mil, has made almost $200mil. worldwide. Their estimates for it before release were right at $200mil.

How do we know for sure torrents won't hurt the Interview? It was a headline on quite a few sites that it could be Torrented.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
How do we know for sure torrents won't hurt the Interview? It was a headline on quite a few sites that it could be Torrented.

Oh it's ABSOLUTELY going to hurt The Interview...it's going to wreck their totals, and you know why? Because they set it up this way...they made the film infamous through this "hack" story (true or not). But the other side of the coin is that the studio will see what a generally panned movie will do through VoD, and it will probably slowly progress into the movies that have less a chance of box office success having dual format releases.

Interestingly enough, torrenting actually helps spread the word for GOOD movies, and has a positive influence on people seeing it in theaters (as studies have shown). When movies are bad though, it works in the opposite way...and in my opinion, this isn't a bad thing. It'll make studios rethink green lighting this kind of garbage.

A895

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Oh it's ABSOLUTELY going to hurt The Interview...it's going to wreck their totals, and you know why? Because they set it up this way...they made the film infamous through this "hack" story (true or not). But the other side of the coin is that the studio will see what a generally panned movie will do through VoD, and it will probably slowly progress into the movies that have less a chance of box office success having dual format releases.

Interestingly enough, torrenting actually helps spread the word for GOOD movies, and has a positive influence on people seeing it in theaters (as studies have shown). When movies are bad though, it works in the opposite way...and in my opinion, this isn't a bad thing. It'll make studios rethink green lighting this kind of garbage.

I see your point. So far as it seems, some people like it and say it is entertaining, others don't like it all.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site

We obviously get our content from different areas because most of what I get is HD quality.

It is amazing what jailbreaking/rooting devices can get you along with an Apple TV.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73