Thoughts on Senate CIA report

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
I agree. I'm a Christian, but I think it's hypocritical to pull up parts of the bible that benefit ones point of view, while ignoring others. If the bible is true, and Gods word, than all of the New Testament has to be taken seriously. Based on Scatabrains replies in other threads, they do not take the whole New Testament seriously.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

Being for peace is all I want. I see nothing wrong with taking inspiration where it can be found. Jesus saying turn the other cheek is how we should act NOT eye for an eye as Old Testament said.

And if I can marvel at the creation and care for my fellow man using science and therefore don't feel compelled to take 7 days literally, it does not make me a hypocrite. I may not be a good standing member of your church as your church would require but my views are very clear and do not contradict.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

calebt

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Kill or be killed. What other groups have that same motto?

No, I said be killed or kill there is a difference and I'm not for torture, but I am for doing anything to stop a threat and the people we are talking about are a serious threat.

Last edited:

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Being for peace is all I want. I see nothing wrong with taking inspiration where it can be found. Jesus saying turn the other cheek is how we should act NOT eye for an eye as Old Testament said.

And if I can marvel at the creation and care for my fellow man using science and therefore don't feel compelled to take 7 days literally, it does not make me a hypocrite. I may not be a good standing member of your church as your church would require but my views are very clear and do not contradict.

And please point me to where in the New Testament it says torture is okay.

the_tech_eater

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site

Since when does our government adhere to the bible, let alone society. Are you kidding me? Point me to where the New Testament says abortion or homosexuality is ok. Our government and society don't give a rip what the bible says. And I thought you from the left are trying to free the government and our public education system from religion?
I don't want to start a debate about those two hot topics. I'm just saying that the government and society don't care about what the bible says.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
You have heard that it was said, "An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth". But I say to you, do not resist an evildoer. If anyone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also. (Mt 5:38–39, NRSV)

Scary thought: leftist liberals quoting Scripture.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
And rightfully so.

Regardless of whether this is true or not, it is, as TechEater has pointed out, a bit too convenient to pick and choose the parts of the book you want to believe. You can rip the page out of the book, but it doesn’t change the fact that the book states it.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

Interesting bit of info that I learned today...might interest you to read as well...

Now we’ll consider the use of torture in relation to governmental policy. We know that God has appointed civil governments and charged them with maintaining justice in this world (Romans 13:1-5). “For [the ruler] is God's servant to do you good . . . an agent of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer” (verse 4). Elsewhere, God calls judges and magistrates “gods”; that is, their authority to provide justice comes from God Himself (Psalm 82:1-4). If they fail in their duty, they will themselves be judged by the Lord, the Judge of all (verses 7-8).

So government bears the responsibility to protect the good and punish the evil. What methods may it employ in carrying out that responsibility? Beyond the endorsement of capital punishment (Romans 13:4; Genesis 9:6), the Bible does not say. The Bible neither condemns nor condones a government’s use of torture.

Read more: What does the Bible say about torture?

acadia11

Banned
Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
Since when does our government adhere to the bible, let alone society. Are you kidding me? Point me to where the New Testament says abortion or homosexuality is ok. Our government and society don't give a rip what the bible says. And I thought you from the left are trying to free the government and our public education system from religion?
I don't want to start a debate about those two hot topics. I'm just saying that the government and society don't care about what the bible says.

And a good thing for that. I've always preferred to adhere to what the Greek gods say! This is a much more rational way to governance.

calebt

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
You guys are scary.

Scary, what’s more scary is a person who will let their family members die and not be for trying to do anything about it but talk.

" Originally Posted by pappy53"
So, if your family was in terrorists' hands, and torture was the ONLY method for safe recovery, you are saying that you would let them die? Wow!

Yes.

Last edited:

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Interesting bit of info that I learned today...might interest you to read as well...

That editorial you linked to isn't scripture. How do you reconcile: "In every case, we see that the godly are the victims of torture, never the perpetrators of torture." With the authors conclusions that a government isn't prohibited from using torture in God's name?

I read the author's justification and it is exactly the same B.S that radicals use to justify themselves.

I'm sorry but you think you know me but you don't. And if you think Jesus would approve torture you need to take a hard look at what you believe and what His teachings are about.

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Scary, what?s more scary is a person who will let their family members die and not be for trying to do anything about it but talk.

" Originally Posted by pappy53"
So, if your family was in terrorists' hands, and torture was the ONLY method for safe recovery, you are saying that you would let them die? Wow!

Thats what having principles is all about.

Les74

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Regardless of whether this is true or not, it is, as TechEater has pointed out, a bit too convenient to pick and choose the parts of the book you want to believe. You can rip the page out of the book, but it doesn?t change the fact that the book states it.

That's understandable and I can't...and don't want to...argue that point. Not to take the subject really off topic, but my point was just a general statement that government shouldn't adhere to what the "good book" says.....even though it's pretty much already going on....sadly.

calebt

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Thats what having principles is all about.

Okay I can accept that. I have principles too and I’m glad during the two world wars the right sets of principles were followed. Oh yea and we all know how it ended for Jesus. I’ll let God be the judge of me in the end, whether I lived my life right or wrong. If I have to spend a little time in purgatory for what I believe in so be it. With that I’ll leave religion out of it from now on.

hydrogen3

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Cafeteria Christians have eternal Damnation...you can not pick and choose sections. If your A Christian, your a Christian and believe in the entire Bible. Atheist pick and choose. For the record Old testament is the word of the lord...

Eye for an eye. Doing right ain't got no end.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh