Thoughts on Senate CIA report

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
I disagree with you; the anger was taught way before America was even a country

I bet you would be singing a different tune if it were your son in one of those video's about to be beheaded.

I can use the same type of analogy: if your family member's rights to due process were overridden in the name of fighting terrorism, you'd be against it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Benjamin Franklin: Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Do we really want humanity to fall back to the likes of the Salem Witch Trials or the Grand Inquisition?

Torture for any reason should not be tolerated in our present state of Conscience evolution

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Do we really want humanity to fall back to the likes of the Salem Witch Trials or the Grand Inquisition?

Torture for any reason should not be tolerated in our present state of Conscience evolution

So where do you draw the line? What is torture and what is not?

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
You have heard that it was said, "An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth". But I say to you, do not resist an evildoer. If anyone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also. (Mt 5:38?39, NRSV)

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
I suppose so. When I was young and my older cousin used to tickle the bottom of my foot, it felt like torture!

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.

You get points for style but humor aside, damage from mental pressure of a captive, prisoner is real. As PTSD is for returning veterans.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
If we are torturing, we are the tyrants.

Tyrannical actions sometimes only respond to other tyrannical actions. It is a vicious circle...no doubt, but there really is no humane way to approach these kinds of situations to get the kind of information that has to be FORCED from someone. You can't simply resort to slapping them on the hands and hoping.

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Sorry Sean but Jesus debunked eye for an eye. See above.
Mahatma Gandhi fought tyranny through his ideals not through confrontation. The Berlin Wall came down because of influences such as the Beatles. The only way to stand against radicalism is through our ideals and by example. How can you argue with John Lennon, Gandhi, our founding fathers and Jesus?

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Mahatma Gandhi fought tyranny through his ideals not through confrontation. The Berlin Wall came down because of influences such as the Beatles. The only way to stand against radicalism is through our ideals and by example. How can you argue with John Lennon, Gandhi, our founding fathers and Jesus?

Because all of them, sadly, failed our modern society in terms of results. You can put up a fight, and even make a change in a lot of people's lives, but human nature is human nature, and those who strive for destruction always find a way back into places of power that lead to these things. If we're going to go the religious route...you know exactly where this kind of negativity comes from, and it is all laid out in the good book. These things are inevitable.

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Because all of them, sadly, failed our modern society in terms of results. You can put up a fight, and even make a change in a lot of people's lives, but human nature is human nature, and those who strive for destruction always find a way back into places of power that lead to these things. If we're going to go the religious route...you know exactly where this kind of negativity comes from, and it is all laid out in the good book. These things are inevitable.

Good results can only be long lasting if we do not lose our way. By torturing we have.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
At least thats honest. Don't agree at all though.

That's kind of the point of torture though...they don't expect you agree with it, they expect you to be shocked by it, even disgusted by it, because it makes you (and hopefully those who they use it against) fear it. The difference between this same type of torture 30 years ago and today is that now, society in general gets to watch it first hand if they choose to, read it first hand if they choose to, and stay on top of when/where/why it's happening if they choose to. Before our technological age, Americans weren't privy to this kind of thing, and were probably all the better for it to be honest (not to say it was any more/less justified while shielding the public from it, it was just viewed differently I suppose you could say).

If you want my unadulterated opinion on it...I feel we get all this information about it so we understand fully what kind of tactics could and WILL be used on our own people in the future when many decide that liberties have been limited and removed enough, and another revolution begins from the inside. You can see sparks of it right now.

calebt

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site

No offence, but God help us all if the likes of you are running our country in the event of an invasion, not that an invasion would ever happen.

That is what will happen if nothing is done. Groups like ISIS will eventually gain some power and then it will be, be killed or kill.

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
No offence, but God help us all if the likes of you are running our country in the event of an invasion, not that an invasion would ever happen.

That is what will happen if nothing is done. Groups like ISIS will eventually gain some power and then it will be, be killed or kill.

Kill or be killed. What other groups have that same motto?

the_tech_eater

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site

I agree. I'm a Christian, but I think it's hypocritical to pull up parts of the bible that benefit ones point of view, while ignoring others. If the bible is true, and Gods word, than all of the New Testament has to be taken seriously. Based on Scatabrains replies in other threads, they do not take the whole New Testament seriously.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods