Thoughts on Senate CIA report

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I've always maintained that I want to be shown when the US captured an aid worker or journalist from a country where the terrorist groups originate, then tortured them to get information. The US has done some pretty gnarly things to captured terrorists, but when have they EVER tortured someone on the level of the people who groups like ISIS have been beheading?

These terrorist groups don't care who they kill because they are not doing it out of revenge...they are doing it to garner attention, and killing a solider, unfortunately, doesn't carry with it the same kind of attention that beheading an aid worker, or a journalist or an innocent bystander in a building with a plane.

We torture terrorists for answers...they behead innocent people for attention. In the end, there is no winning this "war" on terrorism because they simply exist...they aren't an entity we can go fight and beat and then call it a "win", they are ideas, histories and religious commands that will always be followed.

Agree. Until every last one of them is wiped out, these things will happen all to frequently. It is a shame, but it is the world that we live in. It's also a shame how soft america is becoming and funny all these people come out of the woodwork "caring" when a report comes out, but a month or two down the road you won't hear anything about it. Same goes for all the things going on with police and doing things that in some cases maybe they shouldn't have. Nothing will change, because it cannot with the current parties and systems that are in place now.

A895

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Most likely. Either way, they do the same thing.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.
They are two different groups. If ISIS beheads someone, that is ISIS, Al Queda wasn't known for brutality. We can't justify Al Queda torture to go against ISIS, that makes zero sense.

Yes it is sad someone was killed by ISIS, but killing a few americans isn't justifiable to jump into another war. Especially since we have domestic issues that need to be sorted and people getting slaughtered in our backyard (Mexico).

We can't pick and choose just because they are middle eastern. It's either handle the Mexico cartels and domestic issues like Net Neutrality, and healthcare and welfare. Or we divert resources and attention to start another war in the middle east.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
ISIS divorced itself away from al qaeda less than a year ago...before then, you had several above the line members who were both a part of ISIS and al qaeda. It makes more sense tactically for both entities to deny involvement with each other, especially in terms of targeting from opposition.

And al qaeda was absolutely known for brutality...they were behind one of the most famous beheadings in history, Daniel Pearl.

Please stop talking about things out of your a$$...you literally have no clue what you're talking about.

anon(5061193)

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
Whenever I think that shoving things up the Terrorists *** may have gone too far..I look at the pictures of the people standing on the ledge of the 80th floor of the Trade Center and deciding that jumping was the better option and then think that whatever we do to them is not enough.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
They are two different groups. If ISIS beheads someone, that is ISIS, Al Queda wasn't known for brutality. We can't justify Al Queda torture to go against ISIS, that makes zero sense.

Yes it is sad someone was killed by ISIS, but killing a few americans isn't justifiable to jump into another war. Especially since we have domestic issues that need to be sorted and people getting slaughtered in our backyard (Mexico).

We can't pick and choose just because they are middle eastern. It's either handle the Mexico cartels and domestic issues like Net Neutrality, and healthcare and welfare. Or we divert resources and attention to start another war in the middle east.

Al Queda has done their share of beheadings. You sure are misinformed about a lot of things. And you make a lot if assumptions. Al Queda was responsible for the beheading of Daniel Pearl and many others. They have recently tried to improve their image by denouncing the ISIS beheadings. Or so Al Queda leader, Nasr bin Ali al-Ansi, says. Like we're supposed to buy into that. Go sit around a desert campfire and sing Kumbayah with a camel breathing down my neck. Nope! What they do is real torture. And they do it mostly to their own. And any Christians they can round up. There's a huge difference in the techniques the US used and real torture committed by those desert barbarians. But you go ahead and believe what you will. I'll leave it at that.

A895

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Al Queda has done their share of beheadings. You sure are misinformed about a lot of things. And you make a lot if assumptions. Al Queda was responsible for the beheading of Daniel Pearl and many others. They have recently tried to improve their image by denouncing the ISIS beheadings. Or so Al Queda leader, Nasr bin Ali al-Ansi, says. Like we're supposed to buy into that. Go sit around a desert campfire and sing Kumbayah with a camel breathing down my neck. Nope! What they do is real torture. And they do it mostly to their own. And any Christians they can round up. There's a huge difference in the techniques the US used and real torture committed by those desert barbarians. But you go ahead and believe what you will. I'll leave it at that.

Real torture? So forcing food up someone *** isn't torture? Or waterboarding? Or the beatings? Or the forced isolation in small confinements?

And no, I never freaking said Al Queda didn't do beheadings that is twisting my words which you and others do constantly. I am saying Al Queda isn't known for public brutality like ISIS. I mean ISIS whole shtick is using social media and putting out beheading videos. That is something Al Queda didn't do.

U.S. used horrible torture techniques period, point blank. There is no excusing doing things such as that. There is a point where it goes from trying to get Intel to being brutal just for the hell of it.
As per the reports contents they were being brutal just because. As I said, I am glad this program is now done and over with. Unless we can find more humane ways to gather Intel, I don't think we should do any more interrogation.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
And no, I never freaking said Al Queda didn't do beheadings that is twisting my words which you and others do constantly. I am saying Al Queda isn't known for public brutality like ISIS. I mean ISIS whole shtick is using social media and putting out beheading videos. That is something Al Queda didn't do.

Let's clarify one thing here...al QAEDA, lol.

Secondly...your exact words were "Al Queda wasn't known for brutality"...so I know I for one wasn't twisting your words around at all. Al Qaeda was known for the exact same brutal and violent methods that ISIS is, and mainly because the same people in ISIS were leaders in al qaeda as well, so the methods would be some what linear. Al qaeda used to stop caravans of supply runners in Iraq, drag the drivers out of the cars, line them up...some of them are hacked to death, others are shot to death and then all of them along with their trucks were set on fire (many of the trucks being filled with food and water for various villages). They would then air this on television and put it online in their various networks.

They were JUST as violent as ISIS, JUST as brutal...and did it for attention in the same way by putting it in the public eye. The only difference we really have right now is that ISIS is doing more in the spotlight. I hate to say it, but I truly think al qaeda is back building while ISIS takes so much attention away.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
U.S. used horrible torture techniques period, point blank.

You'll have to forgive me, but I wasn't aware there were "nice" torture techniques. Kind of defeats the purpose doesn't it? Torture is supposed to be shocking and despicable, otherwise we'd just call it intense interrogation.

A895

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Let's clarify one thing here...al QAEDA, lol.

Secondly...your exact words were "Al Queda wasn't known for brutality"...so I know I for one wasn't twisting your words around at all. Al Qaeda was known for the exact same brutal and violent methods that ISIS is, and mainly because the same people in ISIS were leaders in al qaeda as well, so the methods would be some what linear. Al qaeda used to stop caravans of supply runners in Iraq, drag the drivers out of the cars, line them up...some of them are hacked to death, others are shot to death and then all of them along with their trucks were set on fire (many of the trucks being filled with food and water for various villages). They would then air this on television and put it online in their various networks.

They were JUST as violent as ISIS, JUST as brutal...and did it for attention in the same way by putting it in the public eye. The only difference we really have right now is that ISIS is doing more in the spotlight. I hate to say it, but I truly think al qaeda is back building while ISIS takes so much attention away.

When I think of Al Qaeda, I don't think of nor remember anything like ISIS is doing. Though I do agree with the world attention on ISIS, Al Qaeda can have something going on behind the scenes. I hope the govt is still keeping eyes on then.

A895

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
You'll have to forgive me, but I wasn't aware there were "nice" torture techniques. Kind of defeats the purpose doesn't it? Torture is supposed to be shocking and despicable, otherwise we'd just call it intense interrogation.

Lol, what is funny is there have been people who have been calling it enhanced interrogation all week.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
When I think of Al Qaeda, I don't think of nor remember anything like ISIS is doing. Though I do agree with the world attention on ISIS, Al Qaeda can have something going on behind the scenes. I hope the govt is still keeping eyes on then.

Just do a simple google search on "al qaeda" and put words like "brutal" "violent" or "torture" and you'll get more stories than you could ever read about their tactics, most times against their own people (which is disgusting, but not surprising, since they wanted to cause shock value first and foremost to generate press).

As far as the government keeping eyes on them...the US government is almost constantly in missions taking down the leaders of these groups. There isn't a second of the day where our government isn't monitoring and actively pursuing everything we know about these groups and other groups that you never heard about because they aren't as appetizing for the media to consume.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Lol, what is funny is there have been people who have been calling it enhanced interrogation all week.
That's what it is! It doesn't actually do physical harm. Does it make them uncomfortable? Yes! It's supposed to. You've apparently never watched a video of a beheading. I'm talking the whole thing from beginning to end. I have. I wish I had not. But having seen what those sand barbarians do, I would hope our people would do anything necessary to save our own. If that includes water boarding, which does absolutely no harm, then so be it.

A895

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
That's what it is! It doesn't actually do physical harm. Does it make them uncomfortable? Yes! It's supposed to. You've apparently never watched a video of a beheading. I'm talking the whole thing from beginning to end. I have. I wish I had not. But having seen what those sand barbarians do, I would hope our people would do anything necessary to save our own. If that includes water boarding, which does absolutely no harm, then so be it.

Doesn't do physical harm? You are kidding right?

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Doesn't do physical harm? You are kidding right?

No, it does not. It's just an uncomfortable feeling. What physical harm is done? Many who have administered it have had it done to them so they would know what it's like.

A895

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
No, it does not. It's just an uncomfortable feeling. What physical harm is done? Many who have administered it have had it done to them so they would know what it's like.

Rectal Rehydration? Beatings? Forcing food up someones *** is painless? near Drownings? Sleep Deprivation? None of that is painless.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro