Thoughts on Senate CIA report

boovish

Jul 23, 2012
Visit site
Really, we're just going to give the terrorist, who we probably can't trust, $80 million dollars and just turn them loose in their home country? Why the heck would they not take the money to their terrorist cell? You cannot peacefully extract information from someone who is willing to die for their cause. They got what was coming to them, and quite frankly I think even if we don't need the info they have, they should be tortured anyway

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
What the ever loving F*#K are you talking about? I simply asked you a question here and you've now danced around it twice...the second time throwing a temper tantrum in the process. I simply wanted an answer from YOU as to what YOU thought was the most efficient way of getting this info...not some generic "There's lots of ways"...no, what do YOU think is the most efficient way of doing it (since you've said now that the way it's done is absolutely wrong).

And the second portion was simply a correction in something you said that was wrong...all those entities that you listed do employ means of interrogation that you would oppose as they are physically violent in nature. Happens all the time.

Can you answer the question? Or are you going to explode like a 10 year old who had his Nintendo taken away again?

Maybe he could stomp his tiny little feet and throw a hissy fit until the terrorists gave up the info. These bleeding heart liberals make me want to puke.

And yeah, it looks like I lied. I'm not done here. There's too much at stake.

hydrogen3

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
I heard that a well known psychiatrist said that liberalism is a mental illness.......I'm beginning to believe he knows what he is talking about.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
You're in the political forum. You need to learn that these are discussions that can escalate. Not going to bring you flowers here. People will bring it. If you'd rather not, you don't have to participate.

jack.gif

the_tech_eater

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
I can just see a liberal trying to get info out of a terrorist.... "If you don't tell me when you're planning the next attack, I'll sue you. Aren't you going to tell me? I'll get the ACLU if you don't tell me. If you don't tell me I'm going on strike with my Union. I'm giving you one last chance to tell me, or you are going on time out for 5 minutes."

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I'm pretty sure I'd give up the farm after being forced to listen to "It's a Small World" at Disneyland for an hour or two.

the_tech_eater

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
I'm pretty sure I'd give up the farm after being forced to listen to "It's a Small World" at Disneyland for an hour or two.

I'd tell anything if I had to hear Nancy Pelosi or Hilary Clinton talk for 5 minutes. Might even talk if I had to listen to Sarah Palin.

Smply_Rcklss

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
I can just see a liberal trying to get info out of a terrorist.... "If you don't tell me when you're planning the next attack, I'll sue you. Aren't you going to tell me? I'll get the ACLU if you don't tell me. If you don't tell me I'm going on strike with my Union. I'm giving you one last chance to tell me, or you are going on time out for 5 minutes."

Lmao ! Dead on.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

Me and my wife got stuck on the peter pan ride when we were newly weds for almost an hour..."GOTCHA NOW PETAAHHH PAAAN!" is engrained in me now.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Can you point to this evidence? Also, what is mild water boarding???

I fine this humorous because who is politically gaining by this report being released? Certainly not the WH who had been accused of not being transparent on the issue and continueing the policies, so, what democratic gain is there? I personally am not for or against I'm just pointing out that evidence shows torture is not useful it getting accurate information.

I recall reading about it 2 or 3 years ago. I'll try to dig it up.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Now that the Democratic senators have released the report on the CIA's "torturing" of high-level terrorists, what are your thoughts on this issue?
My opinion is that we are dealing with terrorists that like nothing more than killing Americans, whether by the actions of 9/11, beheadings, suicide bombers, etc. Therefore, IMO, we should be able to use any measures available to prevent any further American deaths. Those enhanced interrogations provided our government with a lot of intel that probably thwarted some future attack plans, and also helped to get Bin Laden.
I mean, what are we supposed to do when Americans die? Do we put the terrorists in "time-out" till they talk? /smh

I think in the times that happened, you have to do what you have to do. Unfortunately it seems like democrats want everyone to "like" the US and are so worried about what the world thinks, that they would rather lose american lives than do the dirty work. Unless there were better ways to get the information (which is highly doubtful because these terrorists despise the US so much) it needed to be done. I mean look at the beheadings and other torture ways that are happening to US captives, you think this just started happening because of that? No they(terrorists around the world) have been doing things like that for just about ever, yet they feel it is unjust when it happens to their people that the US captured that the US should be punished.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I've always maintained that I want to be shown when the US captured an aid worker or journalist from a country where the terrorist groups originate, then tortured them to get information. The US has done some pretty gnarly things to captured terrorists, but when have they EVER tortured someone on the level of the people who groups like ISIS have been beheading?

These terrorist groups don't care who they kill because they are not doing it out of revenge...they are doing it to garner attention, and killing a solider, unfortunately, doesn't carry with it the same kind of attention that beheading an aid worker, or a journalist or an innocent bystander in a building with a plane.

We torture terrorists for answers...they behead innocent people for attention. In the end, there is no winning this "war" on terrorism because they simply exist...they aren't an entity we can go fight and beat and then call it a "win", they are ideas, histories and religious commands that will always be followed.

acadia11

Banned
Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
I've always maintained that I want to be shown when the US captured an aid worker or journalist from a country where the terrorist groups originate, then tortured them to get information. The US has done some pretty gnarly things to captured terrorists, but when have they EVER tortured someone on the level of the people who groups like ISIS have been beheading?

These terrorist groups don't care who they kill because they are not doing it out of revenge...they are doing it to garner attention, and killing a solider, unfortunately, doesn't carry with it the same kind of attention that beheading an aid worker, or a journalist or an innocent bystander in a building with a plane.

We torture terrorists for answers...they behead innocent people for attention. In the end, there is no winning this "war" on terrorism because they simply exist...they aren't an entity we can go fight and beat and then call it a "win", they are ideas, histories and religious commands that will always be followed.

Come on man you can't seriously argue that there is good torture bs bad torture?

iSIS tortures people because it fits their agenda, we tortured people because it fit our agenda , whether it was because you want to start or solidify the founding of a new caliphate, or want to get information how can you rationally argue one reason is more valid than the other?

I'm not saying it's wrong or right, but it's a bit of cognitive dissonance to hold that it's ok for the goose but not the gander.

A895

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
The CIA report was really interesting. I saw The Daily Show piece and then The Colbert Report and what they had to say, and they were hilarious as usual. What is interesting most of all is that the CIA lied about how much info they were getting and the most important pieces on the war on terror happened with no intel from said tortures. So the tortures either didn't help at all or helped so little that whatever positive came from them, we have yet to see it.

And other thing I found out, is that the two doctors in charge of the program learned the techniques from the Chinese and got 81 million dollars to run the program. There were also mentions in the report of how CIA member knew what they were doing was wrong and thought it was going too far. In the end Osama Bin Ladens location didn't come from torture, and the info on the dirty bomb didn't come from torture., Nothing significant came from the torture, that is a fact. The program is now done and over with, but the report I think was very enlightening into what was happening. We had an inkling of what we might have been doing, but now real facts and now we know.

Also McCain has been a damn roll lately. He has been making some intelligent speeches and statements lately. If I was in Arizona right now, I know I would vote for him.

Also this bit on The Daily Show was gold:

acadia11

Banned
Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
The CIA report was really interesting. I saw The Daily Show piece and then The Colbert Report and what they had to say, and they were hilarious as usual. What is interesting most of all is that the CIA lied about how much info they were getting and the most important pieces on the war on terror happened with no intel from said tortures. So the tortures either didn't help at all or helped so little that whatever positive came from them, we have yet to see it.

And other thing I found out, is that the two doctors in charge of the program learned the techniques from the Chinese and got 81 million dollars to run the program. There were also mentions in the report of how CIA member knew what they were doing was wrong and thought it was going too far. In the end Osama Bin Ladens location didn't come from torture, and the info on the dirty bomb didn't come from torture., Nothing significant came from the torture, that is a fact. The program is now done and over with, but the report I think was very enlightening into what was happening. We had an inkling of what we might have been doing, but now real facts and now we know.

Also McCain has been a damn roll lately. He has been making some intelligent speeches and statements lately. If I was in Arizona right now, I know I would vote for him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vobpv2cjFXs

Also this bit on The Daily Show was gold:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Pncv_t1uBw

It's been shown torture is not an effective means of gathering intelligence.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Come on man you can't seriously argue that there is good torture bs bad torture?

iSIS tortures people because it fits their agenda, we tortured people because it fit our agenda , whether it was because you want to start or solidify the founding of a new caliphate, or want to get information how can you rationally argue one reason is more valid than the other?

I'm not saying it's wrong or right, but it's a bit of cognitive dissonance to hold that it's ok for the goose but not the gander.

I simply stated the reasoning...I never qualified one being more important than the other. What I DID qualify was the recipients of the torture...and how it better serves the party doing the torturing. The US tortures a captured "solider" from a terrorist group to get answers...a terrorist group basically grabs whoever will give them the most exposure, including innocent people, some who have probably HELPED the members of their terrorists groups or their families (IE: Aid Workers).

There is absolutely and unquestionably a difference. The US does not abduct innocent aid workers, journalists and civilians...hold them captive and then execute them on live TV. Regardless of what the reasoning for this is, it very clearly distinguishes the two from each other.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro