Thoughts on Senate CIA report

pappy53

Banned
Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Now that the Democratic senators have released the report on the CIA's "torturing" of high-level terrorists, what are your thoughts on this issue?
My opinion is that we are dealing with terrorists that like nothing more than killing Americans, whether by the actions of 9/11, beheadings, suicide bombers, etc. Therefore, IMO, we should be able to use any measures available to prevent any further American deaths. Those enhanced interrogations provided our government with a lot of intel that probably thwarted some future attack plans, and also helped to get Bin Laden.
I mean, what are we supposed to do when Americans die? Do we put the terrorists in "time-out" till they talk? /smh

palandri

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
Now that the Democratic senators have released the report on the CIA's "torturing" of high-level terrorists, what are your thoughts on this issue?
My opinion is that we are dealing with terrorists that like nothing more than killing Americans, whether by the actions of 9/11, beheadings, suicide bombers, etc. Therefore, IMO, we should be able to use any measures available to prevent any further American deaths. Those enhanced interrogations provided our government with a lot of intel that probably thwarted some future attack plans, and also helped to get Bin Laden.
I mean, what are we supposed to do when Americans die? Do we put the terrorists in "time-out" till they talk? /smh

I agree with Republican John McCain.

Pappy, you're a devout christian. have you asked yourself, "What would Jesus do?". Would he make detainees stand on broken limbs for hours?, deprived people of sleep for up to 180 hours?, waterboard a person a hundred times?, body slap people? pour cold water on naked people, and let at least one guy die from hypothermia?

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I think the timing and release of the documents is awfully convenient for political motivation myself...

lipton-tea-city-of-animals.jpg

...I also think that interrogation tactics are things that society in general was never meant to be privy to, and that there are lots of things our government does, moral or not, that need to be done but also need to be kept in secrecy...unfortunately we live in an age of translucency, and people are going to start seeing how this country has acted almost since it's inception. How the freedoms we enjoy come at a cost that a lot of people may not be ok with.

Ignorance is bliss.

pappy53

Banned
Jun 14, 2011
Visit site

Pappy, you're a devout christian. have you asked yourself, "What would Jesus do?". Would he make detainees stand on broken limbs for hours?, deprived people of sleep for up to 180 hours?, waterboard a person a hundred times?, body slap people? pour cold water on naked people, and let at least one guy die from hypothermia?

Jesus drowned thousands of Egyptians in the Red Sea to protect his people. I believe in taking the means necessary to keep Americans alive, and safe as possible from terrorists.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Isn't it ironic that the methods "exposed" as torture and offensive in this report are those same methods used to locate, capture and dispose of the terrorist leaders and organizers, including Saddam Hussein and Osama Bin Laden? This smacks of dirty politics and situational ethics in the highest degree.

pappy53

Banned
Jun 14, 2011
Visit site

Let's look at it from another angle. Just imagine that a group of terrorists kidnapped a close family member of yours, and one of the terrorists was captured. The only way to get that family member back alive is to "torture" the terrorist in custody to get info. Now, you have to ask yourself "what would Palandri do?" .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

acadia11

Banned
Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
Let's look at it from another angle. Just imagine that a group of terrorists kidnapped a close family member of yours, and one of the terrorists was captured. The only way to get that family member back alive is to "torture" the terrorist in custody to get info. Now, you have to ask yourself "what would Palandri do?" .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think the argument is whether we should torture or not, the issue is torture doesn't work, steady according to the report in terms if the info we received.

Smply_Rcklss

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
I'm not really into politics, but my opinion is.. Its only fair. Terrorist behead, suicide bomb, kidnap Americans all the time. So I see its only right we torture the f*** out of them in return for Intel. As it was stated by the OP, giving em "time out" doesn't solve s***. Its kinda like how when we take P.O.W's, we're suppose to treat them nice while their comrades are shooting at american troops in attempt to kill them. We know damn well if they take an American soldier hostage, they're beheading em on national TV.

acadia11

Banned
Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
I'm not really into politics, but my opinion is.. Its only fair. Terrorist behead, suicide bomb, kidnap Americans all the time. So I see its only right we torture the f*** out of them in return for Intel. As it was stated by the OP, giving em "time out" doesn't solve s***. Its kinda like how when we take P.O.W's, we're suppose to treat them nice while their comrades are shooting at american troops in attempt to kill them. We know damn well if they take an American soldier hostage, they're beheading em on national TV.

Again, the assumption is that torturing means you'll get credible and useful information. The studies show he opposite, most anyone under torture will say whatever you want them to say.

Moreover, you are assuming hey are guilty , it's a very slippery slope.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR