Obama will go down as an exceptional president

Status
Not open for further replies.

kilofoxtrot

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Utopianism also finds a receptive audience among societies disenchanted, disaffected, dissatisfied, and maladjusted who are unable to assume responsibility for their own real or perceived conditions but instead blame their surroundings, the system and others.

Kind of like you blaming Bush when the blame rest with Obama.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using 100% recycled electrons and of course Tapatalk

So the crappy economy Bush handed to Obama in Jan of '09 is really Obama's fault?

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I share Sean's view about a president being a pawn. It is usually whoever the party grooms that person to be so they can run and get elected. I say this because I've never been one to defend a president but someone brought up Hurricane Katrina and "tech savvy." Dude, really? Give us some examples of how tech savvy Obama is. The catch is you need to give me those examples in regards to things that previous presidents before him had access to and the same advantages.

And what about Hurricane Katrina exactly? And the shoe throwing incident? What about it? What if Obama gets a shoe thrown at him? What will you say then?

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Would you say Reagan fixed the economy or improved the economy? And Obama objectively speaking has done more ... Where is the praise for Obama as it was for Reagan?

Clinton was far more tech savvy than Bush, and more specifically his administration and Al Gore, the running joke about him inventing the Internet was wrong but Al Gore was instrumental to its development, see the letter by Robert Kahn and Vinton Cerf, Some of the fathers of Internet specifically development of TCP/IP, tech savvy doesn't mean personal use it means understanding and usage of technology as it applies to political initiative.

http://web.eecs.umich.edu/~fessler/misc/funny/gore,net.txt

Listen lots of people drive cars, very few people drive like Jimmie Johnson. Saying that all presidents engage the youth is like saying many people drive. Obama is exceptional at youth engagement especially objectively speaking, youth donations, party sign up, volunteers, so was Reagan (young republicans movement) for that matter, maybe it was his Hollywood roots, but could you compare gW bush SR. Youth engagement to Obamas? Absolutely, not.

Like I said when Obamas presidency is over people will be tripping over themselves saying how great he was, and forget conversation like this. Objectively speaking Obama is exceptional and has done an exceptional job period, the credit will come. Even by you mark my words. The wave of nostalgia, the need to fear will be removed because he'll be out of office, and this will be the key difference. Like I said Ali is loved today, a great champion, a great American, with his own Museum everyone forgets today he was hated at one point.

Reagan left us with a debt we can never repay.

Well actually Clinton repaid it. Then G W racked the total to new heights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

acadia11

Banned
Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
I never expressed my taste/distaste for Obama, so it's funny that you'd assume such with the comment "Even by you."

Personally, I think all presidents are pawns...I have no real attachment to any of them because in my opinion, they are all just facades. As a person, President Obama seems like a great guy...respectful, engaging and particularly well spoken at times...but honestly, none of my responses were in light of what I think of Obama, but more response to the comments A895 made which I found humorous...with the exception of the youth engagement...I'll simply bow away from that comment as me being inaccurate because I don't have the where with all to look up facts to support my opinion in that regard.

My retort about tech savviness was also in response to A895, who does not share your idea of what it means, and was reflecting it as a personal thing (proven by his response about giving the queen an iPod). Clinton actually WASN'T tech savvy at all, self admitted by him when asked about using blackberry's back during the Bush administration...he said he was "old school", and regarded his love for his saxophone as something that keeps him limited to the electronic world. Doesn't mean his administration wasn't on the forefront of tech...as you said, Gore was instrumental in the creation of the modern internet...but again, this was not the context of the discussion had between me and A895 before you chimed in.

I don't think a president is a pawn, but I do think anyone you can exchange every 4 years from power can not be that important because things move over decades when it comes to countries not a few years.

acadia11

Banned
Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
Reagan left us with a debt we can never repay.

Well actually Clinton repaid it. Then G W racked the total to new heights.

This is true Reagan tripled the debt under his presidency. The good thing he learned though is that he raised taxes after he saw sharp tax cuts kill revenue, especially in the mist of the Cold War. This is why Bush Sr. Famously said no new taxes. Which he then subsequently raised them again. This is when the GOP was pragmatic and a responsible party.

Clinton did not repay it. He balanced the deficit, meaning we were not adding to the debt. The uS hasn't had 0 debt since the early 1900s, I believe, but I have to look it up though.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I don't think a president is a pawn, but I do think anyone you can exchange every 4 years from power can not be that important because things move over decades when it comes to countries not a few years.

It's not even 4 or 8 years. First the last two years of a first term are getting your campaign together for a second term and the last year of a second term is doing your buddies favors.

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Clinton did not repay it. He balanced the deficit, meaning we were not adding to the debt. The uS hasn't had 0 debt since the early 1900s, I believe, but I have to look it up though.

Yeah good point. Sounded good though.

kilofoxtrot

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I share Sean's view about a president being a pawn. It is usually whoever the party grooms that person to be so they can run and get elected. I say this because I've never been one to defend a president but someone brought up Hurricane Katrina and "tech savvy." Dude, really? Give us some examples of how tech savvy Obama is. The catch is you need to give me those examples in regards to things that previous presidents before him had access to and the same advantages.

And what about Hurricane Katrina exactly? And the shoe throwing incident? What about it? What if Obama gets a shoe thrown at him? What will you say then?

He wasn't president at the time, but he absolutely destroyed McCain when it came to social media. There wasn't an iPhone when he announced his candidacy in 2007... and there is no doubt in my mind he could have use one if it was put in his hand then or now.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
He wasn't president at the time, but he absolutely destroyed McCain when it came to social media. There wasn't an iPhone when he announced his candidacy in 2007... and there is no doubt in my mind he could have use one if it was put in his hand then or now.

I'll give you that. I remember the whole "Obama loves his blackberry" thing.

But in what sense has it served the public and not a campaign? I'm just saying that I think it's a silly thing to argue for his benefit when comparing him to past presidents.

acadia11

Banned
Jan 4, 2014
Visit site

But in what sense has it served the public and not a campaign? I'm just saying that I think it's a silly thing to argue for his benefit when comparing him to past presidents.

Green energy technology, it's the next boom he recognizes this.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I'm just saying that I think it's a silly thing to argue for his benefit when comparing him to past presidents.

Exactly. It's like naming electric cars as a benefit of Obama because we've seen the most technological advancements in said field since he's taken office. If we are to make comparisons between previous presidents and Obama, Bush actually passed legislation for BETTER fuel efficiencies than Obama did...the differences were really quite negligible all things considered, but let's be real, just because the technology pops up during a presidents term doesn't mean he was the man responsible for it or the ease of use created by it's existence.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Green energy technology, it's the next boom he recognizes this.

In 2002, Hydrogen cell technology was the "next boom", and Bush recognized it.

I will give Obama some major kudos though...his backing of Tesla, both as an idea and financially through federal loans (which were repaid faster than any manufacturer that benefited from such) was rather commendable, and I believe what Tesla is bringing to the table in the next few years will really change the face of electric cars.

A895

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site

Being tech savvy has helped him be more in touch and more personal to the people he serves. He did a Reddit AMA, he's on Twitter, etc. He has a smartphone, albeit an older BlackBerry but he at least has a phone. He makes it his mission to focus on tech.

Have you not heard of his initiative for net neutrality? If it goes through, no more data throttling, no more data caps, more ubiquitous high speed internet like Google Fiber. That is what makes him tech savvy, he isn't ignoring the technology aspect and its implications on laws.

While G Bush wasn't elected when smartphone were ubiquitous, the iPhone was around in his second term, and other OSs were around too (WebOS and Windows Mobile, and Symbian for example).

Posted via the iMore App for Android

A895

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
In 2002, Hydrogen cell technology was the "next boom", and Bush recognized it.

I will give Obama some major kudos though...his backing of Tesla, both as an idea and financially through federal loans (which were repaid faster than any manufacturer that benefited from such) was rather commendable, and I believe what Tesla is bringing to the table in the next few years will really change the face of electric cars.

Not only that the advent of electric card has increased the number of charge stations for them. They are available in a lot of gas stations in Metro Atlanta for example.

He has had a more green focused view than past presidents. Which is sad because if past presidents were aware of the future.implications of what was going on, we wouldn't have our work cut out for us now.

acadia11

Banned
Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
Being tech savvy has helped him be more in touch and more personal to the people he serves. He did a Reddit AMA, he's on Twitter, etc. He has a smartphone, albeit an older BlackBerry but he at least has a phone. He makes it his mission to focus on tech.

Have you not heard of his initiative for net neutrality? If it goes through, no more data throttling, no more data caps, more ubiquitous high speed internet like Google Fiber. That is what makes him tech savvy, he isn't ignoring the technology aspect and its implications on laws.

While G Bush wasn't elected when smartphone were ubiquitous, the iPhone was around in his second term, and other OSs were around too (WebOS and Windows Mobile, and Symbian for example).

President can only carry blackberry it's the only phone certified right now for security for President to carry.

acadia11

Banned
Jan 4, 2014
Visit site

Nail in the head the net neutrality initiatives on his part was bold. The guy understands technology , he's not Gore level but he's got a strong pulse on what is driving tech right now.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

Let's be realistic...the iPhone came at the very end of his term (and was not the caliber product it is today...yet). None of the other offerings in the "smart phone" world were even all that useful, and I owned dozens of them...it's like comparing computers of today vs. computers of the 90's, there's just no realistic level of comparison honestly. NOBODY used the devices back then like we do today.

acadia11

Banned
Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
Exactly. It's like naming electric cars as a benefit of Obama because we've seen the most technological advancements in said field since he's taken office. If we are to make comparisons between previous presidents and Obama, Bush actually passed legislation for BETTER fuel efficiencies than Obama did...the differences were really quite negligible all things considered, but let's be real, just because the technology pops up during a presidents term doesn't mean he was the man responsible for it or the ease of use created by it's existence.

Gore and Clinton were directly catalyst for the net boom. Gore more specifically, gore had been working on commercializing net technology since the 70s, and his high performance computing and telecommunications Act of 1991 directly led to funding the creation Mosaic the first Graphical browser. Later would be the foundation of Netscape.

Status
Not open for further replies.