Obama will go down as an exceptional president

Status
Not open for further replies.

A895

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Oh, so it was only blacks in New Orleans? /smh
New Orleans was a predominantly black area, the response to that crisis was horrendously slow, that many came to the conclusions George Bush did not care for the black inhabitants.

A895

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
To the OP: I agree with your post. Obama is possibly one of the best presidents since Eisenhower.

Honey Beagle

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
The health scare plan is a scam. For me it would cost over 300 a month. Should be a voluntary plan. Or mandatory. Oh...Obama is getting monies out of this SCAM.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
New Orleans was a predominantly black area, the response to that crisis was horrendously slow, that many came to the conclusions George Bush did not care for the black inhabitants.

If was my understanding that the problem in N'awlens was the Democratic Mayor and Governor. Had the Mayor been on the ball, he would have used those school buses to get people out. The Governor did nothing. Why blame Bush? When he finally saw nothing was getting done on the local level, he sprang into action. That's how those emergency situations are usually handled. First locally. But for God's sake man, Katrina was like nothing anyone had ever seen before. We can throw blame around all day long. But the truth is that for those first couple of days, no one knew quite what to do. There were no communications in the city. It was a horrible site to see on TV. I think we all felt helpless. I did. I doubt seriously if that situation would have been handled any differently by Obama or any other president. It's different today. We have the hindsight of that incident. And Obama has responded to disasters in a timely manner. But trying to blame one man is ridiculous. I don't blame anyone. We simply were not prepared for such a disaster. Not locally, statewide nor in DC. That's the truth of it!

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.

reseefata107

Nov 23, 2014
Visit site
Hey,
Non of any formal Presidents put on uniform to fight our enemies before; this President should not be the first chief executive to in combat. He didn't personally killed Osama Bin Laden, however, he initiated the plan and the follow service men and women carried on his plans. You may have to change the constitution if want to see sitting President goes to war to fight enemies.

A895

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
If was my understanding that the problem in N'awlens was the Democratic Mayor and Governor. Had the Mayor been on the ball, he would have used those school buses to get people out. The Governor did nothing. Why blame Bush? When he finally saw nothing was getting done on the local level, he sprang into action. That's how those emergency situations are usually handled. First locally. But for God's sake man, Katrina was like nothing anyone had ever seen before. We can throw blame around all day long. But the truth is that for those first couple of days, no one knew quite what to do. There were no communications in the city. It was a horrible site to see on TV. I think we all felt helpless. I did. I doubt seriously if that situation would have been handled any differently by Obama or any other president. It's different today. We have the hindsight of that incident. And Obama has responded to disasters in a timely manner. But trying to blame one man is ridiculous. I don't blame anyone. We simply were not prepared for such a disaster. Not locally, statewide nor in DC. That's the truth of it!

I am not blaming anyone, but anyone who was in New Orleans at the time will tell you they blame Bush for such a slow response.

Les74

May 30, 2011
Visit site

Just out of curiosity...who is responsible for deploying FEMA?

Asking for a friend....

reseefata107

Nov 23, 2014
Visit site
Hey,
It's also truth at the time of disaster, everyone is confused, perplex and doesn't know what to do or where to go for help. However, Bush administration was slow response to people need; It's like wait and see what he can do for people of New Orleans who are already in stage of desperation. What happened to New Orleans is not unprecedented before; Bush and members of his cabinet should have known first aid people in that State needs immediately after Katrina but non has any clue on how to help, What would Bush do if his neighborhood is flooded?

Last edited by a moderator:

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Just out of curiosity...who is responsible for deploying FEMA?

Asking for a friend....
By the president after a request is made from the state. That's how it was then. But that protocol has been changed. Hopefully we won't have another Katrina. The hurricane nor the situation. My son lives just on the north side of Lake Pontchartrain.

Soeasy

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
We may disagree on politics, but we do agree on closing this thread. It serves no useful purpose.

I thought this thread was a great example of our society on a whole.

It started with politics and quickly became a thread about race.

My second Master's(first was Economics. Go Rams!) is in Sociology.

The bottom line is 'pecking order'. For one group of people to move up in a culture/society another has to move down.

Until we achieve economic parity(unrealistic in my opinion), race will always be used to separate the haves from the have-nots.

I remember my first trip for Morgan Stanley to West Virginia for a conference on Pension legislation.

Being born and growing up on Manhattan's Upper East Side blinds you to some economic realities of our country.

As economically disadvantaged as some of the locals were, they wholeheartedly believed the following:

"I might be poor, uneducated even, but at least I'm white."

Now this was quite possibly the most illogical thing I'd ever heard. I thought to myself that poverty knows no color, sexual orientation, religion. etc...

THAT was the 24 year old me right out of grad school preaching the virtues of capitalism and free markets.

17 years later, I still preach the virtues of capitalism and free markets, but the Sociology studies have taught me that mankind, as a species, doesn't actually strive for parity. Yet.

Maybe we'll evolve a bit more and get closer, but right now everyone is just trying to maintain their spot in the pecking order hierarchy.

Last edited:

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
I thought this thread was a great example of our society on a whole.

It started with politics and quickly a thread about race.

My second Master's(first was Economics. Go Rams!)

The bottom line is 'pecking order'. For one group of people to move up in a culture/society another has to move down.

Until we achieve economic parity(unrealistic in my opinion), race will always be used to separate the haves from the have-nots.

I remember my first trip for Morgan Stanley to West Virginia for a conference on Pension legislation.

Being born and growing up in Manhattan blinds you to some economic realities of our country.

As economically disadvantaged as some of the locals were, they wholeheartedly believed the following:

"I might be poor, uneducated even, but at least I'm white."

Now this was quite possibly the most illogical thing I'd ever heard. I thought to myself that poverty knows no color, sexual orientation, religion. etc...

THAT was the 24 year old me right out of grad school preaching the virtues of capitalism and free markets.

17 years later, I still preach the virtues of capitalism and free markets, but the Sociology studies have taught me that mankind, as a species, doesn't actually strive for parity. Yet.

Maybe we'll evolve a bit more and get closer, but right now everyone is just trying to maintain their spot in the pecking order hierarchy.

That is so cynical. You are saying essentially for some to do well as a group it is only at the expense of another group.

That gives the 'haves' an excuse to fear the 'have nots' and the 'have nots' an excuse for reciprocating.

Maybe from an economics perspective that is what had happened / is happening as a whole but I would rather look forward. Probably in every culture that ever was. But we can learn from the past.

I would rather put faith in a united America where class and race and party are all trumped by our bond as Americans.

Let's all take responsibility for ourselves and for those that have been left behind and we can all prosper.

I believe in an America where the dream isn't a zero sum battle. We can be better then that.

Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Soeasy

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
That is so cynical. You are saying essentially for some to do well as a group it is only at the expense of another group.

That gives the 'haves' an excuse to fear the 'have nots' and the 'have nots' an excuse for reciprocating.

Maybe from an economics perspective that is what had happened / is happening as a whole but I would rather look forward. Probably in every culture that ever was. But we can learn from the past.

I would rather put faith in a united America where class and race and party are all trumped by our bond as Americans.

Let's all take responsibility for ourselves and for those that have been left behind and we can all prosper.

I believe in an America where the dream isn't a zero sum battle. We can be better then that.

Cheers.

On my 1st day of freshman Economics, my professor, who is extremely well respected and has written several papers on socio-economic theory, said something very profound within the first 10 mins of class.

He said:

"To have rich people, you must have poor people."

I don't disagree with you about ideals, but some ideals are born before our species is actually ready for them.

I don't consider myself cynical by any measure, but I do prefer to see things as they are and not how I'd like them to be.

Maybe conversations like these can actually help us get there.

Cheers!

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
On my 1st day of freshman Economics, my professor, who is extremely well respected and has written several papers on socio-economic theory, said something very profound within the first 10 mins of class.

He said:

"To have rich people, you must have poor people."

I don't disagree with you about ideals, but some ideals are born before our species is actually ready for them.

I don't consider myself cynical by any measure, but I do prefer to see things as they are and not how I'd like them to be.

Maybe conversations like these can actually help us get there.

Cheers!

Any layman book suggestions not politically motivated? All I ever see are studies or essays with an agenda.

Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox