One of my good friends grew up in New Orleans and was raising his two children and supporting his wife in school (fresh out of the Army no less) when Katrina struck...he was stranded with his family and got to his aunts house where they hunkered down and survived by getting everyone to a FEMA camp about 2 miles away after the storm had subsided and they were able to navigate the area as safely as possible. While there, he contributed his abilities voluntarily as that is the only thing he knew how to do being a properly raised man. His family went back home and tried to collect their lives back together but he stayed few a week longer to help with the FEMA came they were in...he even got shot at one night when he was trying to break up a fight where they were giving fuel to people.

He told me that so many years after all that happened, he didn't blame any one singular person for the response, and that he was glad he lived in the United States where at least there WAS a response, and that he was proud to have helped how he could.

Katrina was the second major hurricane he went through...the first was Andrew, and he told me that even though he was teenager when that storm hit, he remembered that it felt like an eternity before help came and that he remembered being turned away from places to get water because there wasn't enough to give out.

I shared this because I found your comment kind of ridiculous. I very closely know a wonderful man who went through that nightmare and doesn't blame Bush...and the reason is because there's no reason TO blame Bush, or any one singular person. Unpreparedness...it's a nasty thing that envelops a lot of people during that event. He'd tell you today that discussions had taken place for YEARS about the engineering mishaps with the levees, and the fact that regardless of what anyone did, a huge storm would have and still will make easy work of that city.

People like to make things about race...that's just what those who crave this want you to do. Blaming Bush for the response to Katrina would be like blaming Obama for the beheadings of the handful of people we've watched over the last year. Stop looking for scapegoats and start actually trying to help people.
    Again, I didn't say I blamed Bush, I don't know why everyone is gaming up on me like I said it. And the beheadings can't be equated to a natural disaster.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
    palandri likes this.
    12-05-2014 12:55 AM
    New Orleans was a predominantly black area, the response to that crisis was horrendously slow, that many came to the conclusions George Bush did not care for the black inhabitants.
    Sounds like the blaming of Bush to me..
    12-05-2014 07:28 AM
    One of my good friends grew up in New Orleans and was raising his two children and supporting his wife in school (fresh out of the Army no less) when Katrina struck...he was stranded with his family and got to his aunts house where they hunkered down and survived by getting everyone to a FEMA camp about 2 miles away after the storm had subsided and they were able to navigate the area as safely as possible. While there, he contributed his abilities voluntarily as that is the only thing he knew how to do being a properly raised man. His family went back home and tried to collect their lives back together but he stayed few a week longer to help with the FEMA came they were in...he even got shot at one night when he was trying to break up a fight where they were giving fuel to people.

He told me that so many years after all that happened, he didn't blame any one singular person for the response, and that he was glad he lived in the United States where at least there WAS a response, and that he was proud to have helped how he could.

Katrina was the second major hurricane he went through...the first was Andrew, and he told me that even though he was teenager when that storm hit, he remembered that it felt like an eternity before help came and that he remembered being turned away from places to get water because there wasn't enough to give out.

I shared this because I found your comment kind of ridiculous. I very closely know a wonderful man who went through that nightmare and doesn't blame Bush...and the reason is because there's no reason TO blame Bush, or any one singular person. Unpreparedness...it's a nasty thing that envelops a lot of people during that event. He'd tell you today that discussions had taken place for YEARS about the engineering mishaps with the levees, and the fact that regardless of what anyone did, a huge storm would have and still will make easy work of that city.

People like to make things about race...that's just what those who crave this want you to do. Blaming Bush for the response to Katrina would be like blaming Obama for the beheadings of the handful of people we've watched over the last year. Stop looking for scapegoats and start actually trying to help people.
    I'm the one who originally made the Bush comment about New Orleans.....and that was only in direct response to the completely moronic and idiotic statement to Obama hating whites. Sad part about it was that my statement was tongue in cheek. The other....not so much.
    12-05-2014 08:18 AM
    Sounds like the blaming of Bush to me..
    Then you need your ears/eyes checked.

palandri likes this.
    12-05-2014 09:05 AM
    I think it's great that we can even have this conversation.
    hydrogen3 likes this.
    12-05-2014 11:34 AM
    Again, I didn't say I blamed Bush, I don't know why everyone is gaming up on me like I said it. And the beheadings can't be equated to a natural disaster.

You made this comment...

I am not blaming anyone, but anyone who was in New Orleans at the time will tell you they blame Bush for such a slow response.
    ...which is not only untrue, but ridiculous. THAT is what I was referencing. I'm not "gaming up" on you, I'm correcting something you said that is simply not true.

Personally, I don't give a sh*t about presidents...they are all pawns these days anyways, good or bad.
    12-05-2014 01:26 PM

And some people like to pretend miraculously because they say its so race doesn't exist, the fact that you have to so adamantly profess how by your infinite wisdom and non-existent evidence that race isn't an issue.
    12-05-2014 08:02 PM
    You made this comment...

...which is not only untrue, but ridiculous. THAT is what I was referencing. I'm not "gaming up" on you, I'm correcting something you said that is simply not true.

Personally, I don't give a sh*t about presidents...they are all pawns these days anyways, good or bad.
    I didn't say that, I specifically got that from people from New Orleans. It is true. At least from the black people I have talked to. I can't say the same for anyone else.

palandri likes this.
    12-05-2014 11:17 PM
    I always wondered how the people who are first to proclaim there isn't a racial divide in America are usually white.

palandri and Smply_Rcklss like this.
    12-05-2014 11:19 PM
    http://www.bls.gov/cps/cps_htgm.htm

Question. So they calculate employment based on individuals collecting unemployment. Right?

So what about those who had the benefits capped and cut off?

Even if they didn't find another job, according to statistics, they may not be counted towards the percentile.

So we could essentially just have less people collecting unemployment but still essentially out of work?

Just asking a question here.
    12-06-2014 09:15 AM
    http://www.bls.gov/cps/cps_htgm.htm

Question. So they calculate employment based on individuals collecting unemployment. Right?

Even if they didn't find another job, according to statistics, they may not be counted towards the percentile.

So we could essentially just have less people collecting unemployment but still essentially out of work?

You are correct. Majority of the people can not find work.. Thanks to Democratic policies.....
    12-06-2014 09:23 AM
    How the Government Measures Unemployment

That is correct!
    12-06-2014 10:38 AM
    You are correct. Majority of the people can not find work.. Thanks to Democratic policies.....
    There are a number of reasons why people are not able to find work. Placing the blame solely on the Democratic Party is not only immature, but it also shows your ignorance as far as how an economy works.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
    A895, palandri and Soeasy like this.
    12-07-2014 11:26 AM
    There are a number of reasons why people are not able to find work. Placing the blame solely on the Democratic Party is not only immature, but it also shows your ignorance as far as how an economy works.

Or that truth doesn't matter when spewing rhetoric.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    hydrogen3 likes this.
    12-07-2014 11:29 AM

Taking a superior tone is what gives liberals a bad and often deserved rap.

hydrogen3 likes this.
    12-07-2014 11:31 AM
    Taking a superior tone is what gives liberals a bad and often deserved wrap.

Superior tone to who/what? His comment is full of fluff.

A895, palandri and Soeasy like this.
    12-07-2014 11:36 AM
    Superior tone to who/what? His comment is full of fluff.

So say that. You called his opinion immature. That's name calling. Plain and simple.

12-07-2014 11:39 AM
    So say that. You called his opinion immature. That's name calling. Plain and simple.

That's considered name calling? I called him/her out for posting an incorrect comment. Nothing personal.

A895 and palandri like this.
    12-07-2014 11:43 AM
    That's considered name calling? I called him/her out for posting an incorrect comment. Nothing personal.

You were talking down. Ask someone you trust to explain it to you.

12-07-2014 11:47 AM
    You were talking down. Ask someone you trust to explain it to you.

Naw, it's not that serious.

palandri and Soeasy like this.
    12-07-2014 11:52 AM
    I think people can find jobs, only problem is the quality. Sure you'll take a massive pay cut, but you'll have a job.

Guess for me, I always live in a way that's less than what I make. Just in case I go under, I could still scrimp by.
    the_tech_eater and hydrogen3 like this.
    12-07-2014 01:12 PM
    I think people can find jobs, only problem is the quality. Sure you'll take a massive pay cut, but you'll have a job.

Guess for me, I always live in a way that's less than what I make. Just in case I go under, I could still scrimp by.
    Yeah, there are jobs out in South Dakota in the oil and gas industry that start out at $16+/hr. You just have to be willing to relocate and work hard.

12-07-2014 01:22 PM
    Yeah, there are jobs out in South Dakota in the oil and gas industry that start out at $16+/hr. You just have to be willing to relocate and work hard.

I retired at age 52. My Wife says I don't know what work is anymore.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.
    the_tech_eater likes this.
    12-07-2014 04:01 PM
    I retired at age 52. My Wife says I don't know what work is anymore.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.
    If I have the opportunity to retire that young, I'm going for a second retirement! I have a second cousin in Florida that retired from three jobs for the city and county, and then got elected county commissioner.

Ledsteplin likes this.
    12-07-2014 04:04 PM
    I didn't say that, I specifically got that from people from New Orleans. It is true. At least from the black people I have talked to. I can't say the same for anyone else.

The person I referenced IS black. And he's from New Orleans. He doesn't say it, rendering your comment inaccurate. You said it yourself "at least from the black people I have talked to...", you've apparently not talked to all of them, so why lump all of them together? They obviously don't ALL have the same sentiment.

That's like me saying "Black people hate white people.", and then someone saying "That's not true, I'm black and don't hate white people." and me retorting "Well, the black people I know hate white people."
    12-09-2014 12:04 PM
938 ... 89101112 ...