Why is the climate change debate a political one in the United States?

A895

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
I don't understand it either, key stone is boon to Canada, not the US why are some Americans so adamant about supporting it.

Two phrases:

Corporate Lobbying

Temp Jobs

Especially the temp jobs that people think will help so much when in reality those josb won't be available all at once and they will only accept qualified individuals. And has anyone ever said how long would it take to complete construction if they do make it? Something tells me a project this big will take at least 5-6 years or more, maybe a decade.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

A895

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Gas is low, but again why do people thin the keystone pipeline would reduce or keep prices low?

They think the oil and gas will go immediately to America when that is not the case. Oil and gas is free market products and all that land and labor America would give to constructing, we won't even see the most amount of the oil from it because people forget this is a private corporation that owns the pipeline, not the government or people.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

A895

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Maybe with this topic people will actually realize that the sources feeding them their info might be a bit biased. Or not.

More evidence:
Public Religion Report Climate Change - Business Insider
TL:DR - The oceans have warmed. People want to believe that warming isn't an issue for many different reasons.
Oh well.

7% believed god was controlling the weather or that the info on climate change was propaganda, that is scary.

Posted via the iMore App for Android

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
7% believed god was controlling the weather or that the info on climate change was propaganda, that is scary.

Religion is as good an excuse as any other.

The real scary part is that 51% of people in the study were deniers. According to the study only 1 in 4 republicans believe in climate change compared to 65% of democrats. Clearly this is a political devide.

Instead of seeing the debate as political the deniers will just say that scientists (97%) and media are biased. I would like to remind everyone that the practice of science is to remove bias. But I digress.

There are so many arguing on behalf of their party beliefs rather then go with pure science. That's the scary part. Why there aren't 97% of believers in both parties is unfortunate.

http://publicreligion.org/research/...-climate-change-environmental-policy-science/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hydrogen3

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
"NASA Study Finds Earth’s Ocean Abyss Has Not Warmed," NASA discussed research it had conducted that was "the first to test the idea using satellite observations, as well as direct temperature measurements of the upper ocean." NASA stated in this release, "The cold waters of Earth’s deep ocean have not warmed." A new NASA study, leaving unsolved the mystery of why global warming appears to have slowed in recent years

hydrogen3

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site

Kind of funny... how we call an "Earth quake" "Tornado" any natural disaster "an act of God"

A895

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Kind of funny... how we call an "Earth quake" "Tornado" any natural disaster "an act of God"

I don't, I call them natural occurrences. Not everyone believes that some omnipotent beings has his fingers in every pie.

A895

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Reading this thread reminds me of a Congressional Debate in DC.
Before you buy in to the "97%" myth, you should read this. Just because Obama says something doesn't make it true!
http://m.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052702303480304579578462813553136?mobile=y

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.

Just because some guys have vested interest in denying climate change does not make what they say true!

http://www.salon.com/2014/05/28/wsjs_shameful_climate_denial_the_scientific_consensus_is_not_a_myth/

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Before you buy in to the "97%" myth, you should read this. Just because Obama says something doesn't make it true!

The 97% is from Business Insider not the Pres. I would doubt he has climate science expertise of any kind. (Perhaps that was just a poke at my pinko side and I just missed the sarcasm.)

I will read the link though.

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site

Perhaps this is classism - my WSJ subscription was getting too expensive so I don't have access behind the paywall anymore. I guess I will have to remain poor and uninformed.

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Just because some guys have vested interest in denying climate change does not make what they say true!

http://www.salon.com/2014/05/28/wsjs_shameful_climate_denial_the_scientific_consensus_is_not_a_myth/

Just because the Koch brothers paid some scientists to debunk common thinking doesn't make the 97% false either. Or so says Salon. (They aren't exactly unbiased of course.)

Isn't picking the evidence that matches our POV exactly what we should all avoid?

acadia11

Banned
Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
"NASA Study Finds Earth?s Ocean Abyss Has Not Warmed," NASA discussed research it had conducted that was "the first to test the idea using satellite observations, as well as direct temperature measurements of the upper ocean." NASA stated in this release, "The cold waters of Earth?s deep ocean have not warmed." A new NASA study, leaving unsolved the mystery of why global warming appears to have slowed in recent years

How does this prove that climate change isn't happening??? Or for that matter the earth isn't warming?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice