Why is the climate change debate a political one in the United States?

Amamba

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
Of course it is and I am not advocating immediate solutions, my point is that there are a large number of people who flat out Deny climate change or as evidenced by hydro they think it is a political agenda involving people from around the world. Because there is so much political involvement in climate change that, that gradual change is even more smaller.

Posted via the iMore App for Android

That's just the nature of the beast, everything is politicized. Especially when the corporate profits are on the line, or when the religion is involved. But this again goes both ways, many extreme environmentalists are cult like and would gladly destroy the economy in the name of greater good (which would turn out not so great).

Plus, in the US the politics tend to be full of drama and people who are not afraid to make completely outrageous, ridiculous statements. European politicians are more suave and more willing to talk about saving the planet. More willing to push their policies an extra step, too, i'll give them that. But you don't see them making any one sided extreme moves either, it's not like Norway or Scotland stopped drilling oil in the Atlantic. They are greener than US in their policies but they also tend to have more pollution per cubic meter due to the higher density of population and industry, and European countries are very urbanized, which is not good for the environment.

A895

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
That's just the nature of the beast, everything is politicized. Especially when the corporate profits are on the line, or when the religion is involved. But this again goes both ways, many extreme environmentalists are cult like and would gladly destroy the economy in the name of greater good (which would turn out not so great).

Plus, in the US the politics tend to be full of drama and people who are not afraid to make completely outrageous, ridiculous statements. European politicians are more suave and more willing to talk about saving the planet. More willing to push their policies an extra step, too, i'll give them that. But you don't see them making any one sided extreme moves either, it's not like Norway or Scotland stopped drilling oil in the Atlantic. They are greener than US in their policies but they also tend to have more pollution per cubic meter due to the higher density of population and industry, and European countries are very urbanized, which is not good for the environment.

Before environmental reform, we need to focus on government reform. Lobbying, campaigning, and PAC laws all need to be fixed. To much money goes from corporate people to our government leaders to make and enforce laws more favorable to those who contribute the most. Unethical to the extreme.

Amamba

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
Before environmental reform, we need to focus on government reform. Lobbying, campaigning, and PAC laws all need to be fixed. To much money goes from corporate people to our government leaders to make and enforce laws more favorable to those who contribute the most. Unethical to the extreme.

Easier said than done. But, limiting the amount of influence that corporations and moneyed special groups have on the elected officials is always a good thing, that's something we can all agree on.

A895

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Easier said than done. But, limiting the amount of influence that corporations and moneyed special groups have on the elected officials is always a good thing, that's something we can all agree on.

It can be done, if enough people pay attention and stop voting for politicians whose pockets are lined with corporate money. It is like I told people on r/conspiracy on Reddit, unless you actively vote and participate in government of course nothing will change. They are of course more stubborn than most people and some I feel are outright crazy, but that is another topic.

But us as people we have the power to vote for people who aren't Republican or Democratic, people just refuse to pay attention to politics in order to do so.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I find it interesting that all the Democrats who voted for, or supported, the Gang of 8 amnesty bill were all defeated, save for maybe 2. :)
Oh. How that relates to climate change? It gets hot down on the Rio Grande!

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.

Last edited:

Soeasy

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
I'm hoping that some realize there's a really big difference between 'global warming' and 'climate change'.

Global warming may be debated ad nauseam.

Climate change is not debatable. It's ALWAYS happening, as we live on dynamic planet.

Whether it's man-made or not is what people need to figure.

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site
I find it interesting that all the Democrats who voted for, or supported, the Gang of 8 amnesty bill were all defeated, save for maybe 2. :)
Oh. How that relates to climate change? It gets hot down on the Rio Grande!

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.
Let's be honest the BIGGEST LOSER IN THE MIDTERM ELECTIONS WAS THE ENVIRONMENT.

cmrobbins42

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
"Why is the climate change debate a political one in the United States?"

As is evident by this thread humans like to push their own agendas instead of trying to find a common ground upon which we can encourage change for the better.

Forget Global Warming. Pollution is an issue and we should try to limit it whether or not it is causing immediate damage to our environment.

Now I'll get out of the way so the kids can continue their petty arguments (btw this thread is how I imagine Congress works.)

hydrogen3

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
"Why is the climate change debate a political one in the United States?"

Forget Global Warming. Pollution is an issue and we should try to limit it whether or not it is causing immediate damage to our environment.

I agree.

1. Forget "global warming" or "climate collapse" Climate scam

2. Pollution is a problem..whether or not it is causing immediate damage to our environment.

cmrobbins42

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
I agree.

1. Forget "global warming" or "climate collapse" Climate scam

2. Pollution is a problem..whether or not it is causing immediate damage to our environment.

If you actually agreed you would drop trying to push your agenda.

The world needs less people like you and more people who don't care to take sides and just want improvement.

hydrogen3

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
If you actually agreed you would drop trying to push your agenda.

The world needs less people like you and more people who don't care to take sides and just want improvement.

I have no agenda.. I state fact..these arguments can not be broken....There is no "climate collapse" It's a natural cycle..

Besides..The global warming theory is the liberal hoax.. That's there agenda!

cmrobbins42

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
I have no agenda.. I state fact..these arguments can not be broken....There is no "climate collapse"

"Forget global warming" - Me
"I agree" "Here's another link to help us forget." - You

Forget = letting it go; something you cannot do.

Please come up with another ridiculous reply to further prove my point.

hydrogen3

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
"Forget global warming" - Me
"I agree" "Here's another link to help us forget." - You

Forget = letting it go; something you cannot do.

Please come up with another ridiculous reply to further prove my point.

Apparently neither can you.

Again these arguments can not be broken..

cmrobbins42

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
Apparently neither can you.

Again these arguments can not be broken..

Yes, the argument that you can't let something go is indeed a fact. (See the rest of this thread for proof.)

Notice that I didn't have a foot on either side so you started arguing with me about.......nothing.

Funny: when the Libertarians/Democrats/Liberals/Independents cannot break an argument or offer proof to state otherwise. it resorts to this… (I’m rubber and you are glue)

Seriously….

Funny I haven't read any intelligent independent thoughts coming from you. Just you loving to read your own text and the deep seeded fear that you won't have the last comment.

Also, stop trying to push politics and global warming conspiracy articles at me. I care about neither. If you had actually comprehended my first post you would've realized that.

Again tho it isn't about what i say. It's just you liking to talk and talk.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2