Breaking Supreme Court news

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I actually saw that the Supreme Court ruled the business have the right to refuse birth control on religious grounds.

hydrogen3

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Yes that's correct... OBAMA care will cover the contraceptives. Gov subsided contraception.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
This country is quickly becoming the s#!✝hole of the world. Time to get rid of this administration. Governing by fiat, executive orders whenever BHO doesn?t like something, spying, invading our privacy and unemployment approaching 15-18% (despite what is being "reported", as they don?t count the unemployed who have completely given up). The cradle to the grave government handout program is running full speed ahead, and the cost is piled on the backs of those of us who do have jobs. What a sorry way to run anything - especially a country that was once as great as 'Merica was.

hydrogen3

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
"cradle to the grave government handout program." lol..... Can anyone name and talk about a federal government-run program, over the last 50 years, that works/worked effectively and efficiently?

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
"cradle to the grave government handout program." lol..... Can anyone name and talk about a federal government-run program, over the last 50 years, that works/worked effectively and efficiently?

Prohibition
Social Security
Affordable Health Care
Medicare/Medicaid
War on Drugs
Farm Subsidies
Green Jobs/Subsidies (Solyndra, etc)
School Lunch Subsidies
Veterans Administration

Um, no.

hydrogen3

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Green Party press release.

Headline
Green Party: Supreme Court's Hobby Lobby ruling should boost the movements for single-payer national health care and abolition of corporate personhood
Date
2014-07-01 00:00:00
PR Content
GREEN PARTY OF THE UNITED STATES
Green Party of the United States | Homepage

For Immediate Release:
Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Contacts:
Scott McLarty, Media Coordinator, 202-904-7614, mclarty@greens.org
Starlene Rankin, Media Coordinator, 916-995-3805, starlene@gp.org

Greens condemn the ruling, which holds that "corporate rights supersede the rights of women"

Green Party Speakers Bureau: Green leaders available to speak on health care, women's rights, and corporate power
Speakers Bureau of The Green Party of the United States

Green Party 2014 Annual National Meeting in St. Paul, Minn., July 24-27
"Back to Our Roots: People. Planet. Principles."
30 Years of Green ... 2014 Green Party Annual National Meeting

WASHINGTON, D.C. -- Green Party leaders and candidates strongly condemned the Supreme Court's Burwell v. Hobby Lobby Stores ruling, and said that the decision should motivate more people to demand single-payer national health care and abolition of corporate "personhood."

"The Supreme Court's ruling lays bare the need to separate health insurance from employment status and exposes the absurdity of affording corporations the same constitutional rights as natural persons," said Isa Infante, Green candidate for Governor of Tennessee (Isa Infante for Governor of Tennessee).

"The ruling grants business corporations the 'religious freedom' to impose the beliefs of owners on the lives of employees and tamper with their medical care on the basis of the owners' beliefs. We hope that the anger provoked by the ruling leads people to join the Green Party's call for Medicare For All and a constitutional amendment affirming that human beings, not corporations, are persons entitled to constitutional rights," said Ms. Infante.

The Green Party of the United States supports making replacing the current for-profit health insurance system (maintained under the Affordable Care Act) and employer-based coverage with a single-payer program that establishes quality health care as a basic human right.

Greens called single-payer more urgently needed in the wake of the ACA's failure to contain medical costs, projected to rise 6.8% in 2015 ("well in excess of the rate of inflation"; see Disturbing PwC report on employer medical cost trends - PNHP's Official Blog), and a Commonwealth Fund report published June 16 on the high cost and low quality of U.S. health care (U.S. Healthcare: Most Expensive and Worst Performing - Olga Khazan - The Atlantic).

The Green Party also supports passage of an amendment rescinding the legal status of corporations as persons that possess the same rights and protections of the U.S. Constitutions that humans enjoy (https://movetoamend.org).

Greens agreed with the widespread criticisms of the 5-4 Hobby Lobby ruling handed down on Monday, including Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg's sharply worded dissenting opinion. The ruling denies women who don't share their employers' religious beliefs access to coverage under their health plan for contraception, interfering with the right of women to make medical decisions for themselves in consultation with their physicians and placing a financial hardship on many women.

The ruling also applies the First Amendment's guarantee of religious freedom to for-profit corporations that exist for nonreligious purposes and that employ and sell its wares to people regardless of their beliefs.

"Five men on the Supreme Court decided that, not only do corporations have constitutional rights, but corporate rights supersede the rights of women," said Amy Balderrama, Green candidate for Tennessee State Senate, 23rd District (Balderrama for Senate - Balderrama for State Senate). "Furthermore, Hobby Lobby has profited from investments in companies that manufacture the same abortion and contraception products that Hobby Lobby denies women employees for religious reasons -- a gross hypocrisy the five justices chose to overlook."

(See "Hobby Lobby's Hypocrisy: The Company's Retirement Plan Invests in Contraception Manufacturers" by Molly Redden, Mother Jones, April 1, Hobby Lobby's Hypocrisy: The Company's Retirement Plan Invests in Contraception Manufacturers | Mother Jones)

Although the ruling's scope is limited, it establishes a dangerous precedent: as Justice Ginsburg noted in her dissent, it may allow corporations to evade nearly any law that they claim to be "incompatible with their sincerely held religious beliefs... Would the exemption ... extend to employers with religiously grounded objections to blood transfusions (Jehovah's Witnesses); antidepressants (Scientologists); medications derived from pigs, including anesthesia, intravenous fluids, and pills coated with gelatin (certain Muslims, Jews, and Hindus); and vaccinations[?] ... Not much help there for the lower courts bound by today's decision." (Bloomberg Law - Document - Burwell v. Hobby Lobby Stores, Inc., No. 13-354 and 13-356, 2014 BL 180313 (U.S. June 30, 2014), Court Opinion)

See also:

Text of the Supreme Court's Burwell v. Hobby Lobby Stores ruling, June 30, 2014
Bloomberg Law - Document - Burwell v. Hobby Lobby Stores, Inc., No. 13-354 and 13-356, 2014 BL 180313 (U.S. June 30, 2014), Court Opinion

National Women's Caucus of the Green Party
Green Party - National Womens Caucus

MORE INFORMATION

Green Party of the United States Green Party of the United States | Homepage
202-319-7191

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
In a Supreme Court decision. The Gov. Will subsidies contraception.

Why?

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

Because Obama wants everyone to rely on the government. That's why government continues getting larger and we get all these programs/subsidies that just add to the already insurmountable debt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I'm surprised there are so many non-liberals here on iMore! :)

A non-Liberal? I'm a conservative. I have voted Republican/Conservative since I was 18. I'm 61 now. Our country has become one big mess under Obama. No president has been perfect. But this community organizer should never have been elected. And I sure won't vote for the Hillionaire, should she run. Is this what's known as "Off Topic" on this forum? :D

Sent from from my iPhone 5

the_tech_eater

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
A non-Liberal? I'm a conservative. I have voted Republican/Conservative since I was 18. I'm 61 now. Our country has become one big mess under Obama. No president has been perfect. But this community organizer should never have been elected. And I sure won't vote for the Hillionaire, should she run. Is this what's known as "Off Topic" on this forum? :D

Sent from from my iPhone 5

I'm 16, and I'm a republican as well. The reason I used "non-liberal", is that there are non-republicans that are fed up with the way things are going, and I felt it would have been exclusive to only include republicans in what I said. :) There are a lot of democrats that are fed up with it, including my super-liberal aunt!(which means things are really bad!!)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73