An AR game for Christians

bamita831

Jul 8, 2019
Visit site
My name is Alaina, and I have been, until recently, been an avid Pokemon Go player. However, as a Chhristian, I am frequently reminded that the translation of Pokemon is Pocket Monsters, and some call them Pocket Demons. In church the other day, I had an idea for a Biblical version that woul appease both trainers and Christians alike. It would be a Bible character 'catcher' game. Because I am a woman of VERY minimal means, I am hoping to put it out there to get help implementing the game. I don't do programming, or I'd do a basic version. Here's how it would go... Use the same maps as Pokemon GO, but you use a heart to catch the Bible characters (the Bible talks about hiding the Word in your heart, see?), and Pokestops would be sources of armor and stuff used for evolving the character, which is basically putting appropriate armor on them. Gyms would be a Bible verse challenge, and teams could be Old Testament or New testament. What do you think? Hopefully we can make it as addictive as this game, cuz I KNOW I'm hooked! lol It would just be good to have a game we Christians can play without it being frowned on, like Pokemon GO tends to be. It would encourage people to walk AND read their Bible. I'm sorry but I don't have a website for the idea or anything, or I'd share. I just do FB.

Last edited:

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I think this sounds like a very interesting idea and I hope that you can figure out a way to develop it!

KermEd

Mar 28, 2014
Visit site
...It would just be good to have a game we Christians can play without it being frowned on, like Pokemon GO tends to be. It would encourage people to walk AND read their Bible.

Thanks for the shout out Rich :). First I just want to take a moment and say this is a good idea for many reasons. Right now I'm also working on the most violent video game we've ever made (it's teddy bears, so toy on toy violence) but an AR app like this might be good for my soul ;).

And I know you are sharing it out there just to try and inspire but in case anyone wants to push it all the way through, I thought I'd provide some paths forward.

There are a few ways to get a developer to make it. My advice is, rather than ask people for money or show ads, see if there is a grant or a church that can cover part of the costs. If they can cover all of it, the game could just be a free game no strings attached. I'd also see if they would be willing to do a short VR story attached to the AR game. VR is amazing at story telling.

We are an active AR/VR studio with over 200 mobile apps and more AR/VR apps than I can count at the moment... but we are picky about projects and on the lower end - so it should help get an idea of costs. For a game like this we would probably charge around 15k (and the hourly rate would be about 40/hr USD). We charge our commercial clients more (125/hr).

Our other north american competitors are 150/hr to 300/hr (I know crazy prices right). Our two closest competitors here would charge about 60k to 250k for a project this size.

There are also overseas studios, which could get costs as low as 20/hr but they will probably charge about 25k (because it's their first time building something like this).

Alright so that is if you go the costs route. You could also get a church to take on a comp sci intern with AR as their focus. Depending on where you are that could be free or at low cost. And would let you really drive the software.

The last option, is someone with free time could also help create it on here. There are AR and multiplayer frameworks that are free that they might be able to leverage. But it requires a very specific skillset (i.e. unity + play fab + photon + arcore/arkit/Vuforia/etc). Out of our local competitors we are the only ones I know doing all of those, and they are tricky to learn...

The hard part for a studio like ours is we got 10 guys and gals working away and we need to cover their bills and the office space. And I'd recommend going the cheap free route.

Anyway you could also try posting it as a job on freelancer etc. But that is a risk youll get an unusable project.

That's my two cents, and a peek behind the hood. I usually don't share numbers because we don't try to be cheap, but sometimes it helps know what to look out for.

bamita831

Jul 8, 2019
Visit site
Thanks for all the help! I am DEFINITELY on a fixed income, so I need to have all the help I can get, and factor in my being legally blind. I have no know-how, but I know some people who may be able to do this. I frequently go to AUM ( Auburn University at Montgomery), so maybe someone can do it as a final project. Or maybe someone at Faulkner can do it. They're a Christian university.

If I offended anyone with my comments in my original post to cause the infraction, I apologize.

KermEd

Mar 28, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for all the help! I am DEFINITELY on a fixed income, so I need to have all the help I can get, and factor in my being legally blind. I have no know-how, but I know some people who may be able to do this. I frequently go to AUM ( Auburn University at Montgomery), so maybe someone can do it as a final project. Or maybe someone at Faulkner can do it. They're a Christian university.

This is a good plan. I strongly recommend using local communities. I'd also recommend looking for business students as well, I would think it's possible there is a grant or fund that they might be able to apply for from a private funder like the university. It's always possible someone reading the thread will get inspired as well :)

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
An idea: There is a Christian radio show geared toward families called Adventures in Odyssey. I could see the shows producers getting behind such an app.

andysoft

Dec 19, 2019
Visit site
The idea is great, but aren't it against Bible to have a dependance on a things like games? It's hazard, and if I understand right - playing hazard games it's a sin itself

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2