I've been having trouble knowing which Pokemon I should use (to evolve or power up).

- So if 1 Pokemon has a Higher CP and the other has a higher HP, which one is better?
    - What about the white bar? If 2 Pokemon have similar stats, is the one that is a little less filled the stronger one? (better to level up, what if not going to use stardust on it?)

I tried a couple of those IV Calculators, but they seem to be such broad ranges (50-90% or 60-80%, or not able to calculate), so it doesn't seem to do much for me. I never really understood the IV training in the Pokemon Gameboy games either.

Thanx for any help.
    read more: nhac chuong hay, ringtone downloads
    Last edited by doomsmith; 05-09-2017 at 05:04 AM.
    05-08-2017 03:54 AM
    Welcome to iMore!

I don't know the answer but am curious as well. I usually just evolve up as I get candies though be aware some of the next level Pokémon use the same candies so don't use them on the lower level ones. Don't do many gym battles.

I'm sure someone like @metllicamilitia will know!
    05-08-2017 04:45 AM
    I've been having trouble knowing which Pokemon I should use (to evolve or power up).

- So if 1 Pokemon has a Higher CP and the other has a higher HP, which one is better?
    - What about the white bar? If 2 Pokemon have similar stats, is the one that is a little less filled the stronger one? (better to level up, what if not going to use stardust on it?)

I tried a couple of those IV Calculators, but they seem to be such broad ranges (50-90% or 60-80%, or not able to calculate), so it doesn't seem to do much for me. I never really understood the IV training in the Pokemon Gameboy games either.

Thanx for any help.
    Knowing which Pokémon to evolve depends on whether you just want to a casual player or a competitive player. If you want to be competitive then you need to consider the IV's, if you want to be a casual player then it doesn't matter. The CP bar does not matter at all when it comes to determining which Pokémon to evolve for competitive reasons (unless you have multiple Pokémon of the same type with high IV's). I've never used an IV calculator for Pokémon Go so I can't help you there, the team leader will tell you enough with the appraisal feature, and each team has different phrasings so it would be nice to know which team you're on to help with that. Pokémon Go just like the GameBoy games has the IV's predetermined so it's all just a matter of chance without cheating. If breeding ever comes to Pokémon Go then IV's may be easier, however, in the GameBoy games IV breeding requires the parents to hold training items. Long answer short, if you're looking to spend time battling gyms then pay attention only to the IV's when determining which Pokémon to evolve and power up. Let me know which team you're on and I can help you out with what the team leader says for its level of IV's.
    05-08-2017 08:11 AM
    For the moment, I just stick to the appraisal feature. If (s)he says the Pokémon is great, then that's the one I evolve and use for gym battles.

I'm a fairly casual player so I just wait till the CP bar (white circle bar) goes all the way to the end and then evolve.
    05-08-2017 10:02 AM
    For example, Team Instinct will say these things for a Pokémon with max IV's

"Your xxxx looks like it can battle with the best of them"
    "Its HP is its best stat"
    "Its defense is really great too"
    "Its attack is really great too"
    "Its stats are the best I've ever seen"

If the Instinct team leader says it can battle with the best of them then the IV's are in the 80-100% range. If he says it's the best he's ever seen then that stat is 100%. Each team has a different phrasing for this.
    05-08-2017 11:06 AM
    A more up to date reply: Currently IV calculator using the attributes and their current statistics are able to narrow it down more accurately to between 81-85%. So let's say you check IV's for both of your dragonites. One has 50% IV but it's CP is 3100. Your other dragonite has 78% IV's but it's CP is 2950. Which one is better in battle? well IV's do trump CP for the most part so I personally would choose the 78% IV dragonite as it will get more damage done. But to make the final decision id look at both of the pokemons fast attacks and charged attacks and base my choice off of what pokemon I will be facing so that I know which one to use. (I'd want to use a super effective attack rather than a not effective, but in this example the two dragonite's are quite similar in importance and in damage done)
    07-31-2018 04:15 PM