Ask me about Pok?mon Go!

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Mr. @metllicamilitia:

I have owned my first gym. Couple of questions though. If another team tries to take over the gym and they hurt my Pok?mon, is there a way to heal him with potions while he?s still there defending the gym? I see that he?s still listed in my list of Pok?mon. So I?m assuming just heal him as usual with potions?

Also, will I be able to tell if my Pok?mon has been hurt in battle? Should I check on him every couple of hours? Or every single hour? Is there a strategic way to do this?

IUpdate: Another question has entered my mind. Now that my Vaporeon is stationed there, am I still able to engage in a friendly battle with that gym I own to raise its prestige? I could go and find out by trying, but it's a decent walk away and the answer to this question will help me decide if I need to go back tonight.

Thank you kindly, Sir.

Pok?mon are automatically healed after winning battles in the gym. You will get him back to use wherever after he has been removed from the gym and then you will need to heal him. You can train at that gym with other Pok?mon you have to raise prestige, however while your Pok?mon is in the gym it stays there until it is removed.

Rafagon

Sep 4, 2014
Visit site
Pok?mon are automatically healed after winning battles in the gym. You will get him back to use wherever after he has been removed from the gym and then you will need to heal him. You can train at that gym with other Pok?mon you have to raise prestige, however while your Pok?mon is in the gym it stays there until it is removed.
I'm sorry to get so technical, but after what you told me, I'm wondering...

If I train at that gym with my other Pok?mon and my other Pok?mon defeat all three Pok?mon currently stationed there, does that hurt the gym's prestige?

Or will the gym's prestige be raised regardless of the outcome of the training/battles that I fight there with my other Pok?mon?

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
If I train at that gym with my other Pok?mon and my other Pok?mon defeat all three Pok?mon currently stationed there, does that hurt prestige?

Or will the prestige be raised regardless of the outcome of the training/battles?

The more Pok?mon you defeat while training, the more prestige your gym will earn. While training you can only raise prestige, likewise while battling opposing gyms you can only decrease prestige.

Rafagon

Sep 4, 2014
Visit site
The more Pok?mon you defeat while training, the more prestige your gym will earn. While training you can only raise prestige, likewise while battling opposing gyms you can only decrease prestige.

I don't know if I did something wrong, or perhaps I'm misinterpreting what I'm looking at. I went to the gym I had owned earlier today to train with my gymmates. There were three of us total before I began the fight. I fought, I defeated one of my gymmates, and afterwards, there were only two of us, and the gym's prestige had declined. Here are before and after screenshots.

IMG_2457.jpg IMG_2458.jpg

Based on what you told me, my training with my own gymmates should not have removed him from the Defenders roster, even if I defeated him... but it appears that it might have. Could it have?

Unfortunately, I cannot say with certainty that the Pok?mon which was removed was the one I defeated; therefore, the other possibility is that someone from an opposing team also stepped in and also defeated one of my gymmates at the same time that I was sparring with my gymmates.

In any case, soon thereafter an opposing color took over the gym; I went to another nearby gym and took that one over. :)

Yes, I had a lot of potions on me. Might as well put them to use!

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I don't know if I did something wrong, or perhaps I'm misinterpreting what I'm looking at. I went to the gym I had owned earlier today to train with my gymmates. There were three of us total before I began the fight. I fought, I defeated one of my gymmates, and afterwards, there were only two of us, and the gym's prestige had declined. Here are before and after screenshots.

View attachment 110870 View attachment 110871

Based on what you told me, my training with my own gymmates should not have removed him from the Defenders roster, even if I defeated him... but it appears that it might have. Could it have?

Unfortunately, I cannot say with certainty that the one which was removed was the one I defeated; therefore, the other possibility is that someone from an opposing team also stepped in and also defeated one of my gymmates at the same time that I was sparring with my gymmates.

In any case, soon thereafter an opposing color took over the gym; I went to another nearby gym and took that one over. :)

Yes, I had a lot of potions on me. Might as well put them to use!

Yes, unfortunately an opposing team was battling your gym at the same time and you can decrease prestige far faster than you can raise it.

Rafagon

Sep 4, 2014
Visit site
Yes, unfortunately an opposing team was battling your gym at the same time and you can decrease prestige far faster than you can raise it.

Gotcha! Thanks again!

I noticed, much to my chagrin, that when I took over the second gym and tried to collect my Defender Bonus for that gym that the counter from the first gym takeover I achieved earlier today still applies. So even though I've owned a different gym, I still have to wait the 21 hours starting from the previous gym takeover to collect another Defender Bonus!

Damn cheapskates!!

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Ok, so I have a Pok?mon with, let's say 758 (vaporeon) I've seen some with at least 1k CP. How do I get mine to go higher?

Training at the gym only gets the gym to a higher level. How do you train your pokemon so they get stronger?

Go to your Pok?mon's page and choose the "power up" button. Also, higher level Pok?mon will evolve higher, so when transferring Pok?mon to the professor, always transfer the weakest.

Ron7624

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
I figured instead of flooding the Pok?mon Go page and Q&A page with Pok?mon Go questions, you can ask me, I'll gladly answer any questions you may have.

I have taken over a gym and left a guy and collected my coins and stardust. So, If I leave a Pokemon in a friendly gym alittle later and it stays for 21 hours, I get to collect again. What if I forget? Will the goodies wait for me to collect if we loose the gym after that time period?

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I have taken over a gym and left a guy and collected my coins and stardust. So, If I leave a Pokemon in a friendly gym alittle later and it stays for 21 hours, I get to collect again. What if I forget? Will the goodies wait for me to collect if we loose the gym after that time period?

You can only collect defender bonuses while you have a Pok?mon in a gym. The real gamble is how many gyms you can take over before collecting. You get 10 Pok?coins and 500 stardust per gym you are defending up to 10 gyms, giving you a total of 100 Pok?coins and 5,000 stardust you can collect every 21 hours.

Ron7624

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Man, am i dense lol. I collect as soon as I can. I see now, don't collect till you get a few placed. Yeah, it does sound like a gamble but totally worth it. Thanks for that!

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
With the appraisal feature are IV's more important than CP?

IV's are hidden value points that determine the overall max strength of a Pok?mon. If you take identical Pok?mon that only have differing IV's, the stats will be different. More IV's in HP will garner a higher HP than those that don't. More IV's in defense makes them harder to defeat, and more IV's in attack make them hit harder. I'm not sure if the attack IV's affect CP or not. In the case of Pok?mon Go you're looking for max IV's all around for the strongest all around Pok?mon of that type.

Ron7624

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
I can't figure out to create a spot in a friendly gym to join it. Sometimes the icon is visible in the lower left part of the screen and you can just join. But when it's not there, I figured if you battle and win, then a spot opens up, but I've not been able to do that. What am I missing @metllicmilitia ?

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I can't figure out to create a spot in a friendly gym to join it. Sometimes the icon is visible in the lower left part of the screen and you can just join. But when it's not there, I figured if you battle and win, then a spot opens up, but I've not been able to do that. What am I missing @metllicmilitia ?

You have to battle until the gym prestige reaches the next level. You'll see that at the gym too when select it. How many prestige points it has.

Rafagon

Sep 4, 2014
Visit site
Mr. @metllicmilitia,

I just had a strange experience. I stopped by the gym near my place to see if an attempt to take it over would be feasible. And it was… It had only one single defender, a Cloyster. I fought and easily defeated him.

Then I went to place one of my guys there to defend the gym, obviously. However, I was shocked that it did not let me choose any of my most powerful Pok?mon.

Here are my top Pok?mon (first screenful):

IMG_2650.jpg

And here are the ones I was allowed to choose from (first screenful):

IMG_2649.jpg

Any idea why this happened?

Last edited:

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Mr. @metllicmilitia,

I just had a strange experience. I stopped by the gym near my place to see if an attempt to take it over would be feasible. And it was? It had only one single defender, a Cloyster. I fought and easily defeated him.

Then I went to place one of my guys there to defend the gym, obviously. However, I was shocked that it did not let me choose any of my most powerful Pok?mon.

Here are my top Pok?mon (first screenful):

View attachment 111591

And here are the ones I was allowed to choose from (first screenful):

View attachment 111592

Any idea why this happened?

Well, I'm not sure if it'll let you place a buddy Pok?mon in the gym, as for the others it's probably a bug, I've had it happen to and I'm not sure why. It sounds like a bug to me though. Maybe the game thought they were still in a gym battle.

Rafagon

Sep 4, 2014
Visit site
Well, I'm not sure if it'll let you place a buddy Pok?mon in the gym, as for the others it's probably a bug, I've had it happen to and I'm not sure why. It sounds like a bug to me though. Maybe the game thought they were still in a gym battle.

Aha! I figured it out—well, actually, I started poking around the internet and found an answer. They were not fully healed from a previous battle, that’s why I couldn’t choose them. That health bar for those top three Pok?mon (which looks pretty full to the naked eye) actually wasn’t 100% full. Maybe if they made a partially complete health bar a slightly different shade of green it would be easier for human eyes to spot. But I know that selecting any potion would have shown me any Pok?mon that could use it—I should’ve tried that.

Luckily my Pinsir got some reinforcements: three other Blue trainers have joined to help defend that gym.